Personal View site logo
D&B follow focus with hard stops

Looks very good. And it must be lighter than most FF.

You can mount gear on other side also.

Price: $120, includes shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Generation-DSLR-Follow-Focus-with-2-hard-stops-for-15mm-rod-support-60D-T3i-5D2-/140798101290

• 28 Replies sorted by
  • This looks very nice, min FF and great for use with matte boxes ...

• yes very interested

• Updated first post, as it appeared on ebay.

Biggest advantage of this FF is it's weight. Can be good for any HDSLR rig.

• Does anyone know if the witness mark is adjustable, so that instead of pointing straight up it could be angled back towards the operator (for accurately pulling your own focus)?

• From the photos it is adjustable, look at the screw on top.

• Vitaliy, thanks for the great finding! Indeed compact and nice FF.

• Is there any way to find out if this can be used for the BMC?

• @cupanudles

It can be used for any camera :-) As you'll use same lenses on BMC that you use on m43 or Canon.

• I contacted various ebay sellers that are offering the same style of FF to find out the weights. I was surprised when they replied back saying that it weighs aprox. 400 grams (Item number:150943582700). When a regular styled FF weighs 460 grams (Item number: 170898913020). Maybe it just surprises me because I was expecting it to weigh around 300g.

• @1dogra

It is good to understand that they understand under weight (total weight with packing and stuff or not).

Next, you are referring to quite shitty FF made partially with plastic, so it can be lighter.

• no way to find it on ebay or any other online shop :(

• @jazzroy

LOL, see link in first post :-)

• wtf, I clicked three hours ago and said item sold.. ok, thanks!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev actually that's incorrect. The follow focus I refer too has only 2 pieces of plastic, 1 small internal gear and the marking wheel. I don't think either make a significant difference. The rest is solid aluminum. Since I have one in front of me I weighed it with it's packaging, (526 g) and without, 427grams. I would like to find out from someone that owns the Junior exactly how much it does weigh.

• And I just got this small plastic internal gear broken during over tight the output gear :(

• Does anyone know where to buy this version? I can't find it under any of the names (Generation, D&B, Catclaw Jr.)

• This is nice "mini" follow focus, very compact one. Will check if i can get one to test it ...

• Here is one more eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321051488522

also

• @Zed were you referring to the cat claw having an internal plastic gear that broke, or another follow focus?

@all, does anyone have this? I am very interested in getting this due to weight and size, not to mention I like the multi colored anodized rugged look.

• I ordered one from the link provided by Feha. I'll report back once I receive it and test it in the field.

• Hmmm, problem is I need to make this decision soon. I am trying to get a FF here within a week, week and a half tops to catch the peak of the Sakura blooms. I almost want to get it just for the sake of it's uniqueness, and if I don't like it I can probably sell it for a profit in these here parts.

The other option is dropping and extra $100 on the TrusMT, I don't think the Fotga is for me since I have heard both mentions of loosening over time (maybe fixable), and not being great for small precise movements, which is allot of what I do since I am using a Voightlander 17.5 and love using it at super shallow DOF and doing very fine focus adjustments.

• I don't think the Fotga is for me since I have heard both mentions of loosening over time (maybe fixable), and not being great for small precise movements, which is allot of what I do since I am using a Voightlander 17.5 and love using it at super shallow DOF and doing very fine focus adjustments.

Can you tell me where you "heard both mentions of loosening over time" and "not being great for small precise movements"?

In fact, both trusMT and Fotga are much better in this regard. And Fotga is best FF in its price range.

• I saw at least 2 references to the play increasing, one mentioning it over a few months. But currently I can only find the link below. here on the last post on page one it is briefly mentioned that the backlash increased slightly after intial use. Perhaps what I read before was regarding an older model, but I was pretty certain it was the newer model because I read it recently while trying to make up my mind.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3847/fotga-makes-serious-progress-with-their-ff/p1

As for the "Not being great for small movements" I am also having trouble finding that, I think it was actually a video review (not sure) and the guy basically said, it is a great follow focus, but it is not easy to do slow precise movements, but works well with quicker longer movements. Not word for word I am sure, but I promise it is very close. Regardless of which is better the price difference between the Fotga and the TrusMT would have me get the TrusMT for the quick release plate alone. The Catclaw is tempting despite the lack of quick release for the price, size, and weight. I am not implying the Fotga is not quality. I just have not read the slightest qualm with the newest TrustMT design. I wish there was more info on the Catclaw though, ie .. backlash in mm, dampening? etc...

• I do not see any foundation of this words.

I did notice some backlash after 1 day of use but nothing major. The dampening adjustment helps to reduce the backlash but it makes the focus wheel a little heavier to turn.

You mean this? It is not after long use, and backlash is always present, DP500 II backlash is best among its price range, as well as manufacturing quality.