Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

That may be the case, but the revision seems to indicate they do not see that as good PR at this point. The more people mention wanting them to support CinemaDNG, the worse they look not supporting it...

• @thepalalias

In fact, this blog post original meaning is clear.

Adobe does not want cameras having CinemaDNG support. As it does not bring them any money.

CinemaDNG support was poor from the start. As it is "open" format made by corporation with sole goal of making money.

• @bwhitz @nomad @brian2020 @fatpig @Vitaliy_Kiselev

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/09/cinemadng-in-after-effects-cs6-and-elsewhere.html

They added an updated statement:

"What this is intending to communicate is simply that the experimental plug-in for CinemaDNG for Premiere Pro CS5.5 was removed from the Adobe Labs website. The CinemaDNG format continues to be an open format, and its development is not limited to Adobe.

CinemaDNG files can still be opened by any current Adobe application that includes the Camera Raw plug-in for importing DNG files. This includes After Effects and Photoshop. Also, we just issued a bug-fix update for SpeedGrade that makes it work better with CinemaDNG files."

So nothing about the general Adobe support for DNG, just Adobe Premiere.

Also note that they say the want to hear from people that want Premiere Pro to add support for DNG:

"One question that we’ve been seeing a lot–especially since the recent announcements of a couple of cameras–is why Premiere Pro doesn’t import CinemaDNG files. The answer is simply that we have not been satisfied with the performance that we have been able to achieve with CinemaDNG files in Premiere Pro, in which real-time playback is crucial. If it’s important to you that we add native import of CinemaDNG footage into Premiere Pro, please let us know with a feature request so that we can get a sense of whether this is an area where we need to put more effort. We really do value those feature requests."

• The Cinema DNG Initiative has been discontinued and is no longer hosted on Adobe Labs

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/09/cinemadng-in-after-effects-cs6-and-elsewhere.html

Wouldn't doubt if panasonic, sony, and canon all joined together and paid off Adobe...

Can't have people getting real cinema-quality files for under $50,000 now can we?

• @No_SuRReNDeR EF vs M43 version of the BMCCD: Same sensor - different mount.

• @rockroadpix ...good to know but I though for sure I heard it was smaller sensor...weird Well as long as the crop factor isn't worse...I am in. I suppose keeping the old Gh2 for photos and a B cam is good idea anyways.

• Maybe Adobe is giving it up and BM takes over? After all, they are competitors now ( Resolve vs Speedgrade ).

• @No_SuRReNDeR No difference in sensor size. Actually, the sensor size is what makes the M4/3 version a better fit for the BMCC. (Bloom went into detail about this) I come from a film background (for the most part), so I really don't use many electronic lenses. I also like the fact that I'm going to be able to mount a PL lens on this bad boy with my adapter. I've invested more in Nikkor mount glass, so I'd rather have the M4/3 for reasons that might make no sense, it's what I'm comfortable with...

• I Just ordered another m43rds lens(oly9-18) kinda regretting if I get this camera....I mean the passive mount is Ok but wouldnt it be better to get the Canon Lens mount model? Or does sensor size factor in differently here?

• @mintcheerios - thanks for the info! I was worried about my MBPro's capabilities...

• With Cinema DNG out of the question for Premiere Pro, I suggest Cineform RAW to anyone planning on going RAW with this camera. It transcodes and decodes very fast, and most importantly, the file size is about a fourth of CinemaDNG at the lowest compression setting. It is visually lossless (see for yourself) and I can edit/grade it at full speed on my 2 year old laptop. When you edit, you can choose a fast and basic debayer method, then you can select a better debayer method when it comes time to render. If storage is still an issue, you can compress it further similar to Redcode.

• @fatpig

It was sarcasm :-)

• I think it's Adobe just following the foot steps of Apple and letting 3rd parties implement functionality and compatibility so they can use their resources on other things. Apple does this with FCPX. It took a while, but 3rd parties are finally filling in the gaps in FCPX.

• why is it good? sounds bad for premiere users.

• Good news

The Cinema DNG Initiative has been discontinued and is no longer hosted on Adobe Labs

• Here's a very good interview by Rick Young with John Brawley on the new BMC. Seems like a cool guy. Must have been cool to be a part of the whole process from concept to finish.

He might not like the term....but I have to say this camera is a "game changer" especially because of price. But the images also speak for themselves.

• @tida maybe. But I was talking about communication.

• @peaceonearth the chain of responsibility usually starts whith the supplier and their suppliers.... That's the reason why companies are getting bankrupt or need a good ensurance and lawyers....

• c'mon. This is really poor putting the blame on the supplier. Nobody knows wether it's true or not and even if it's true it's still in their reponsibility. And also it does not match that BMD held their tongue when everybody asked for more infomation and now they blather about production details of other companies. Bad style, Mr. Petty.

• Very good statement and I can feel with them. We are in a real world....

This is a highly sophisticated camera and a new approach for BMD. It is very complicated to set all specifications that well that nothing happens. And there are always unknown (hidden) quality relevant critera which you only can fix with time when it comes to series production.

Sorry I'm not an expert in electronic or optical business. In chemistry you have something like HAZOP or HACCP methods to fix quality and design issues. And this gives you maybe 90% of safety....

• Joint special forces from CanoPanaSony. The first thing they get told: " if you get caught, we'll deny we ever met before"…

;-)

• hmm software bug or corporate espionage?

• Throw me a dud camera BM. We'll fix it in post.

• Complex business building cameras. Who would have thought it was how a supplier packed a little lens type piece of glass that covers the sensor. Gotchas in manufacturing are sometimes the smallest things.

Nice to hear that the problem has been identified and they are back on track. I wonder how many bodies are sitting there waiting for the sensor and testing. Hopefully a whole lot!

• @peaceonearth'

Original shipping estimate was July, it became Jule 30th and this become August, etc