Personal View site logo
GH3 - Video Clip Length: 240 minutes
  • Accordingly with B&H's sale specifications, the GH3 has a 240 minutes clip length with stereo audio. This is a motive for celebration for live concerts recording and events.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • 4 hour battery life is being a little too optimistic.

• Thanks for your reply. This is when the new battery grip for the GH3, DMW-BGGH3 comes into place. Am I missing something?

• 240 minutes is great. Unless this is 240 minutes of moire patterns from amps and monitor grids and vocalist wearing a checkered shirt ;)

• My GoPro 3 shows that it will hold 3 hours of 40-50 mb/sec video on a 64GB card. Not sure what card is big enough to get 4 hours of the GH3's 50+ mb/sec video on it.

You are much better to get a dedicated audio recorder and feed the line in directly into it then try to match up the audio with the video later. I would say that the more cameras you have the better in that situation. Trying to do it with one camera is extremely difficult.

• @zigizigi come again? new things have come to light, your information is outdated.

and this still isn't even with the final firmware.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

That was with the F0.95 lens. I think most issues that we were seeing were with the 12-35mm. However, I agree that those issues will probably be resolved with the final firmware.

• @mpgxsvcd I sent the 12-35 back for a refund as quick as possible. It has issues of it's own that the GH3 shouldn't be taking the blame for.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

Moire pattern is an illusion that occurs at a particular distance, angle and focal length. It's not like it reveals itself each time someone points his camera at a corrugated iron sheet. It may occur, it may not. Your camera has to be at the right spot for moire to be seen. So if there was moire in an early video and it is not there in this one it doesn't mean that GH3 does not produce it in principle. Most likely these guys were just lucky enough not to meet Monsieur Moiré on their way this particular time.

To answer the question of moire in GH3 once and for all someone has to shoot a proper resolution test pattern. Let's wait and see.

• @zigizigi yeah, and maybe the 1.0 firmware won't have such issues. At the same time, you get what you pay for, if you want a camera that doesn't have such issues, you are gonna have to pay more. I am a fan of the GH2, and that pretty much means I will be a fan of the GH3, so I've ordered one. There are several things better about the GH3, and some things may be the same. If I was to shoot a somewhat professional video for something other than the internet with a camera that has known moire issues, I am going to go out of my way to see to it that I don't shoot clips of objects that will cause those issues. There are a lot of people that want to play off the GH2/GH3 as professional cameras, but lets me honest, it's not true. They are very good cameras and may be able to compete with some of the higher end cameras, but I wouldn't ever expect to see Hollywood shooting motion pictures on a gh3. At the same time, there are ways to reduce/avoid Moire, and if one fails to take these precautions they can only blame themself. From what I see in the "first impressions" video is he somewhat tested and attempted to get moire out of a real life situation and failed, which is a good thing. Either way, I can't wait to get my hands on a GH3 and put it to the test, moire or not lol

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions