Personal View site logo
Square / Circular multi aspect sensor camera - why is nobody making it?
  • I was thinking, this would be an incredibly interesting creative tool. Imagine a Square sensor that can be used as such or cropped to different standards.. approximately m43 size in width. Preferably both for video and stills. (I realize there is no standard for a square format at this moment in time, for video)

IMO this would be a very interesting development and possibility for product differentiation. Could be something for panasonic to pursue?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • I think that such a multi aspect sensor should be circular because the purpose of such a sensor is to maintain the same angle of view for all aspect ratios.

• Sure, why not.. Whatever is easier to make!

• I'll make post about such thing on blog, as I'll have time.

I am all for circular sensor. Issue here is price as you get much smaller output of sensors from same plate.

• IMO it would surpass (the need for) "full frame" on m43 size. Mini-hasselblad. Could be worth an increase in price! :)

• there is no standard for a square format at this moment in time, for video

No, Unfortunately. But TV's race-to-survive has forced channels to squeeze more value out of their existing 16:9 screen real estate.

The square aspect ratio is a useful crop for direct crosses in news to a reporter in mid shot.

Also, notice how the various layouts and crops in the attached screen-grabs still conform to the aspect ratios we already know and love; eg 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1. Seen below, the Direct Cross to the reporter shows him as a 4:3 crop inside a 1:1 box. Later wee see two portrait-mode 19:6es alongside vision in 16:9.

The square aspect ratio is almost perfectly suited to MCU (head & shoulders) shots.

In short, the idea of fixed aspect ratio is losing relevance, as evidenced by TV as well as shopping-mall installations, phones which tend to be held vertically, and more. Square sensors will make for faster work as post production gives way to real-time aspect changes.

DirectCrossMS.png
    512 x 288 - 253K
    DirectCrossWithVision.png
    512 x 288 - 219K
    DirectCrossWithVisionFeature.png
    512 x 288 - 213K
    SimulCross.png
    512 x 288 - 234K
  • I have often wondered about the feasibility of a curved (half sphere) sensor, similar to the retina of the human eye.
    In theory it could reduce some lens issues ... soft edges and vignetting ... at least at the point of capture.

• What I like is not having to turn the camera for portrait. just hold down the portrait/landscape button.