Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • @Bleach551, you're also comparing used Nikkor glass thats at least 10 years old with a lens that is currently in production and being shipped brand new. That's not exactly fair.

I've seen the voigtlanders go used for 7-800$, so it's not really that much of a difference if you're comparing used glass.

• @Christianhubbard,

You are right that might not be fair to compare those two lenses, one that in some cases 25+ years old to new off the assembly line Voigtlander. But some older lenses like the 20+year old Contax Zeiss 85mm 1.4 MM ($598 to $800 on ebay) have kept their value in comparison to a maybe 5+ year old Samyang 85mm 1.4( $199 to maybe $450 used to new). However, I agree, I can't really compare a cheaper older lens to a brand new more expensive lens.

This lens comparison was done with lenses that I have and have owned and which I will continue to use on future compatible cameras. But "in general" a wider faster lens can be more expensive than a normal(Standard) faster focal length lens( Ex: 25mm 1.4 vs 50mm 1.4). Notice I said "In general" not that it always does.

• Kiwi : 1/100 sec | f/2.8

Clock : f/5.6

@vitaliy_Kiselev the 2th picture is false can you delete it please, sorry for my mistake

CONCLUSION : the GH3 have better darks and is less grainy

iso1250comparaison.png
    1473 x 534 - 1M
    iso1600comparaisongrain.png
    1200 x 480 - 1M
  • @Manu4Vendetta : fantastic link. This is the choice of a right comparison: gh3 vs E-M5 for stills. As we should compare gh3 vs gh2 and vs BlackMagic Cams for video :-)

Both cams are gorgeous.

But there is a huge issue here for comparison : the temperature of white is not the same in the stills. Look at the TIMEX still : the letters (see TIMEX written here): OMD has got very white letter, PANA yellowish letter. That means contrast will not be the same and it is why OLY seems sharper here...So the blue of OMD is deep crispy blue. The blue of gh3 is more yellow etc. So comparison is...difficult.

Is there some photographer round the corner to do the right job?

• Some interesting discussion here and I think we are rapidly reaching the point where there's only so much more that can be said until we get a final-version released unit around to do a lot of tests with.

As far as the talk of the GH2 at the time of its release vs. the GH1, I made the choice to buy a GH2 instead of a hacked GH1 (went to look at one right after the other) because I preferred it in every way except bitrate and because the test material I shot at the time was not demanding enough to push the bitrate on the GH1 (since I hadn't learned how to do that yet). At the time, it wasn't even clear whether the GH2 could be hacked and I had been using a GH1 for months that was too new a model to work with the hack (at the time). But I preferred the resolution, colors, shadows, high ISO, EX mode, frame rate options, audio control, native 24P (without a 60i wrapper), etc. on the GH2. If you compared both of them un-hacked, the only places a GH1 had an advantage were MJPEG 4:2:2 (which I never wanted to shoot in anyway) and possibly low-ISO performance (where I still did not see a clear advantage in the material I was shooting). The macro-blocking advantage would have gone ot the hacked GH1 if I'd shot more demanding material, too.

All I'm saying is, the GH2 was not "looking much worse than the GH1" before the GH2 was hacked, unless you gave it sufficiently detailed scene to push a macro-blocking advantage. I simply was not seeing any videos that made me prefer the GH1 in terms of image quality and every feature I cared about was either the same or better on the GH2. So the idea that the GH2 was looking like a black sheep before it got hacked seems very odd to me. It was a very exciting camera to me when it was released and even more so to me when I had a chance to buy one (even though I was used to shooting with a GH1). Also, there were many things on the GH1 that I did not like (much more than on the GH2). The GH2 was a GH1 +, not a change in direction.

The GH3 does not feel like GH2+. It feels like a change in direction and so the question of whether it can do everything as well as the GH2 is very relevant. How will the marketed DR advantage play out? How big an advantage will the efficiency of the new codec have over the old one and when/if can it be hacked? Have we been given the ability to shoot a softer and lower contrast image than before as well as an image similar to the one on the GH2, or has the overall look just been switched making the old one difficult to mimic? Like I said, I don't think there's too much more to say until the final version is released and starts to get a lot of battle-testing.

@bleach551 I just wanted to add my thoughts on something else, though. If you prefer deep DOF (think Gregg Toland, etc.) then you have more flexibility with an M43 sensor than a larger one because there are wider angle lenses that are only made natively (like the Panasonic 7-14mm) but you have the telephoto options for most larger sensors available as well.

• RED announces a staggering decline in its prices. So, the 4.5k for 4000$! Canon has announced the 5DmIII 3000$ (-500$!). Panasonic will not have to follow the trend? Because ultimately the 1080P to 1200£ it becomes very expensive compared to the 2.5 K BBMC for 3000$ or the 4000$ RED 4.5K? We live in a great time!

• RED announces a staggering decline in its prices. So, the 4.5k for 4000$!

Please use corresponding topic, and no, it is not 4K, as it is old used(!) brain only price, working camera will be much more.

Because ultimately the 1080P to 1200£ it becomes very expensive compared to the 2.5 K BBMC for 3000$ or the 4000$ RED 4.5K? We live in a great time!

I already told about Red. As for BMCC, also check required investments and storage costs.

It is different cameras made for completrely different purposes that somehow mix in the brains of few people.

• Yes, GH3 is ready to shoot! Nevertheless, the price war is good news for us as consumers. And more specifically for those hoping (like me) use for the GH3 brodcoast. I do not leave the subject when I suggest that the shooting units Panasonic competitors are becoming more affordable. And that people like me can now hesitating between 3 or 4 different configurations now affordable. But it is true that RED is in another world. "Official topic GH3 Series 2" I will not use Canon, RED, BBMC words. :)

• If Panasonic hasn't finalized GH3 design yet, they should consider to redesign the evf so that a larger eyecup can be installed optionally.

• @stonebat +1 What took you so long? ;)

• @thepalalias,

I really never liked the "deep" depth of field look. I kind of got tired of it on my Canon XH-A1, which was why I sold it and purchased the Canon 7D instead. Even though I am leaning toward the d600, I realize that deep depth of field will be an issue with a full frame sensor.

If I was still using my Dslr for video only, I would much rather prefer a DX or 1.86X crop sensor of the GH1/GH2. However, since now I use my camera for photography also, I am willing to seriously consider a full frame sensored camera for video.

I know I will have a much harder time than with a DX or 1.86X cropped sensor camera keeping people and other moving subjects in focus near my lenses Maximum apertures especially at night. But, Hopefully if I do get the D600, I will be able to manage that.

• @oscillian I've been saying that for more than a year :(

• now, im worried by seeing this images.

As you can see, yes yes its JPG but moire IS bad in this full res image. I think is part of the prossesor now. Its sad :( Look at the tea bags.

HI RES OMD http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/more-photos-20502/images/highres-olympus-om-d-e-m5-25mm-awb-keep-warm-PA190040_1350679777.jpg

HI RES GH3 http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/more-photos-20502/images/highres-panasonic-lumix-gh3-tea-25mm-P1000361_1350678367.jpg

• @stonebat Yeah, I know! This is for all the DIY ghetto style rubber band eyecups, gaffer taped cardboard sunshades and superglued chinese aftermarket plastic loupes out there: you're still as fresh as newly plucked peaches until Panny wakes up and realizes our needs...

• @endotoxic Every day I walk past a screen behind a fence. And you know what my human eye sees? moire. Its not always the camera's fault. Whether or not we would like to admit it, it is a naturally occurring pattern and 99% of people don't give a shit one way or the other.

I'd much rather have an affordable camera that minimizes 99% of distracting moire than one for twice the price that completely eliminates all moire.

• @christianhubbard +1 I ordered mine already :)

• @christianhubbard

I Fully agree with the moire thing you say about the fence.

I see moire everyday on my room curtains.

And everytime I see, I am thinking of GH3 and what someone will say if I record my curtains with the GH3.

hahaha

They will think it is moire from camera but it is a natural moire not from camera or lens or anything.

• @driftwood

Did you get a chance to play with the GH3 on Thursday?

• @stonebat that EVF eyecup is actually the absolute number one upgrade I would want on the GH2. That alone, would increase the quality of everything I do outdoors by more than 50%. Such an impossibly simple and almost ridiculous problem... light leak... using the EVF outdoors.

It really is funny... I don't need a monitor, I don't need a bigger LCD- In fact I don't even need a better EVF, but what I do need is a way is completely block out everything but the damn image...

I actually ordered a generic $3 eyecup with a bunch of mounts, but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I wonder what screwdriver I need to take off the original housing on the GH2 EVF.

• @ GH2hacker YES! I don't understand how Panny can miss out on such a basic concept...

• Re moire and aliasing.. For me it´s a dealbreaker only if you come home with footage you thought was clean and you find it "unusable". (as relative as that term may be) Getting nasty surprises is not my cup of tea.

• curious about the moire and aliasing issues on the gh3 i keep hearing people discussing. assuming this is actually an issue with the current beta .5 version of the gh3, i'd be curious to hear from an imaging tech how an internal s/w upgrade could remedy a sensor issue. i'm not knowledgeable in these areas. thanks.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions