Personal View site logo
Cheap, Fast, and Wide - The Quest for a Budget Wide Lens
  • 47 Replies sorted by
  • The slr magic 12mm is pretty cheap IMO. Not quite 275 dollars though.. But fast enough and it looks very good in low light conditions.

Personally, I´m not a fan of the lomo 18mm.. especially in comparison to other lomo´s. It´s pretty soft.

• I use both. They both have their own advantages.

• What about samyang 7.5

• I actually really like the tokina 17mm 3.5 that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

• if your ok with using ext tele, the Tameron 4-12mm f1.2 is nice, i have one .. goes from nearly fish eye to wide .. very usefull lens

• @Ebacherville - Very interesting! Got me thinking now!

• Still haven't decided but the budget has increased to around $500.

Very tempted to pull the trigger on a SLR Magic 12mm.

The other option still being the 14mm Lumix pancake with Panasonic Wide Angle.

• @artiswar Here's some nice footage shot with the SLRMagic 12mm

Many people love this lens, and there are some who have had some problems. It's been debated/discussed pretty heavily. I think if you search this site you'll find the topic discussing this lens.

Also noticed you were looking at a 18mm Lomo from MoscowPhoto. Turns out I just bought an 18mm Lomo from MoscowPhoto and it had 2 problems (inability to focus clearly and mark on lens that appeared in video shot). So I'm in process of returning it. I must say that I've heard that MoscowPhoto is usually pretty good, so I don't want to besmirch his name based on a single lens he sold.

Good luck.

• @itimjim - Is it difficult to "guess" the aperture on the 11-16?

• Okay. Funds scraped and about to make my final decision. Need some advice.

1. Tokina 11-16 - can snag this for with adapter for $535. I've heard this is sharper than the other 2, works with follow focus and has a bit of zoom flexibility as well as usable on other cameras.

2. SLR Magic 12mm - Fastest of the bunch. Not usable with follow focus, possible infinity focus issues (I shoot many wide vistas), priciest.

3. Lumix 14mm Pancake - With a wide angle adapter it could cover pretty close to the tokina. Much cheaper. No FF. stuck on m43 (concerned about possibly acquiring a BMCC)

Help a brother out!

• Okie Dokie! I have all three! The one I use the most is the Tokina. I actually use all three at different times but the Tokina goes the best with line of Rokinon Primes and well as my Tokina 28-70. The Pany 14 is good when I want some sort of autofocus. A walk and talk would be a good example of that. It is also, from what I hear, great on steadycam stuff. The SLR is it's own little beast. Awesome for low light night stuff with great flares! But if shoot many wide vistas, I would not recommend this lens. Many as you say have problems. Mine actually does not focus evenly from left to right so I use it at an angle most of the time to hide this defect. BTW, the SLR does work with a follow focus. A few of us on here bought the cheap $10 gear rings, it has to be a certain type, and it works really well.

I'd say, in my non-educated, non-focus chart testing, non-30 years of photography under my belt...go for the Tokina. Edge to Edge is great and you have the option as you said, to use it on other cameras.

Vic

• @vicharris - Exactly what I wanted to hear! Solid advice. What adapter do you use, sir?

• I posted a link somewhere in one of these threads but I use one with a tripod mount on it. I know people said they don't trust it but when I got mine in, I tried to torque the shit out of it to shear the screws and it held and it's been solid ever since. I've tried several others and non of them would focus to infinity but I think that's more of a QC issue with them. Be prepared to go through a couple if you don't dish out the money for a Novaflex.

• @vicharris - Is the Tokina that heavy?

• No really but my Tokina 28-70 is and the Rokinon 35mm 1.4 is not light. I was getting a lot of twist on my camera when I used a follow focus so I wanted to lock everything down via the lens. I just don't trust the lens mount on the GH2 that much.

• I would take what Ken Rockwell says with a grain of salt.

• What did you end up getting? Any examples? I used a Tokina 11-16mm on my RED 1 and my 7d. I haven't been able to pick up a substitute for the GH2 yet. The Tokina was a beautiful lens. I would be interested to know what the variations in depth of field are between the cctv lens, Noktor and the equivalent Lomo at f/1.8 -2.0.

• @1dogra - Totally flopped and bought an anamorphic. Haha. Wide but only horizontally which is really nice. Fairly content with my Panny 14-140 for now.

• Which anamorphic did you get?

• @1dogra - Picked up one of these, shipped from the UK to the states with a lens support and +2 diopter for right about $500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-Kreuznach-WA-Cinelux-Anamorphic-2x-MC-35mm-Lens-/280770733077?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item415f3d6415

Quick test

• I guess the answer is that there is not much out there - has anyone used the zuiko 18 f3.5?

Also anyone know of teleconverters for Micro 4/3? I read online that Panasonic was making some but can't see them anywhere, a 1.4 would be great turning the SLR Magic 12mm into a 17mm.