Personal View site logo
Cheap HD-SDI to HDMI converter

Specifications:

1. SDI input
      1. Format: Auto detect resolution of HD-SDI, SD-SDI and 3G-SDI
      2. Date rate: 270Mb/s, 1.485Gb/s, 2.97Gb/s
      3. Receive ability: SD-SDI signal is as far as 460 meters away; HD-SDI is as far as 230 meters away;
      4. Resolutions supported: SD 525i, 625i; HD720P@24HZ, 720P@25HZ, 720P@30HZ, 720P@50HZ, 720P@60HZ, HD 1080i@50HZ; 1080i@60HZ; HD 1080P@24HZ, 1080P@25HZ, 1080P@30HZ, 1080P@50HZ, 1080P@60HZ;
    2. Power: DC 5V /1A. working currency is less than 400milliampere;
    3. Dimension: 105 x 59 x 23mm
    4. Working temperature: 0~50
    5. Weight: 75g

You can use 5v supply from many batteries.

Price: $19 including shipping

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/wiistar-Mini-HD-1080P-3G-sdi-to-hdmi-Converter-Box-Support-SD-HD-SDI-3G-SDI/32603878454.html

• 23 Replies sorted by
  • I got one of these to use with my GVG Infinity camera.. I've had some strange results on my Philips TV at home. The Philips doesn't take an SD feed over the HDMI cable, and when shooting in HD it shows some sort of rolling shutter (slow build-up from top to bottom) even though it's not the camera.

I also tested the converter at work on a Sony broadcast oled and there it worked perfectly, in SD and HD modes.

For the money it's an excellent converter though, it's a shame it doesn't convert audio as well :) Definatly a recommended buy!

• At that price I'll give one a try in my multicam.
    My switcher has 4 x hd-sdi in and 2 x hdmi in.

• @FW200

I've seen this issue with other more expensive SDI-HDMI converters as well. It is because it is a pass-thru converter that can potentially produce a non standard HDMI signal. For example the HDMI spec requires that a pulldown be added to a 24p stream, so if you are outputting 24p thru a passive converter it will come out non standard. That said in my experience most HDMI broadcast monitors, computer monitor, TV's, EVF's, etc will still except the non standard signal, but some will not.

• @Brian202020

What do you mean under "passive converter" here? Normal meaning for this do not match with ANY SDI to HDMI converter.

• I guess the right word should be pass-thru. What I mean tho is some converters really don't change the signal at all just switches the signal down a different path. Like driving from the freeway to a neighborhood street, your still in a car right? Most converters need to do a bigger conversion to meet HDMI specs by adding pulldown. This is more like driving to a bus stop and getting on the bus. You are still going where you need to go, you just changed your mode of transportation. Both have their pluses and minuses. With the pass-thru converter you can get a non standard signal, but you shouldn't get an noticeable delay, and they generally cost less. With the converter that adds pulldown, you add expense and delay to get a standard HDMI signal.

• @Brian202020

Can you show where pulldown is required for 24p (and 23,976p) in HDMI specs?

• I believe it's more of an older spec and cable thing. I'll find a link and get back to you.

• Ok so it has more to do with 24PsF. 24PsF is a way to separate 24p into odd and even field and turns it into 48i. For example the AF100 can output either 24PsF or a pulldown added 24p (24p converted to 29.97p) SDI signal. 24Psf is a way to essentially make 24p be more acceptable to to older broadcast monitors without adding pulldown. This 24PsF (48i) signal doesn't meet HDMI specs, so by default more expensive converters usually add pulldown to make it more compatible for HDMI. Some converters have dip switches on the bottom with another option allowing you to combine the 24PsF signal back to 24p, but this can also have compatibility issues since 1080p is not recommended to go thru older HDMI cables. Also as a side note the converters that add pulldown usually introduce lag during the process, so pass-thru converters like @Vitaliy listed generally have very little if any lag, but at the risk of potentially creating a non standard HDMI signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_frame

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

• Anybody found a cheap option that does the other way around? So one could convert to SDI at GH2, have a long cable run and output to a screen with HDMI input after converting back?

• @Meierhans

Just search aliexpress.com, I think reverse converter is about $130.

• I was inputting SD-SDI, tried both 576i50 and 480i59

• @FW200, Have you tried different cables.
    I found through trial and error, and taking some cables apart, that some cables have pins connected differently (I cannot tell you which pins).

In some cables I opened certain connections are pin to pin at both ends, and in others 4 pins were all shorted together with the earth .. IRC the pins were all related to the bit of the specification that allows a monitor to request a certain resolution. It may be relevent. Sorry I can not explain it any better.

All of the cables were bought as 1.4a .. It caused problems with my Samsung TV (1.4a), but not with my smallHD DP6 (1.3).

Hah, can I be any less technical then this :)

• great news! :)

• Thanks for posting the review for me. Now i just need my BMC cam to actually have something for this converter to do!

• I now see references on ebay of models that seem to have audio conversion as well.. My model doesn't support it, anyone got one of the newer ones?

• It would be really great if evfs and monitors with SDI inputs were as cheap as the hdmi ones. Then you wouldn't need this. It's such a better connection for when you're shooting. I can't find an SDI evf for less than $800. edit: make that decent evf for <$800.

• Was seriously considering getting the BMCC MFT with the new price drop, but the cost of peripherals was giving me pause, specifically the cost of SDI monitors or converters. All the SDI converters I'd seen cost around $300+.

Then I did a search of "cheap sdi to hdmi converter" and found this topic. Also found a bunch of cheap ones on ebay AND on Amazon. Here's a few links:

http://www.amazon.com/Spector-Sewell-SDI-HDMI-Mini-Converter/dp/B00BTN1BG4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1376123674&sr=8-10&keywords=sdi+to+hdmi+converter

The one review says it's working with his Blackmagic Cinema Cam.

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETSH-Adapter-Converter-Monitors/dp/B00ATNLJ80/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t No reviews, but slightly cheaper and both Prime eligible in the U.S. Both mini USB power connections.

• Just thought I would give a quick "review" of an SDI to HDMI converter that just arrived. And by review I mean: List my equipment and say if it works or not with that combination. I couldn't find anything on this particular el cheapo one when scanning the forums so here we go!

It came without a box, just a padded envelope. The converter and the power supply was wrapped in plastic. The power had an american socket and and type f adapter (just what we use in Sweden). Input voltage is 5-12v.

According to the eBay seller I ordered from (and the manual that came with it) it said to support the following input/output resolutions:

• 480i, 576i, 720p, 1080i @ 50/59,94/60
    • 1080p @ 23,98/24/25/29,97/30/50/59,94/60

On the BMCC 2.5K MFT + Zacuto EVF 1080i50/60 worked fine, so did 1080p25/29,97/30. 23,98 and 24p did not. I got "unsupported format" on the Zacuto display (latest firmware).

No big deal for me since I'm shooting 25p, but people who need an adapter and shoot 24p to use with their Zacutos, beware.

EDIT: 23.98 and 24p works on the converter. Hooked it up to my Samsung TV and sure enough, I get an image. Which is weird since the Zacuto manual states 1080p24. Time to contact them.

I can also add that audio passes trough and I get metering on the EVF.

For the money I'm not gonna complain and this will do till I can afford an Alphatron or whatever comes out this year that I will settle on. It's light and will stick easily on your rig with some velcro.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• So does anyone know whether this converter will work on a Marshall 7" field monitor??? Thanks!