Personal View site logo
AN "Valkyrie", GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, natural, Freeze-less Reliable All-round GOP3 Settings :-)
  • 1001 Replies sorted by
  • @radikalfilm

"I find all this beyond amazing, and wish this was available/used it a month back when I shot my short with Flowmotion, not knowing any better. I'm in Europe so the fact that it's stable in HBR makes it double-great."

So far I've only tested ISO400 (my preferred ISO as it shows the least banding in conjunction with film style "smooth"). In HBR (25p) mode Valkyrie and GOLGOP13-A (Beta 4b) look so much better than FloMo2 with regard to macro blocking and noise in shadows. Wait for bkmcwd's next release of GOLGOP13-A... it will be even more stable than Beta 4b ... and the noise looks even somewhat better than in Valkyrie (at least at HBR/25p). I'll do some low light tests soon (with both Valkyrie and GOLGOP13-A) and will report back.

• @radikalfilm Good to hear someone else with good low light results. One thing I've noticed was the outstanding color reproduction. Green is green, blue is blue, red is red. I've found this in both low light, staged light (correct temperature) and daylight. What's your opinion?

720 is getting a thorough workout this weekend.

• I also tested 1.3 last night for low light in reasonably lit (huge) junction/roundabout. I repeated the same camera move going through all (most) ISOs from 500 to 12800. This was with a Nikon 50mm/f1.8 shutter 1/50.

The shot had it all in one camera move, from pitch dark to blown-out highlights. Predictably the sweet spot (usable without noise reduction) was ISO800; ISO1000 was also pretty good. At ISO1600, posterization on red highlights on black background started to become an issue, and also noise became bothersome. I took the time to apply Neat Video on all clips from ISO800 to ISO12800. Of course at higher ISOs the highlights were massively blown out so the shots weren't usable, but I was curious to see detail in ambient light against dark skies.

Amazingly, with noise reduction up to and including ISO8000!!!, shots are recoverable and usable (Neat Video has luma/chroma sharpening). ISO12800 wasn't usable because of artifacts introduced by NV in the now light-gray sky. I find all this beyond amazing, and wish this was available/used it a month back when I shot my short with Flowmotion, not knowing any better. I'm in Europe so the fact that it's stable in HBR makes it double-great.

• @peternap Thanks for uploading sample footages. They look very good and bikes so coooool!!! :-) Many thanks for hearing your comment again.

• @bkmcwd

ver 1.3 I wanted to test the low light colors and response so I went to bike tonight. These haven't been adjusted or graded. 24P, Canon 50mm 1.4 lens, standard -2

I'm really starting to like this setting.

To finish up the night I got word one of the local police departments was going to try to arrest a fugitive. They didn't catch him but this was the ultimate in poor lighting and the very fine grain held up beautifully.

• While waiting for the feedback from people, I am tweaking GOLGOP3-13 now. :-)

• @towi Thanks mate! I got it. I refer to the information from you. :-)

• @bkmcwd

"I compared "4, 4, 4, 4, x, x" with "3, 3, 3, 3, x, x" in PAL. Do you think that which is better?"

shooting a codec stress chart with a sharp lens GOP table 3,3,3,3,14,14 goes in and out fallback mode (stream graph shows an uneven cadence). with 4,4,4,4,13,13 the cadence is pretty even.

I feel image quality is the same (both on static scenes as well as with motion). So I think 4,4,4,4,13,13 is more stable without compromising quality.

• @shirap Thanks always mate! I also looked at your blog. Research of grading is interesting. I love your works. :-)

• @towi

I compared "4, 4, 4, 4, x, x" with "3, 3, 3, 3, x, x" in PAL. Do you think that which is better?

• @mozes You are always doing the interesting trial! :-)

@peternap Thanks for wonderful footage! This is a work in which finer noise grain is harnessed. :-)

• This is a political ad I'm working on using 1.3. Canon 50 1.4, 24p, Very stable and takes grading well. Standard -2

• i did put your i and p frame scaling table from rc1.1 in my 2gop 720p setting
    it did the trick for a good streamparser result.
    The colors can be pushed very hard....
    Screenshot was done in cinema all -2, iso 320 and a ss around the 1/2500

Image12.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • @bkmcwd check inbox ;)

• @towi

Thanks for your advice! Although I have already tried it, I verify again. :-)

• @bkmcwd

re: GOLGOP3-13-A_BETA4b

1080i50 GOP Table=4, 4, 4, 4, 13, 13 to improve stability

:-)

• @Tobsen It does not matter anything. It is as before and is satisfactory.  Not a stress test but I would like to check image quality. Thanks always. :-)

• @bkmcwd gonna load it tonight. Any wishes for analysis shots?

• @peternap Thanks for testing C1.3 soon! looks nice. :-)

@abraham1307 Please try C1.3 and thanks for your comment! :-)

@jul Thanks for your feedbacks! :-) Please tell me the result in "S" Mode again. And I am going to investigate an Avid issue succeedingly.

• @towi

Hi, mate! :-)

Thank you for your intelligible comparison. The result of GOLGOP3-13-A is especially impressive.

About TYPE-ZERO2, especially I adhered to 25p by cooperation from @Tobsen.

"So far Valkyrie also survived my torture test routines ..."

Since it referred to the feedback from @peternap and @jul and I teased in iA mode and S mode thoroughly, I am glad if it is a good result.

• @bkmcwd. Thanks for stabilize C1.2 by the new C1.3 ! As I told you in private, this patch is amazing with very big I frame size and beautiful motion... Thanks for your help for Avid workflow, I'll test it. Good work.I'll try C1.3 soon.

• Christmas all over again, Thank you @bkmcwd

• I've been playing with some of Saturdays clips and pushing them some....They look like they will grade well even in 720P...this is 1.2 and a 14-140 lens

blue.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • @towi I've been looking at the 24p low light on 1.3 too. The grain is extremely good. I'm not sure it's better than 1.2 but it's not worse.

acar1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters