Personal View site logo
25p official topic, aka Don't cry for me Argentina
  • 236 Replies sorted by
  • Well after a day of trying to sync up an interview. gh2 24p close up with midshot shot on HDV at 25p(with the good sound) here are my experiences.

I could not make it work in FCP. Tried conforming both to 25p and 24p in Cinema tools and FCP, i tried dropping them on a 25p timeline and i tried pluraleyes. All these methods caused the sync to waver over a 10 minute clip, badly.

So i downloaded the Trial of Premiere Pro, dropped the 25p clip on a 25p timeline, dropped the 24p on top, synched up the start and it stayed synched all the way through. To my ears and eyes it looked fine.

I've been using FCP for almost a decade, but i'm starting to think it might be time to move. (unless we get 25p on the GH2 :-))

Hope this helps someone.
  • Vitaliy said:
    "GH2 don't have 25p mode amongst sensor setup modes.
    24fps, 50fps, 60fps, 120fps, but no 25fps."

Vitaliy, what about PAL versions of GH2? I know it records at 50i, is there no setup sensors in PAL versions as well?
  • Cry here, maybe someone will listen :-)
    http://getsatisfaction.com/panasonic/topics/25p_cinema_mode

If baby don't cry ...
  • Rage is raising on the pana fb page :)
  • Thanks - added my "wah" to Facebook. Bastards!
  • wha, wha, wha ...
    P has discriminated (us) PAL users, we need 25p ...
    The P should be put in front of Hague court.
  • I saw on the facebook panasonic page (lumix support) a user ranting about the lack of 25p cinema mode :

http://www.facebook.com/Panasonic?sk=app_103744493025213

Maybe a massive flood of messages...
  • CobyD> yeap that helped! Finally i had a true 720p25p. better than no 25p at all. (: im in PAL country. My Sony Vegas keeps showing me 720p50p, thats why i thought it wasnt working. Streamparser and Adobe Premiere Pro confirms its 25p! Thanks man! (:
  • @flyguy - My GH2 is an NTSC model, so the steps I go through are to select the NTSC<>PAL and AVCHD 50P>25P options in PTools, apply the hack, switch the camera over to PAL, and then select AVCHD 720 film mode. At that point it will start shooting 25P; I've confirmed that is so by inspecting with VirtualDub with Viewfields1.2 (both freeware). Streamparser also confirms.

My only suggestion is that if you are starting with a PAL camera, perhaps it somehow works differently? (Seems unlikely.)

Neither 720p50 nor 720p25 are interlaced. Both are frame-based not field based. 50P just has twice as many frames per second. Hope that helps.

• Just wondering, has anyone discovered any decent 1080 50i settings yet? I'm hoping for 1080 rather than upscaling 720...
  • I have another ques, the 720p50p is in progressive not interlaced. Does that mean its actually 25p?
  • cobyD> After i apply the hack to enabled 720p25p, it still get 720p50p? How do you change the settings on the camera to get 720p25p? Thanks.
  • I've had a couple of questions about the 50P->25P option that I mentioned in my earlier post, so to clarify:

1) The unhacked PAL GH2 has a 720p50 AVCHD option, and the unhacked NTSC GH2 has a 720p60 AVCHD option.

2) The PTool361d hack enables a PAL<->NTSC menu item that lets you switch back and forwards between these two framerates (be sure to reformat your SD card after each switch).

3) PTool361d also has another two additional checkboxes that allow you to replace 720p50 with 720p25, and replace 720p60 with 720p30. You can select either one, or both, of these options when you apply the hack. So, for example, I have my GH2 presently set to 720P60 when in NTSC mode, and 720p25 when in PAL mode.

Hope that explains things a little better.
  • @exhardy: are you saying it will then blend rather than drop frames??
  • @ogelecek
    you should do all these things in a 25p timeline, and you will get a lot smoother video
  • I have just bought a GH1 from amazon. The day i got it last week, i hacked it. That week, I filmed some speedy videos to make sure the 50p --> slow motion option is working (BTW I live in a PAL country.) Check out the video and tell me what you think:

I was happy about the results...

What i have done is, i have put the 50fps 1280x720 AVCHD files into Sony Vegas 10. Changed the composition settings to 1280x720 / Field order : progressive scan/ Frame Rate: Double Pal (50 fps)...

When I opened the files on Timeline, i right clicked on the files, changed the Properties from SMART RESEMBLE --> DISABLE RESEMBLE

Then I slowed down the speed .. I rendered it as the same settings, only changed the frame rate to Normal PAL this time(25 fps)..
  • What about modifying 1080p24 time base so it reads faster?

There is a variable somewhere that tells camera how fast to read the chip etc. Is it possible to "hunt it down" and change it? I guess it's a rate at which some crystal clock is divided or such.
  • So I'll be going for 50 shutter then, as I intend to shoot 24p (or hopefully 25p)!
  • probably roughly double the framerate
    ie
    24/25p 50 shutter
    30p 60 shutter
    50/60 120 shutter (but I still use 50 shutter)
    Theres the usual shutter rules...but rules are made to be broken lol
  • What's the most filmic shutter speed for the GH2? With my HPX171 I always used 180.0
  • @Sam
    Light flicker isnt a problem with 24p as long as you shoot with correct shutter speed.
    30fps can be a issue but not 24p ;-)
  • I just hacked my NTSC GH2 to enable PAL<->NTSC switching, and enabled the 25P option for 720 AVCHD. It does indeed produce genuine 720P25.

I have not played with bitrates as yet, and there are no B-frames, so I can't comment on the quality. But eyeballing it, it looked OK.
  • @madact Sure, I didn't mean to imply that 25p isn't needed.

From my perspective, I'm still shooting 25p on an old DVX100B, but I'm seriously considering getting a GH2. Since my work isn't for broadcast (more of an expensive hobby), I just figured I'd shoot 24p on the GH2 if 25p isn't available or as nice looking.

I was trying to get a handle of how much of a problem the light flickering effect would be. It seems with the right choice of shutter speed it's not really an issue (since people have always been dealing with this on 24p regardless of region).
  • @stevespielburger if there wasn't much motion in shot you probably wouldn't notice artifacts from changing 24 to 25
  • Hi guys, been reading this with great interest. I did a test just then with my GH2 in 24p mode and one of my other cams shooting 25p,
    put them both on the kitchen bench, and shot for 30min,
    every few min i got in shot and clapped hands and stuff,
    lighting was halogen (PAL land).
    I then dropped them into Premiere Pro in a 25p sequence,
    synced the first few seconds, then went to end expecting to have to drag the 24p into sync with the rate stretch tool.
    Didnt have to, the whole thing was perfectly in sync from start to finish, I could see any dramas with the lighting, strobing and such ( which I did get in the US recently when shooting at night with my GH1 at 25p 25 shutter).
    There was no frame blending that I could see.
    So, if you dont need the audio from the 24p cam, are there any issues that would arise in a multi cam shoot where one cam is 24p and the others 25p?
    any thoughts greatly appreciated.