Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Definitely. :-))

• Maybe they lie to sell more Atomos Ninja ;) Just kidding :p

• General question.

Wouldn't 4:2:0 = 6 bit 4:2:2 = 8 bit 4:4:4 = 12 bit?

I understand the difference between 8 bit and 16 bit in PS or After Effects - Precision.

And if adding just 1 bit increases color accuracy, How hard could it be to bump it up a bit or two? SD cards are cheap? So are Hard drives?

• @Da_Sting I asked especiall for HDMI out and was given the answer 4:2:0. Maybe we just have to wait and see for the final GH3.

• @disneytoy

4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, are matrix to encode color in a frame.

exemple : "for 2 Green pixels (wich also, is luminance) we only keep 1 pixel of red and 1 pixel of blue. So, the color reproduction is subsampled.

8bit ; 10 bit ; 12 bit are the depth of gradation of the color ( in fact grey level for each (R,G,B,) pixel )

With 8 bit (R or G or B )pixels are coded on 256 level.

With 10bit = 1024 levels etc.

So, the 8bit common artifacts are banding ( on bright skys or when a lightsource is in the frame ) because 256 levels aren't enought to render the subtle gradients.

You can't add or substrate color matrix and pixel depht, that's absolutely not the way it works.

Adding 1 bit does not improve color accuracy : you can't invent a information that does not exist, ( ie an information that didn't pass the matrix ) but it improve color rendition ( you can switch between more levels of grey ).

• woow i´m impressed..you guys should build a team an release "the camera" I realize now that I am just a camera owner...this is rocket sience

• Also some GH3 inside parts:

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/gh3-inside

We'll add later better and more photos.

• @DealjagdLtd About high ISO samples...

• An example of the GH3 tethering via tablet and Wi-Fi:

P1240323.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
  • Vitaliy mentioned it above already but just to be clear: The photo, audio and other questions and answers are up.

Go here and then scroll down below the green questions only. Ther ae the 4 categories: video, photo, audio and others.

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/interview

IMPORTANT: I could not ask all the questins below. I talked a lot before and after the interview, I tried out a lot. A lot of the answers come also from there. I answer all the questions to the best of my knowledge. I hope they are all correct, but I can not guarantee.

When there is “No information”, I either could not aske the question or find it out, or there was just no information available, also from the Panasonic people. They did not get all technical information from Japan, and they were not technicans but either PR people or from the markteting. I hope the information is useful for you. Please also have a look at the video interview, as soon as it is finished. There may be things I have missed here.

Also, I LIKED THE GH3. It had a good feel and I was very impressed witht he low light and sharpness in the videos. No matter if 4:2:0 or not. It will be a very good camera. Perhaps not all what we have expected or hoped for, but there may be alterations in the final firmeware, firmware updates and there is Vitaliy :)

• @inefab

the 8bit common artifacts are banding ( on bright skys or when a lightsource is in the frame ) because 256 levels aren't enought to render the subtle gradients.

re 8bit: whether or not a scene shows banding dependes very much on the (camera's) internal processing of the respective file. skies that do show banding in a GH2's video do NOT show banding in a photo of the very same sky (JPEG, 8bit). My take on this: in photo mode the picture styles and/or other image manipulations are applied to the RAW file (12bit) and first then backed into an 8bit JPEG (this is how every decent camera is working). But in video mode the remapping from 0-255 luminance levels to 16-235 luminance levels is applied to the AVCHD file... so applied to a file that is already reduced to 8bit. Of course I don't know details about the GH2's internal processing ... but I am pretty sure the GH2's banding is caused by internal 8bit processing of an 8bit file. I guess we first get rid of the banding when Panasonic decides to leave the movie files in fullswing (0-255 luminance levels).

... IMHO...

• @narechk

I concur that it is interesting read, and normally eoshd links are not permitted here, but we'll leave one for some time. So, Voldemort could move faster to light side of the force.

• @narechk No doubt about the 4:2:0 then. But hopefully the HDMI output is more suited for external recording this time around.

• So...according to Mr Yoshi Inoue the GH3 HDMI output is 4:2:0. That's disappointing.

• @GH2UW

I can tell you this. No one knows it. All this managers get information from other guys. All their answers are similar.

• @towi Banding is inherent to every videocamera that use 8bit signal processing, but that's right, different type of compression (DV - AVC - JPEG, etc) may reveal more or less this artefacts.

• @inefab

This topic is not about banding. Especially in such level of discussion.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev If all the active people of this forum put their strenght and ideas together, you guys could easily build a New Camera from scratch. With all those fancy features "we all want" and simply destroy the market out there! Setting a new starting point! So all the companies have to offer more and more, but hey less pricy! It has to be done from everybody for the masses , basically like this forum does in a awesome way! Like doing a kickstarter project but in this website! (not there obviously!)

• @chef

I always suggest after writing such things to go and look into the mirror. If it did not help, get your head under stream of very cold water for some time. After this again go and look into the mirror. Will be better. Checked and approved.

• ah i forgot but do u work for panny?lol

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev eoshd - voldemort - the force?? I had no idea!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Maybe it's not the best moment/place...

Why you do not open a GH3 body donation campaign? Pre-orders are already opened. Is it too early?

• @LongJohnSilver

It is simple, because I want our Photokina team to get as much donations as possible.

• 'EOSHD: Is it a Panasonic sensor? So it is not a Sony sensor?

Inoue: Ah no comment!'

o_O

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions