Personal View site logo
Hack will help in a Helicopter shoot?
  • Hi, I have the opportunity to do some helicopter shoots, I can use a 5D, t3i, GH1 or GH2 or a HX9V. I just wondered if the Hack will help me on Helicopter shoot? I don't expect to get a straight footage from the camera I hope to do some stabilization later on. any advice is appreciated thanks.
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • I would use a camera with a CCD sensor because rolling shutter artifacts might become be a real problem if you don't have proper stabilisation in a helicopter. You don't need a large sensor camera since you don't need shallow dof (assuming you film the landscape and not the passengers in the helicopter)...
  • It can be done though, i shot GH13 from a chopper in Fiji a few months back and the footage was ok. 720p 50fps. It did need a little mercalli in post though. Just hand held on a monopod with door off and just out of the downdraft.

The ocean shot at 00:30 - 00:40 is the famous Cloudbreak surf reef.

• A beautiful place and very nice footage!

I guess the advantage of handheld-monopod in a helicopter is that your body acts as a damper on the cyclic vibration of the helicopter's air frame.
  • Yes if you hold the monopod just below it's balance point it acts like a poor mans steadycam without the roll.
  • The HX9V is the ideal camera for this purpose (Shooting)
  • @ButtThe HX9V is the ideal camera for this purpose (Shooting)

I'm not sure HX9V will handle motion well, static yes. I think max 28mbps is not enough for 1080p 60fps. The OIS on that camera is good though, same with the Pana TM900