Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev @AKED The GH3 is really nice to hold, however Dieter played with it more, so he would be able to tell more details. For me the size and weight of the GH3 with 12-35 f/2.8 or with 35-100 f/2.8 felt not too different in comparison with the GH2 with 14-140mm. The camera firmware is still in beta, thus expect some improvements. More later... I am going tomorrow again with my press pass ;-)

• We hardly got any answers to all the questions asked in the Wiki. I have an interview with a Panasonic Manager on Wednesday where I will fire 5 pages of questions to him. He has most of them already, so he could prepare. He has about an hour time for us.

I saw him today already. I relly hope to get a LOT of answers on Wednesday. Interview Video will be up on Thursday morning most probably.

Thanks for the donations. Well appreciated.

• We are at $115 today.

See you all later. Need rest :-)

• BTW, the menu greatly improved. Tells what videos are best for what /AVCHD, MP4 and MOV and then in each video resolution (what used to be HBR, SH etc) it clearly says now which resolution it is and with how many bps it is filmed. Very good.

• @AKED

Were there many people there interested in the GH3? Thanks for all of your effort. You are doing a great job.

• So did I miss something or is there no mechanical shutter whatsoever?

• and as VK pointed out earlier Linear PCM audio when shooting in MOV wrapper. This is awesome, please let AGC be off.. or option to turn off

• @mpgxsvcd

Yes, it was a big conference hall and it was full.

• maybe too early to ask, but will there be donations so that Vitaily can get his hands on a GH3 and see if he can push it further. I'm sure it has a lot of scope as the technology under the hood is pretty impressive.

• Did anyone give an idea as to when it might start shipping?

• @Jspatz

November is all I have heard.

• They talked about November for the release

• So, Novemver pre-orders, June in stock, if they do it Pana style?

PS Jokes aside, it is very likely that we're going to see financial tsunami very soon this autumn which will affect prices, supply and distribution schemes, everything. Thus spring-early summer isn't exaggeration.

• Regarding Time code. How do you sync the TC on multiple GH-3 and potentially the external audio recorder? If you can't "Jam" sync multiple devices, I don't understand the benefit of the TC in the GH-3?

• What's with the 44.1 PCM audio, is that a typo?

• This beta is already quite impressive. Let's hope they can iron out some kinks, like the moire we saw in the cat video.

• @disneytoy I think the benefit of TC is just that... TC! I always ask camera peeps to add an hour to the start time of each SD or CF card. For me it goes back to tape days. It really can help differentiate reels.

Not sure if the GH3 will do time-of-day timecode, but that would be very helpful, as well. With FCPX (which I am not endorsing in any way) you wouldn't really need to jam sync footage since the multicam syncing is pretty good. Setting TOD TC on multiple cams should at least get you very close - close enough for the software to make a good call on sync.

• Really sucks to not have the 1.86 crop anymore. Now all my lenses will be different and irritating.

• People complaining about the camera getting slightly larger, people complaining about no XLRs (which would have made the camera WAY larger), just shows you can't please everyone. I like what I see so far, but I'm reserving final judgement until I see more footage and learn more about the dynamic range of the camera. After all, it doesn't come out until November. :)

• @aked @igorek7 Thank you guys so much for all the hard work so far and for the upcoming work on Wednesday. Sounds like you included an awful lot of the questions I added last week. :)

Also, thanks for shooting the GH3 pictures and footage. If it turns out you were able to shoot similar footage with similar settings on the GH2, you will have scooped the world. Also, if any of you or @Vitaliy_Kiselev wants storage for video files, I will be happy to offer FTP access on my site to upload them. But it sounds like you guys have got it covered, and there is always DropBox if you are just sending to a couple people.

I imagine the trickiest part of shooting any sort of comparison footage (other than getting the settings as similar as possible) would be making the lenses as similar as possible.

@DrDave I would not take the 44.1 KHz mention seriously, yet. It has not shown up in the official specifications, or anywhere other than DPReview (except when referencing the DPR article). The DPR article has also been said to have other errors in it, but I have not had a chance to read closely yet.

We do not know the samplerate for the GH3, but until we get any other data, I think most likely possibility would be 48KHz (broadcast standard) as used on the GH2.

• Looks like zebras (record highlights) is in... Just not in beta firmware I suppose

Phew

I hope the touch to focus works as intended as it'll make rack focusing awesome

Screen Shot 2012-09-17 at 2.54.38 PM.png
    375 x 214 - 62K
  • 11 or 12 stops of dynamic range?

• @nod Yeah we brits dont half get shafted! Wex go a bit OTT on their prices anyway.

• £1549........anywhere near that price is ridiculous, 1k more than I paid for my GH2. I was expecting it to be OMD priced at £999

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions