Personal View site logo
Cinematics mattebox topic
  • Just got this thing:

Initial impressions after playing with it for short:

I really like quality, all but filter frames and their side holding stuff are from metal.
    Feels really sturdy.
    Has four flags (top, bottom, and two side flags).
    Flags (and all mattebox :-) ) are much better than indian stuff, thicker, better made, internal sides are covered with dark velvet.
    Right now it feels like one of the best gear purchases.

I'll later try to review it in more detail, but after more real work.

Btw they no longer have this awful screws heads on top of inside velvet on flags, now they use proper screws with flat heads that are below velvet.

• 84 Replies sorted by
  • This looks great and very high quality made ...
  • Yeah. I had been really surprised as in your hands it feels even better than in photos. Rare case.

One thing that I want improved a little is filter holders.
    Something up ot Shoot35 standards.

May be also using magnets to hold it in closed state like in Cinevete stuff :-)
  • I don't know if you have seen that,

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/459260098-DSLR-Rig-and-Mount-Matte-box-wholesalers.html

I have been looking at this matte box for some time but waited to get some feedback. I don't know if contacting the seller to get a type of group buy would be interesting for him. When you imagine if you buy 50 the price is $ 260 !!!!!!!!!!!
  • @danyyyel

I got it from same seller.

Group buy won't work for matteboxes I think :-)
    You can ask him for some small discount if you want, don't know if this will work.
  • I've been looking at this mattebox for a while, it seems really solid and VK has just confirmed it, the only reason I turned it down is cause I'd rather get a swivel one like this http://cgi.ebay.com/TRUSMT-DSLR-Matte-box-flag-CF-D100MB2-CF-/270790308628?pt=US_Camera_Camcorder_Accessory_Bundles&hash=item3f0c5c3314
    or this which seems even better but is 200$ more
    http://cgi.ebay.com/5D2-7D-D90-D3S-Matte-Box-DSLR-Kit-Rod-Support-Mattebox-/220816773169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3369b49031
    I'll probably go with the trusMT one as I'm falling a bit short on doe
  • VK, what's your solution on4x4 filters, which did you get and where from if you don't mind me asking?
  • @stefanos

>I've been looking at this mattebox for a while, it seems really solid and VK has just confirmed it, the only reason I turned it down is cause I'd rather get a swivel one

Cinematics can also swivel if you don't notice :-)
    Pull this red thing and you can turn it :-)

>VK, what's your solution on4x4 filters, which did you get and where from if you don't mind me asking?

Don't have any idea yet.
    For some time plan to use 82mm filters with all lenses converted to 82mm by rings.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    ooops! LOL. I missed that:)
    any thoughts on the ones I linked? TrusMT have a good deal on the mattebox in july as you can win one for 308$+65 shipping, but I don't know if it's worth spending 150$ more on the cinematics one which looks really great or this which also looks solid? . http://cgi.ebay.com/5D2-7D-D90-D3S-Matte-Box-DSLR-Kit-Rod-Support-Mattebox-/220816773169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3369b49031

Hmm, my biggest lens-samyang 35mm is 77mm front thread, is it worth getting 82mm filters?

• @stefanos

It is hard to say.
    Cinematics is $86 more, not $150.
    See aliexpress link provided @danyyyel.
    You can ask seller for discount, sometimes it could work.

Your link show not Cinematics matte box.
  • @Vitaliy any chance you could take a picture of the MatteBox with the GH2 in the same picture? It looks pretty bulky, so I'm wondering if it's a good match for the GH2.

I wished they would make one that can take 4x5.6 filters. There seems to be no cheap solution for 4x5.6 filters.

Is anybody interested in a group buy?
  • I would be interested in group buy for sure
  • Yeah, if we could get a group, or negotiate from the seller that everybody coming from here get a discount as a group buy would be good. It is not as if he is selling a ton.
  • @danyyyel

They are selling quite many. Just on Chinese market.
  • Alright, so far we have 3 people interested in a group buy.... Anybody else? I think we would need at least 10...
  • @cordvision

As for picture, I'll make it as soon as I'll have time.
  • For a group buy to gain any momentum ans a good number, we should consider people outside the gh2 users also.
  • About relative sizes:

rig11.jpg
    792 x 593 - 139K
  • Issues that I found so far.

Closing and and opening mattebox for changing lens could be better.
    First, it is quite low, so it can touch rails especially with all flags.
    Second, at locking side manufacturer use same parts as on axis side, so they can slightly touch.
    Most probably could be fixed by adjusting all screws.

Locking side bottom:

Frame parts could touch each other.

Locking side top :
    Red thing can be screwed less or more (after this adjustment you just pull it up to open).

Filter section is below overall matte box quality level.
    It has one fixed holder and one that can be rotated.
    Rotation range is limited to 180 degrees.
    Filter frames are ok, but could be much better.
    I think that Tilta has better filter section.

Two filter folders, nearest to lens rotates up to 180 degrees:

Filter holder fixing screw:

It is very hard to screw or unscrew it. Frame block your fingers.

Side flags fixing screw:

Could be better, as flag is quite thick it is always under angle and not wide enough.
    But works ok.
    rig6.jpg
    795 x 596 - 149K
    rig7.jpg
    794 x 591 - 135K
    rig8.jpg
    795 x 595 - 113K
    rig9.jpg
    791 x 593 - 134K
    rig10.jpg
    791 x 588 - 129K
  • how fast is it to change lenses?
    also, what's up with the cute "painted":) images
  • >How fast is it to change lenses?

It is ok. Open lock, turn it up.
    Change your lens. Close if lens is shorter or same length.
    Otherwise unscrew it and slide along the rails.
    As I said, one issue is that it is very close to rails, so in open state it'll touch tails.

>also, what's up with the cute "painted":) images

What do you mean?
    I just made them to look unusual, as bunch of usual photos of this item exist.
  • thanks, got it.
    The flags made of aluminum right?
    Also, if you don't need to rotate filters a lot, the filter slots are fine?
    You say the filter screws are hard to unscrew, would this cause issue with changing standard ND filters quickly?
    >I just made them to look unusual, as bunch of usual photos of this item exist.
    I don't mean it as bad, they're cute:)
  • >The flags made of aluminum right?

Yeah. Quite thick.

>Also, if you don't need to rotate filters a lot, the filter slots are fine?

They are fine.
    Even if you want to turn filter. But turning is not as smooth as in TrustMT type filter holders.

>You say the filter screws are hard to unscrew, would this cause issue with changing standard ND filters quickly?

Nope.
    They are not extremely hard to unscrew.
    Open mattbox, scew or unscrew them, close it back.
    But I wish they will use better place in next model.
  • New mattebox from Cinematics

This is a moderate priced mattebox in a complete package with flags all around and swing-away feature. Asking price is about $500 including shipping and that has to be considered a decent price for a mattebox. Three years ago I got a small Proaim mattebox that has worked during the early days of DSLR shooting. Quality wasn't to great but it held my filters and provided some shade. One of the reasons I got one was to make a DSLR look more like a film camera. But you can use a rubber lens hood as a lens shade way cheaper than getting a mattebox so this must no be the sole reason. Then again the times you need filters a mattebox is just the tool to use.

The top/bottom and side flags are in metal and of thick metal with velvet on the inside. These pop in and you tighten knobs to have them securely attached. Two things that I dislike with these are firstly the way the side flags extends. The sliding mechanism isn't the greatest. Secondly, the flag knobs for fastening and It's position has a placement that makes it somewhat hard to tighten or loosen.

Most parts are in metal so it seams it will be a robust mattebox. The mattebox part is all metal but there's no matt inside, just a big round hole to the lens. Filterholders are for 4x4 filters and the one nearest the lens is stationary while the other one is rotatable. These are in plastic and just as poor as the ones you get with a PROAIM mattebox. Something better would definitely be holders that comes with shoot35 mattebox. It doesn't rotate to well and is not the smoothest to take in or out. There's no problem using this at least as wide as 14mm without the mattebox obscuring the image. This with my AF101.

A thing I like is how the swing away assembly is constructed. When in locked position the mattebox rest at both ends so there's nothing moving. You lift the red pin and swing it out to swap lens. It's not the greatest fit but okay thanks to the use of metal parts.

When mounted on rods I would recommend to have it at the end of rods. If you slide it in you will hit the rods when using the swing away feature. This is because the lower flag holder is in the way. You can take it away if you don't need a bottom flag and thus the problem can be resolved.

I have some mixed feelings about the Cinematics mattebox. It's better than a PROAIM mattebox but some things are missing like a matt inside the box. It does look cool on the camera but hey it has to work also! And it does work but maybe not as smooth as I'd like it to. I will put it to use and see how it performs before deciding.

Via: http://theeditman.com/blogg/default.aspx
    Reproduced with author permission.
    cine_rev1.jpg
    600 x 400 - 77K
    cine_rev2.jpg
    600 x 400 - 69K
    cine_rev3.jpg
    600 x 361 - 75K
    cine_rev4.jpg
    600 x 400 - 81K
    cine_rev5.jpg
    400 x 600 - 85K
    cine_rev6.jpg
    600 x 312 - 75K
    cine_rev7.jpg
    600 x 337 - 85K
    cine_rev8.jpg
    600 x 322 - 69K
  • Does anyone know if has vertical height adjustment?

• @GMan1701

Nope, just use camera base with adjustment. Like Lanparte. Most bases allow adjustments.