Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • So recently I've come into a problem with Flow Motion V2.02. I never had this issue before a month ago, but out of nowhere I started to get a very odd diagonal noise pattern which seemingly looks like rain at any iso.

This issue is much more pronounced once it's rendered to H264 in premiere CS6 over black, grey and shadowed skin tones. Although, the pattern still seems to exhibit itself in native mts files for a brief moment in VLC when it buffers at the start; it's generally masked until it's converted into another format like H264.

I didn't think it had anything to do with the patch, until I compared both quantum v9b and flow motion v2.02 shooting the same thing in the same lighting. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The bottom left corner is where it's most noticeable. Youtube / Vimeo compression make it pretty hard to see anything, but it's very much there.

• Hi everybody, i am just a newbie , i upload the Flow Motion patch to my GH2 and i am not able to select the "record mode" when i am in manual movie mode ? ( like 720/60p ) Any suggestions ? Thank you in advance

• thanks @valpopando - and your VESUVIO lapse is awesome!

• @LIN3ARX

This issue is much more pronounced once it's rendered to H264...

I didn't spot the issue in your YouTube video, all I could see was YouTube macroblocking in the shadows. Could you make the original FM2 footage downloadable on Vimeo? Generally speaking, once you render original footage to another format, the transcoding makes it difficult to identify how the frames were originally encoded.

• @lucapasturini: try to apply the patch again and see if that helps...sometimes issues like yours occur.

• @LPowell

On the first page you wrote:

"...I've tested and confirmed these features to work reliably at 60Mbps in 1080i FH and 720p H video modes. The 60Mbps FH and H video modes also support 4GB file-spanning on 30MB/sec Class 10 SD cards, and produce excellent motion picture quality that is just a notch more compressed than Flow Motion's 100Mbps FSH and SH video modes."

For some TV productions I need to use the 1080i50 mode, which looks pretty good with FM2.02. I'm using a Panasonic lens and also much of these automatic camera functions. As you stated above, to be safe it's better to use the FH-setting than FSH-setting. I'm courious, what's the exact difference between those settings, is it only the bitrate or are there used longer GOPs or something like that?

Would you say with a fast SD-card (95MB/s) it is also safe to use FSH settings (incl. auto-functions, spanning etc.) or better stay at FH in that case?

And - last but not least - thanks for your work!

• @spreeni To date I have not seen any reliability issues with using GH2 auto-exposure features in 100Mbps FSH mode. And with a 95MB/sec SD card, Flow Motion v2 should be able to span 4GB files reliably in PAL FSH 1080p50 mode. (Take care to format your SD card in-camera before each session, to guard against fragmentation.) I'd advise testing out your setup before your shoot to confirm reliable operation in 100Mbps FSH mode. If you encounter any difficulties, switching to 60Mbps FH mode should guarantee failsafe operation.

• Ah, ok. Thank you.

• Stills of a new project I'm working on. My friend Dave got the Bane mask and some cool clothing for Halloween. Shot with Flowmotion V2.02. I did countless tests between Flow and Boom. I prefer Flow for movement, and the quality is still extremely close to boom minus the card space.

Don't judge these stills, they are extremely compressed!

396376_10151036648442117_1509149330_n.jpg
    720 x 306 - 18K
    377266_10151036648582117_1333624008_n.jpg
    960 x 408 - 27K
    534260_10151036648857117_1193487728_n.jpg
    960 x 408 - 34K
    538936_10151036648747117_1283513460_n.jpg
    960 x 408 - 49K
  • @L1N3ARX I noticed the same problem in my shoot yesterday using flowmotion, so your not the only one that had this issue

• @L1N3ARX I see it, it is in the blacks. Are you on a Mac? I had the same problem, check page 7 of this thread. Seems to be Mac/Quicktime related. Hope it gets fixed

• @LPowell I know how much work you have put in to Flow Motion as others have done with their patches. I am certainly reaping the rewards of Flow Motion's reliability and a big thanks for that. Do you think there is any more that can be done to improve the blocking in underexposed/low light situations with Flow Motion? I normally shoot HBR 25psf, smooth all -2. Sandisk Ex Pro 64GB 95mb/s. Cheers!

• LPowell, Thank you for your patches and advices, In one of my GH2 I have the FM v2.01 and it looks great, but I have a stupid question: when I apply your patch, should I "check" any settings and change anything, or should I leave it as is and just proceed to to save the "patch"? Thank you again

• ROLLEIFLEX memories

• @valpopando: very nice footage. Is the camera still working?

• Thank Mirror Yes she's still working , but is hard to find the films !!

• @Meierhans I've seen links here and there to that Panasonic recovery software, but it seems like their site's been updated since the link was originally spread. Any idea where it's located now, or its name?

• The work is fantastic Lpowell; I can confirm having the same diagonal noise issue; hope this can be sorted out so I can use the patch on the next project. ++

• @L1N3ARX @Frame @Sage

It sounds like this is a Quicktime import issue on the Mac? I haven't seen anything like this on Win7, so I'm not sure what the cause or solution may be.

• Win7 on my end;

CS6 seems to be incorrectly interpreting the non standard B frames that our weird community generates. A confirmed solution for now - 5D2RGB

(not to mention, this results in a butter smooth editing performance..)

• @Sage To my knowledge, there's nothing "non-standard" about the B-frames in Flow Motion v2 video files. I'm using Adobe CS5.5 to import the MTS files, so if there's a problem with CS6, I'll have to see if I can use the trial version to evaluate it.

• Perhaps it'll be sorted w/ an update... they are very good about this [Adobe]. Anyway, excellent work. Also, please consider making a lower # gop 720, at higher bitrate. This'll compromise 1080i for such variation, but there is a greater headroom for 720, and you'll do an excellent job of it.

• @Sage While developing Flow Motion v2, I test both 3-frame and 6-frame GOP versions of 720p mode. Although I initially favored the 3-frame GOP, it was unable to match the quality and stability of the 6-frame GOP. In terms of frame-to-frame continuity, my conclusion is that GOP-length is only an indirect factor. I think it's the frequency of key frames that counts, and with FM2, all video modes produce 8-10 key frames per second.

• Can you send me a 3 gop flavor of FM2? I had much success w/ an* IPPP structure (4)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions