Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Hasselblad is also using a Sony Sensor

http://photorumors.com/2012/09/18/breaking-this-is-hasselblads-mirrorless-camera/

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2206781/hasselblad-were-not-robbing-people-off-with-lunar-camera

Yup. Forget the GH3. At least until the Panasonic $300 rebates...meanwhile:

Dear Arri:

Alexa 2 for $899. please. With optional Rolls Royce hood ornament. -Thanks

• It's $1295. And most of us will not get our hands on one until 2013.

Here is my advice: Call a girl and take her to dinner tonight.

• Why are people whining about who made the sensor in the GH3? Does it really matter if it is made by Sony, Panasonic, or Toyota? These electronic products contain a gazillion parts from a gazillion different manufacturers. Can't we just wait and see if the GH3 has got the stuff we need?

Anyways, by the looks of the P.Bloom short, this thing really can produce some stunning footage, and most definately is a tool to be reckoned with.

I'm really excited about this, I skipped on the GH2 because I was happy with my GH1, now maybe I'll take a look at that GH3, because all of the new features are really looking promising to me.

DocZ

• @jonbeeotch

Looks like sloppy timewarp in AE ... the editor might have had pixelmotion enabled while trying to increase the speed of the car's launch, then a few frames ended up with interpolated pixels rather than cleanly dropped frames. There was definitely something less-than-smooth in that diner scene and follow-on whip pan. Not sure about the taxi though.

• @thepalalias yes, to some degree that is what I meant but I also wonder about how they downscale the horizontal or vertical pixels to 1920x1080 resolution. Since we know that the GH2 binned pixels, the MAR action meant that the binning probably used the same number of binned physical pixels to equal a single summed "effective" pixel. In effect, the X/Y ratio stayed the same and necessitated a MAR sensor to do this. Now who is to say that they didn't figure out a new way to do this where the binned number changes or even switches to line skipping in the horizontal/vertical axis to change the X/Y ratio and utilize fewer pixels in either axis in order to optimize something like pixels size, ease of manufacture or simply cost of the sensor? At this point, I'm also just pondering different approaches based on limited data, much like most of the others in this thread. I'm basing all this on the fact that people are seeing aliasing and moire, which isn't a side effect of a non/MAR sensor but an effect from how the data is treated/processed from the sensor, I.E., line skipping/binning. I think once someone get's their hands on a GH3 we'll know a lot more.

• @svart The "active sensor area" is not an ambiguous term. Panasonic can misrepresent it if they want to, but what the put up as the official specifications is specific and can only accurately be interpeted as meaning one thing: what you seem to refer to as usable size.

They have said that it takes 17.3mm on the GH2 sensor to get those 4608 pixels on each sensor and that it takes 17.3 mm to get 4608 pixels on the GH3 in 4:3 mode. That is is the "usable area" that is employed in that shooting ratio.

Since the GH2 has an MAR sensor, the active area changes in different shooting modes and that is reflected in the other aspect ratios So 4:3 gets 4608 wide and 16:9 gets 4976.

So the active and usable area is very explicitly defined for 4:3, without ambiguity, for both the GH2 and GH3. The MAR aspect is inferred from the resolution: no MAR sensor released in a mass produced device has used differing pixel sizes in different aspect ratios. The pixels are a certain size for the sensor so either it adds more of them when it goes wider (and therefore employs a greater active or "usable" area in that mode) or it crops. The version implemented in the GH3 is very clearly a crop approach in the specifcations given.

The only way I can try to interpret your comment as making sense is that you might be trying to say that Panasonic could setup the GH3 to use more of the sensor in the future in certain shooting modes and thus make it an MAR. Is that what you meant or do I misunderstand you yet again?

• Pure speculation on my behalf, and I don't reckon it will cool any of the catfights stirring in here.. but.. Is it not possible, neigh probable that Panasonic knows the true professionals will be right here on Personal-view.com waiting for the VGH3K to roll out, and thus they just make a marketable camera for the mainstream, and knowing doors they locked will soon be jimmied open by our beloved VK, they also know that the Pro's and Pro wannabes (mee) will buy their camera soon enough. Again pure speculation, but it seems probably obvious to me. At least if them boyz in the panahood have smarts.

What I am really trying to say though is... hush thy pussy, and relax till we know more =)

• @Astro

In 3d development, the texture and light is the difference between sterile and realistic, I spend hours tweaking and aging surfaces, developing subsurface scattering on skin to get a real world look, then theres light...

haha, I'm also in 3D development... interesting. Are we just insane detail freaks? :)

• @thepalalias

Yes...I am aware of that. But as you say depends on how the GH3's are set up. The point I was making is this sort of material does not show performance compared to hacked GH2 (exactly same scene with cameras side-by-side). That is the only test that is relevant to me for making decision about upgrade or not.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev

Your enlightened "bullshit" comment the other day about what I said regarding manufacturers cynically "unlocking" new features in the same camera hardware with only a firmware upgrade is itself "bullshit" in view of recent comment from Canon that:

"Canon confirmed ... the 1D C 4K DSLR is a 1D X with a firmware update. Identical hardware." $6,000 firmware that is. (canonwatch.com)

So, as I said, maybe the GH3 hardware is actually capable of much more than Panasonic would like us believe.

@svart

But FOV of lens will still be adversely affected. That is the problem using less of the sensor. Down scaling algorithm irrelevant for this.

• @mpgxsvd @thepalalias never said it was the "total size", I said "usable size". Please re-read my post before you preach! But I think you should also be thinking in "effective pixels" as pixel binning and line skipping can yield the same effective resolution with vastly different numbers of total pixels. My point is that people, including yourselves, are using hearsay and unclear marketing terminology to derive a line of thought that doesn't have much fact to back it. We know that the total pixel counts for the GH2 and GH3 are both far above what is needed for HD video, from there panny could be using any number of different types of math to create various aspect ratios. They could also be using something we've never seen before too. Just because it isn't using some marketing jargon, I.E., MAR, that doesn't mean that it's any less effective. For all we know, they have found something superior. I implore you to keep down the supposition for a while until we get more facts. We've already had dozens of posts where people are poo-pooing the GH3 and swearing never to buy one based on only the thoughts of others in these threads and the damn camera isn't even released yet!

• @svart

I think that there is a general misunderstanding of what the "Sensor Size" spec means. For the Panasonic GH3 it means that the size of the area of pixels used in 4:3 mode is 17.3 x 13.0 mm. Panasonic even puts a special note on there that this size is only with respect to the 4:3 aspect ratio mode.

This is NOT. and I repeat NOT the total size of the entire sensor in the camera. For multi aspect ratio cameras like the GH2(and yes the G5) the total sensor size is bigger than 17.3x13.0mm because it has to accommodate the different aspect ratios with the same field of view.

For non-MAR cameras the total sensor size is probably greater than 17.3x13.0mm because they can't use the pixels edge to edge. However, it is probably not as big as those cameras that have MAR capabilities.

There really is no way to convince you without showing you the exact same picture(Same Resolution and Same Field of View) taken with the GH2 and the GH3 in 4:3 mode. So until I have my GH3 you will just have to trust the specs that are listed on the Panasonic pages.

The sensor dimensions and resolutions in 4:3 mode are identical for all three of these cameras(GH2, G5, and GH3).

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/specifications.html

• Hi, im new here, but i've been following this site since the gh1.

i finally downloaded "genesis"... saw some weird frames. im not super "tech", so i apologize if this is totally obvious. anyone know whats going on in these stills? looks like twixtor weirdness. would it be the camera, compression, plug-in artifacts???

GH3_weird_1.jpg
    1926 x 1063 - 675K
    GH3_weird_2.jpg
    1923 x 1065 - 741K
    GH3_weird_3.jpg
    1923 x 1069 - 667K
  • @Svart This data is extracted from the specifications available at the Panasonic website.

GH2 Active Sensor: 17.3x13.0 (in 4:3 mode) Horizontal Resolution: 4608 (in 4:3 mode)

GH3 Active Sensor: 17.3x13.0 (in 4:3 mode) Horizontal Resolution: 4608 (in 4:3 mode)

The difference is that the GH3 maintains that horizontal resolution (and horizontal active sensor dimension) while the GH2 expands both (and the horizontal resolution in JPEGs hits 4976).

The two differ in the total sensor size (ca 18MP GH2 vs ca 17MP GH3) but the active sensor area in 4:3 mode (and resolution in that mode) are identical, at least as reported in the Panasonic official specifications on their site.

• @svart

We've already had reports that the GH3 is indeed a MAR sensor, but isn't enabled.

Only source of this is not really credible.

And it is not supported with any real data we have up to this time.

Why isn't this just as likely as a Sony sensor without MAR?

If you carefully check answers of managers it is really clear that it is Sony sensor.
    They just did not commented this claim, and in their language it is just yes.

• @mpgxsvcd where did you see that the pixels are actually the same size? As I mentioned before, the usable sensor area is the exact same, while total pixels is lower in the GH3. Because of this I think the pixels are actually larger since fewer pixels are taking up the same amount of room.. As we've been over before in other threads, people wanted lower pixel counts for larger pixels so that low light was improved. Why is it not feasible that panny did exactly that? We've already had reports that the GH3 is indeed a MAR sensor, but isn't enabled. Why isn't this just as likely as a Sony sensor without MAR? Panny didn't build a multi-million dollar sensor fab just to go with Sony's sensors. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

• I put this in another thread. However, I think it applies here as well.

The G5 is indeed the GH2 sensor with multi aspect ratio disabled. As the GH3 stands right now it is not capable of being a multi aspect ratio camera. Here is the proof.

The GH2 has a max "Sensor photo detectors" of 18.3 megapixels. The G5 has the same. The GH3 has a max "Sensor photo detectors" of 17.2 megapixels. The G5 and GH2 simply have more pixels of the same size than the GH3 does.

The pixel size for all three cameras is actually equal. That maintains the exact same crop factor and resolution for the 4:3 mode. You can take an identical picture in 4:3 mode with all three cameras.

With 3:2 and 16:9 the G5 and GH3 give you cropped images with a 2.160x crop factor for 16:9 mode. I didn't calculate it for 3:2 mode.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcgh2

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcg5

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcgh3

• Here are some sample High Dynamic Range images from the GH2. These illustrate what a problem the GH2 has with getting DR out of its jpgs and also out of video.

The first file is the jpg image Straight out of the camera shot with Smooth -2,-2,0,-2.

The second is an edited jpg file to try to balance it out.

The third image is an edited RAW file.

The fourth is an HDR image that I created from 7 1 stop increment files. It is blurry because it was not on a tripod but you get the idea.

The edited RAW file actually does quite well. Even better than the HDR image(Admittedly not a very good one). The jpg image just falls apart when edited.

Any extra HDR is great in my book. I shoot a lot of scenes that will trigger the I.dynamic feature in the GH2. Hopefully, the GH3 will handle those scenes better.

Basically we either need RAW or much better DR. I actually don't want RAW because it is not feasible to manage it yet. That leaves us with just much better DR which is what I think the GH3 could offer. I will definitely redo this test when I get my GH3.

P1310782 - Copy_resize.JPG
    1919 x 1080 - 613K
    P1310782_resize.JPG
    1919 x 1080 - 925K
    P1310782_2_resize.jpg
    1919 x 1080 - 1009K
    P1310782 HDR_resize.jpg
    1919 x 1080 - 612K
  • I was planning an upgrade to the GH3 but I now decided to wait and see if the GH3 can produce better photos than the GH2 and how the hack potential will pan out. I was not expecting it, but the Nikon D600 becomes a viable alternative to the GH3. The D600 is a bit more expensive but I do have an Angenieux 28-70 in Nikon mount so that dispenses the need to get a 12-35.

• @LongJohnSilver "noise at 1600 ISO"

Maybe we have different ideas about noise, but using Canis Majoris night, I see zero noise at ISO 1600. Granted I haven't tried it underwater, but I have used it in very very low lighting.

• @tvpglabs i've just heard a rumor that the D600 has no manual control in movie mode, PB is going to report on this shortly! I will probably stick with the GH2 as i dont like canon for either still or video. After it looks like the GH3 will be the much anticipated hybrid camera on the market. Can wait to see real world test for both video and stills. When is panasonic going to stop burring their head in the sand and be more forth coming with their info and release appropriate samples and marketing ? Sure Canikon had lots of images and videos to showcase their new products!!!!

• @mpgxsvcd Could you point me a page where DR calculation is explained? How is possible calculating DR from a video. DO I need a controlled environment and shots?

Edit: I reply to myself: pretty in layman's terms:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/determining-exposure.shtml

• @LongJohnSilver

Sure they are related. Are they the same. No. They are not. However, I think that the jpg comparison above will give you a good indication of how bad the GH2 really is(In any mode) and how good the GH3 could possibly be in jpgs and possibly in video as well.

As far as making the assumptions from the video. Not really. It looks better to me but I have no idea how much better. That will take careful testing once the production model is out.

• @mpgxsvcd Photo and video DR are related? Is it possible make some DR assumption from AKED original MOV?

• As far as dynamic range goes I believe that we will see very close numbers to what the OMD shows. However, that still will not be anywhere near what the best in class cameras have.

Take a look at this comparison. Look how well the NEX-C3 scored(Almost as good as the Nikon D4)! Now keep in mind that these are measurements with .jpgs and they are all at different base ISOs. However, this test most closely represents what we will see with video since none of the cameras shoot RAW video.

Dynamic Range for GH2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 387K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions