Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @Astro; that vid may well have been softened in post or shot with some sort of diffuser to soften them up. Bloom wrote they used native m43 + 43 lenses, out of which many are good at creating overly sharp images = not very cinematic.

You also talk about the colors being the camera fault - well, we can only assume it has been graded so you can´t say much about the camera there either.

Bottomline is, not much can be said about the video capabilities so far, except for what we know in the specs.

• Well if the Sony non multi aspect sensor is true, and the camera produces video that looks as soft as that promo vid.

Then the Gh2 will be a well sought after beast!!

Its like in the early days when Fender sold to CBS and they started building guitars that didn't expand on the tradition that people liked, like solid metal blocks, nitro finish etc...so eventually people started going back to the earlier models in their droves (and there was no internet and blogs then!!). I realize that this is different than hi tech cameras...but what companies see as a forward move, isn't always forward, its often a step in the wrong direction...(and word spreads quickly...5d Mk3 as an example) But we will see soon enough I guess.

• @thepalalias

May be 14-140mm will drop to $200 a piece inside kit :-) ?

• Regarding price (and all these are in USD for U.S. market):

GH1 - June 2009 MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499/1500

Later on the lens sold for $850 alone but too much time passed before a body only configuration was available to give useful data.

GH2 - At Photokina 2010

MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499.95 (With 14-42mm) $999.95 Body only $899.95

So a circa 44% increase in launch MSRP for a body only configuration from the GH2 to the GH3, with no increase in launch price from the GH1 to the GH2.

• A circular oversized sensor on a gyroscope would be so cool! Just imagine.

• Vitaliy circular oversized sensors is of no practicall aproach since the yield in silicon waffer should not be recomended for mass production, too much silicon wasted :D But it shure sounds good size wise

• Hmm I guess maybe tomorrow Philip could answer why the colors on that promo are so green and brownish, and all the indoor shots of the guy are so blunt and not very detailed. I mean the video was great in that it induced excitement, and style and lots of variety and was very well done...so kudos to Philip on that.

But the colors were dull and flat (camera fault, and a good deal of the shots were soft..(Camera Fault)

Maybe it was because it was a pre production model...I hope so.

Also the non multi aspect sensor from Sony (if that is true) is a big deal to me, if that is true its a dealbreaker for me, so many people like the Multi Aspect sensor...why ditch it? and instead use a Sony?

• It is bad since the active sensor area is smaller, and you need to multiply your lenses by 2 on GH3 instead of 1.86 on GH2. Especially those who prefer to shoot wide will hate that.

edit: That what i call an active tread..

• I bought Gh2 for 630 last year if Gh3 will cost 1300-that is double price for "PRO" in target name. Cant see any reason in this specs. Splash resistant and bigger size makes this camera PRO ? lol

• Multi aspect is not so interesting for me personally; I don´t mind the gh3 being close to the bmd cam in terms of framing on similar focal lengths.

Personally I think that it is time to make circular oversized sensors. Really. At least some simple innovation.

• Ahh...so longer focal multiplier.

• @tinyrobot

Nope, 16mp is used only in 4:3 mode, as it is in all non multi-aspect sensors. Other modes are just croppings, hence less sensor is used.

Bad thing here is wide lenses will be less, well, wide.

• Maybe it´s not so bad if the gh3 has a similar sensor as Om-d. For stills quality it should be great and the handling should be a lot better (than om-d). The question-marks remain on the video side. Moreover, panasonic will have to go to some lengths for the future to get in touch with their own sensors. Multi aspect is not so interesting for me personally; I don´t mind the gh3 being close to the bmd cam in terms of framing on similar focal lengths.

Price seems on the high end (for now) but I expect it to drop rapidly. 2k for cam + 12-35 kit would be reasonable.

• I'm not a techie. I can understand that no multi-aspect for stills means they crop the vertical and don't use the full sensor, but if this is still 16MB, then how is it bad?

Second related question - how is this bad for video?

• Hard to set up a launching campaign worst than this. It seems they managed to demolish all the good hype created in the last few weeks. Anyway the lack of multi-aspect sensor is something really bad. It was one of the unique features of the GH line and now seems to be gone. pretty disappointing.

And the price is for body only version? WHAT?! and the shutter is just 1/4000. how could this be a pro-body? craziness.

• Would be interesting to see how the dynamic range and colorspace stack up again the blackmagic. If they can offer even 10 stops of DR and 4:2:2 colorspace, I would buy 2 of these and sell all the gear I have accumulated. BMCC is an unknown commodity, while Panny has delivered twice (actually VK has delivered for them :-) )

XLR is not as important as people make it out to be. The Rode VM mounted on-camera is good enough. XLR only has an advantage when the mic is mounted off-camera, where vibration, ruggedness and distance is important.

Its also interested that @PhilipBloom mentioned more rolling shutter in the BMCC than the GH2. Hmm! Bad sensor readout design ?

• @Jizzyjones That is good news. At the moment I am waiting to see how the ATC 15,000 MAH fares on the GH2, though.

@matthere Difficult to look at it given how differently video is supported on it (framerates, bitrates, etc.)

• Might it be a good idea to look at the other 16mp sony sensor on a m43 camera for ideas about the possible output?

OM-D?

• 1860mAh battery (think GH2 was 1200) + OLED, so battery life will b greatly improved.

• So...it is sony sensor :(... snif, snif. (my eye is swaeting im not crying)

• @vicx

We'll hear good things tomorrow and some not very good things. But overall pretty positive, according to my sources.

• sensor anxiety! thats a new one in human species. Think im gettin it too.

• Price :/ Hard to say cause final specs could soften the blow. We are used to the GH2 being less refined, having fewer features than SLR, but cheaper, and powerful enough in video to make up for it. But the GH3 might have a Sony sensor, so if the picture just looks like the picture out of a NEX-6 which also has a lot of GH3 features 16MP sensor, Wifi, etc - you will compare the price. The NEX-6 body is $850.

The GH3 is more of a package than a NEX-6 but how $$$ more?

Also feeling sensor anxiety!

• as mentioned on my site I can talk about the camera tomorrow once the camera has officially been announced. All I can tell you is what I am allowed to tell you and that is all mentioned in the blog post. Tomorrow is that far away!

• The G5 has many similarities, sensor size, EVF, framerates, etc.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions