Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • According the to Japanese site, it will be released in Japan on December 13th. Hopefully I can grab one then.

• Does the GH3 have clean 4:2:2 hdmi out? I tried searching it but cannot find this. Nofilmschool says NO, 43rumors says NO some pages back people say YES.

?_?

• LL today also said 4:2:0.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh3_field_review.shtml

"the camera puts out a clean recordable HDMI signal (4:2:0 colour space and in 8 bit)."

• "the camera puts out a clean recordable HDMI signal (4:2:0 colour space and in 8 bit)."

I thought I would be more upset about not having 4:2:2 output... but it's not really that bad with options like the BMCC for $3000. I'll just use the GH3 for slow-motion and quick-set up shoots, where I wouldn't even want an external recorder anyways, and the BMCC for VFX and heavily stylize pieces. Probably going to be a great combo... and will STILL be cheaper than anything else that will give you this amount of flexibility. Plus, you'll be able to do two-camera shoots when you have the time for controlled lighting and only need 24-30p. :)

• How critical is 4:2:2? How many of you are shooting 4:2:2 at the moment and simply could not live without it? If so what camera are you shooting with? Can someone show some examples other than green screen where 4:2:2 is critical?

• @bwhitz I have to agree with you on a combo with BMCC, that will make for some amazing capabilities. I'm holding off on the BMC until next year to see if an electronic mount materializes, hopefully a compressed RAW option like cineform RAW will also become available.

• How much improvement will recording the 420 clean hdmi to say an atmos ninja be compared to the 72mb i-frame codec in camera? for example the high gh2 settings from driftwood at about 150mb was nearly native apple prores bitrate so probably wouldn't have seen an improvement if we had clean hdmi. correct me if i'm wrong though.

• @bwhitz

That is precisely what I'm planning on doing. The GH3 will also work as a great stills shooter.

• The GH3 will also work as a great stills shooter.

Yep. Forgot to even mention this. So in just a few months for a little under $5k, we'll be able to get a production kit with 2.5k 12-bit RAW up to 30fps, and then 50fps and 60fps at 1080p (with pretty damn decent compression) and stills as a bonus! Both cameras can use the same lenses... and basically the same rig. It's going to be a fun year!

• GH3 colors are handeling nicely, but the grain looks more present on it. and GH2 details looks more prounonced, What's your review about it guys ?

GH3_ISO_600g.jpg
    904 x 952 - 785K
  • @amateur Need stills grabbed from video.

• Woah, just seen the UK price from my favourite retailer. This is what I paid previously:

GH1 (with 14-140): £1049 GH2 (body only): £799

Current prices for GH3 are

GH3 (body only): £1495 GH3 (14-140): £2049

I'm struggling to accept an almost 100% increase in price.

• itimjim-> +1

Unless the price drops a lot in a couple of months, I'm not buying it. A 100% increase in price is not justified by what the camera offers (compared to a hacked GH2 obviously).

• KarimNassar (uploader) : Hello so I compared the poor quality footage I was able to quickly shoot during the GH3 presentation.

The hacked gh2 footage and gh3 footage look strikingly similar. Would be difficult to differentiate them. The gh3 footage seems to have a little bit more noise though.

You can download the file here : http://www.postprod.ch/clients/Eoshd/montage.zip

2rbi4.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 119K
  • @itimjim @brudney Its region switchable, import import import! $1300 (£800)

• @itimjim Prices in Germany and Italy are about 1199 € body only, very strange usually in UK the prices are better. Maybe order from here: To compare prices in Germany
    Best offer I ha ve see in Italy: http://www.genialpix.it/index.php?categoria=138&id=4161 But I wait, I think we will see price drops.

• @kihlian @jizzyjones I'm off to NY in Jan, so I might pick one up then if they're in stock.

• @All Hey guys, Why it take so long for GH3 in store for sale. Not like go Pro Hero 3... I doubt if GP3 scared of Rambo and GH3 with Vitaliy_Kiselev -:0

• @Amateur I see some alaising in the subjects glasses in the GH3 footage there. Quite similar what I get with my Nex.

• @Mimirsan I see it in the GH2 frame grab as well... something seems not quite right with the image processing here.

• @mpgxsvcd 4:2:2 is the best way to boost color information on the current 1080p HDTV. Better color accuracy would give more perceivable details. But the major TV makers would wanna sell more new TVs. Yeap they would wanna sell more 4K ultra hdtv to consumers. So let's forget about 4:2:2 support from DSLR and DSLM.

• @amateur JPG export might be the issue. PNG would be better.

• 4:2:2 is the best way to boost color information on the current 1080p HDTV. Better color accuracy would give more perceivable details.

This whole sentences are strange. 4:2:2 just add color resolution, and color resolution in not such important due to human (and not only human) nature. This is how our eyes are made.

As for TV thing, even using normal bitrates and not using multiple recompressions along the path will be good :-)

If you'll get normal people, provide them with very wide gamut TVs (ala OLED), and 3D TVs and ask them to compare with normal near sRGB TV with your 422 suggestion, I am absolutely sure that it'll be on last place.

If not for production issues, we had been long in the OLED era, and due to oled spectrum they can have very wide gamut, add here big contrast and easy to do passive 3D.

Right now most filmmakers are similar to early 90s developers with their idea for object oriented software (had been modern trand in 90s). They became focused on implementation and internal design instead of market requirements and people wishes.

• Left GH2, GH3 in the right

KarimNassar(uploader) : The dynamic range seems to be exactly the same as on the gh2 to me. No more details il the blacks nor whites, same specular roll off on the lamps at the top of the frame.

From my tests the gh2 (on the left) has more detail and sharpness than the gh3. But to be fair that should be tested more carefully than handheld at a low aperture. But all the vids I have seen so far including mine seem to indicate that the gh2 has more detail

BUT at least one bit of good news (most noticeable in the vid) the "shooting stars" bug/artefact is now gone.

Video link : http://www.postprod.ch/clients/Eoshd/montage_2.zip

raw files here : http://www.postprod.ch/clients/Eoshd/raw_files.zip

efqhj.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 124K
    4ydfo.jpg
    960 x 540 - 87K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions