Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Yep, just this guys (and this is just 43rumors other domain) copy-pasted this from Voldemort post.

Ha ha...it took me a little to figure out what the heck you were referring to. But, Voldemort......that's just too funny.

• I think until we get a direct comparison it's really hard to make such a claim. I just don't see footage as bad as 7D IMO, but I have no direct comparison.

Ok, it's not "as bad". It's a bit sharper, I'd say between a 7D and GH2... but the thing is the detail. It's still rendering "plastic" detail like the 7D. Not good. I just thought, though... that it COULD be the NR processing that is crunching out the detail. Did Panasonic maybe crank it up for the demos so people wouldn't complain about noise? Maybe the picture profiles weren't tweak-able yet? Who knows... this is the only thing I can think of for the plastic-look so far that seems like it would be fixable. So yea, to be fair... we'll have to wait until someone can go through all the NR settings to sort it out. Because on second look, it looks like the reps may have just cranked up the NR and Sharpening in camera.

• @bwhitz

Blackmagic does not resolve an actual 1080 image. Doesn't even cleanly resolve 1000 lines.

Still looks good, but not 1080.

• After much reading and viewing still samples and videos.

I thought the major benefit to most VDSLR videographers was that with the GH we had next to no moire...it was always the arguement in favour for GH cameras when compared to other DSLR's for video?

Keeping in mind now that the GH3 looks to having moire and alaising in video.

What will the GH3 have over the countless (and some cheaper) larger sensor DSLR's with video?

I can see they want to challenge the other manufacturers in the Pro market (call me cynical) but I dont think Panasonic are going to do well.

If I was a Pro photographer I would rather go for a Canon or Nikon or Pentax. Heck were even getting close to full frame pricing here.

It looks like more UK retailers here are pricing the body only option at £1500. For Joe camera buyer thats out of their pricerange.

If I was a m43rds guy going for video and stills for that price I can buy a GH2 for video AND a em5 for stills.

I can buy a Nex 5n body that shoots 50p with some moire and alaising and shoots great photos for £250 quid.

I can get a GH2 body for £450 new...the thousand pounds extra for the GH3?

There just doesnt seem to be enough to justify it. So I wont be buying one..not until its price is more sane.

Dont jump on me Im just showing a view as a regular camera hobbyist. ;-D

• @Mimirsan

This is just camera with very good video made for a guy who do not want to carry big lenses, like very fast AF that also work in video, and like lenses that had been made with video in mind. Wor guys who like 1080p50/1080p60. With Wi-Fi feature that can be developed very far. And few firmware updates ahead.

• Blackmagic does not resolve an actual 1080 image. Doesn't even cleanly resolve 1000 lines.

Still looks good, but not 1080.

As a matter of fact I've (suprisingly) seen quite a bit of aliasing in the BMC video also. I've come to realize that with the GH-3/BMC/AF100/FS100/F3/EX-1 cameras etc. we will still see flaws in the image below a certain price range. I don't expect Alexa performance in any of these cameras. Then again...so many people have found ways to work around these issues and produce exceptionally well made work of arts. So, I'm not sweating any of this any more. I just want the best bang for my buck. :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Did anyone find out if ETC mode will work with HDMI out? Always one of my biggest frustrations when shooting.

• @Bwhitz "It's still rendering "plastic" detail like the 7D. Not good." Have you watched the Genesis download? watch it on a nice big screen an see how plastic that looks, the word FILM comes to mind not plastic. No aliasing/moire either in Genesis an its some varied environments, so lets hope its related to that 12-35mm lens or can b improved in final FW version.

• Did anyone find out if ETC mode will work with HDMI out? Always one of my biggest frustrations when shooting.

I don't know about this.

• "Have you watched the Genesis download..."

Obviously everything is subjective but aside from hamfisted "acting", pathetic "story" (why didn't the dude just call her back???!!) and mediocre directing, I didn't see anything in "Genesis" or any other clips that have surfaced that a hacked GH2 doesn't do better. I agree with @bwhitz completely, so far the "look" of the GH3 (which is all I give a rat's a** about) doesn't warrant the "upgrade". Now a hacked GH3, that's something different but that's what - 6-10 months away, if ever?

• I think - I keep my GH2 - the new sensor does not convince me - I want to lose not miss the look of the GH2 - a softer image "GH3" out of cam I can not accept - the GH2 is still the No. 1 . . . ;)

• do we already know how long the high speed jpg burst mode can be used for?

there is unlimited time jpg shooting with mechanical shutter, but i dont know about electronic shutter (30fps?) mode.

Still an option for higher resolution video! :)

• We need GH2 Mark II. We want Panasonic sensor.

• @Kae

Yeah, thats pretty much how I feel, some love the look, some dont...count me in the later.

I hope they are successful with it, for me right now tho..I will be keeping my GH2.

• Most stuff about the image quality is conjecture until we do a side by side comparison of the GH2 and production GH3. Nothing fancy, just a few videos of both cameras with the same settings in the same position. All this conjecture reminds me of when the first GH2 clips started leaking out.

• i see grain even at iso 200.

Please download original file.

My question can we do something with Neat video, can an expert upload it with NR ?

• @mintcheerios

Most stuff about the image quality is conjecture until we do a side by side comparison of the GH2 and production GH3.

I agree absolutely.

Until the production GH3 is available to buy and test, it's more interesting and useful to limit discussion to hardware specs...and be patient about image quality.

• IMO this camera was a valid attempt to improve the "Hybrid" nature of the GH line. They had to step up the build quality to make it more suitable for different environments and heavy use. They made the functionality better with more buttons and wheels. I mean they improved so many of the physical aspects of the camera. Headphone output is great. I just think we have to see just how much of a difference there is in the Image.

One thing about the codec tho is that reports have been good about the grading of GH3 footage. That can't be overlooked either. It's the 1st GH you can just pick up and start using that has this level of recording without being hacked yet. The GH2 Hack has spoiled us to a great extent. If we just compare a stock GH2 to the GH3 as an overall product it's not even close.

The Hack turbo charges the GH2 to such a degree that it's hard to really improve on that with stock firmware, but I think Pany did a good job coming close. To make a production camera that will perform at such a high level using a wide variety of SD cards is not to be overlooked. Not everyone is gonna use Sandisk top rated cards. The average user out there saving money with other lesser brands of SD card should expect better stock quality than the stock GH2.

A huge part of the GH owners out there aren't hacking and so for them this camera is a huge improvement in just about every way.

• Hi,

the 6 GH3 JPEG and RAW picutres can be downloaded here:

http://perlichtman.com/somecamera/photokina2012/6-GH3-JPEG+RAW.rar

They are identical, cause I shot JPEG+RAW together.

Dieter

• As I was disappointed at GH2 launch, I have the same feeling with the GH3... no Log profile, no real wide dynamic range usable at all ...

Vitaliy give to the GH2 the power we use today as a "pro" cam.

I thing I will wait to see many D600 and A99 video tests in term of usability, moiré, aliasing... and will do my choice. I pray about that things that be done by Vitaliy with the GH2 can be real with the GH3 :-)

• Hi there.

I read so much about the new GH3. But i have not seen enough shootings from it, to make my decision. Some great features of cause (timecode,1080/50p, mov-files), but to me not worth to retire my GH2.

I love my GH2, espacially with Flowmotion and good lenses. And before i buy a GH3, i think i sell my GH1 and buy another GH2. I think i know any strenghth and weaknes of them, i do have to know. And can shoot instead of making tests again. Those tests with GH1 and 2 helped a lot to get deep into the cams. Panasonic has changed so much with GH3 that i do have to start from scratch again. Many people still switch from tube to 1080 HD-TVs or to smart TVs for their home. So 4k will take a few years. And untill that day, my GH2 will make exceptional shootings. If, - yes if i will get a unexpected bunch of money, then maybe...

• I do agree that it''s better to wait until production units are out but I really do hope the detail level will at the very least match the GH2's. The suspense over how things will play out for this camera is intense.

Any news on rather Panasonic will be making enough initially? With that kind of price, it wouldn't surprise me if it'll be like the GH1 and GH2 in which the stock was so low at first especially in the US. On the other hand, maybe it'll be different this time. Who knows.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions