Personal View site logo
Slow Motion for 25p film
  • I'm going to shoot a film at 25p - though one or two shots will be slow motion.

What mode should I record on to get footage as slow as the GH2 can produce? 'Manual Movie Mode?' 'Variable Movie Mode?

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • You need high frame rates, fastest it can do is 720p60, switch camera to ntsc, and to SH mode. Than, you can slow it down to 25p, only note that it's 1280x720. If your project is 1080p, you're gonna have to blowup.

• Do NOT switch your camera to ntsc. Shoot at 720p50 if you're shooting a PAL project, in SH mode. I would have thought you'd be shooting in manual movie mode so you can control shutter speed and aperture yourself.

• Shoot at 720p50 if you're shooting a PAL project

Zackly, @Donnie88.

• ?? He said he wanted his slow motion to be a slow as possible, which means making the camera record at as high a frame rate as possible. 720/60p is the GH2's highest frame rate mode. Though shooting in 60p means he loses the flexibility to keep the footage at normal speed.

• No need to set it to ntsc.
    i have done it and tested.
    Sadly enough there is nothing to win, if you put it back on a 25fps timeline.
    i did hope to that the extra 10 frames ad something, but the extra frames got deleted after rendering....

• @balazer -Sounds right - no NTSC-PAL pulldown going on.

• @mozes

Try processing the 60fps to 25fps in FFMBC.

• -Or, try using FFmpeg:

The only thing you have to do for the video is to change the metadata of your clip. The audio will have to be played slower too, so will sound lower. If you want to fix this, you have to pitch this up (with audacity or sox).

How to do this with ffmpeg? Well, in two steps:

• extract the frames as rawvideo

ffmpeg -i input.mov -f rawvideo -b 50000000 -pix_fmt

yuv420p -vcodec rawvideo -s 1920x1080 -y temp.raw

• recreate the video with new framerate

ffmpeg -f rawvideo -b 50000000 -pix_fmt yuv420p -r 24 -s

1920x1080 -i temp.raw -y output.mov

• To save on needed intermediate disk space, you could send the output of the first to stdout and pipe it to the input of the second

from http://www.hdslr-cinema.com/news/workflow/convert-between-framerates/

• Cheers for the responses guys.

I should have noted that there won't be any audio recorded - ONLY video.

So I should shoot at 720/50p then?

Why SH as opposed to H mode?

• 50 fps to 25 fps is a 2x slowdown. 60 fps to 25 fps is a 2.4x slowdown. It's 20% more, if that makes a difference to you. Shooting 50 fps means you retain the ability to play the footage at normal speed in 25p just by dropping every other frame. You lose that ability if you shoot 60p, though there are imperfect ways to convert between frame rates by blending or interpolating frames.

mozes, you must have done something wrong, as the extra frames of 60p won't be lost if you do it correctly. I know how to do it in Vegas and AviSynth.

SH mode is a higher bit rate than H mode. http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-usage/gh2-usage

• @balazer - Perfect response and very helpful link that sums it up. Thanks Balazer