Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Shooting and gear
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • @ahbleza

While I work with Media Composer and DNxHD on windows by choice, I do support two schools using FCP7 on macintosh. The workflow I have given them is based upon the methodology in this article http://www.producenewmedia.com/?p=193

Both schools shoot with a mixture of AVCHD and Canon.movs .. their workflows differ only with a passage through streamclip.

That is I am anything but an expert on FCP, I do keep a macbook only to provide support

• Thanks @kavadni. A question about workflow... since there is no transcoding, how would I create the ProRes proxies for editing? I'm using FCPX.

• I too have changed my order to MFT. I don't think I will be buying many MFT lenses .. I want to be able to adapt more lenses .. and I dont give any value to IS or auto-iris. I do not intend to buy any more lenses that will not cover at least an APS-C/super35 sensor.

I have the Viewfactor Continio Cage (it's arrived) .. on a Miller DS10.

I will use my SmallHD DP6 .. I will probably send it back for the SDI upgrade.

I already have 3 x 120G SSD .. used with Hyperdecks to record DNxHD .. waiting until camera arrives to get larger capacity for RAW .. and the price drop. If I decide to shoot a project in RAW, I intend to record DNxHD to a Hyperdeck .. that is produce TC matched proxy at same time .. this needs to be proven.

A matte box is not always needed .. for me in Australia I will need ND's .. I have a full blown Lanparte Rig, so will use parts of that as I wait and see what else ViewFactor release.

I am waiting for the Acer Iconia W700 tablet to be released for use with ultrascope .. it's thunderbolt and USB3.

My Workstation is 4 years old .. It's Dual Xeon .. I will need to upgrade my graphics card (Quadro 600) for resolve. I think I am going to need a second graphics card to make resolve work briskly.

In reality I think I will end up getting a new MB/CPUs/RAM with thunderbolt.

I am also waiting to see reports on BMD's new 'Ultrastudio 4K' .. it's thunderbolt

I would suggest thunderbolt or USB3 docks for the SSD.

Will my two-year old MBP be enough to edit ProRes422 encoded 10 bit video?

I am an advocate of working with proxies for editing .. an offline/online workflow .. currently I mostly shoot with DNxHD 220Mbits .. but always edit with 36Mbit proxies, until I pass it from Media Composer to After Effects.