Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @igorek7

I had information about Sony sensor in GH3 from different sources. So, I am almost sure in this.

they give something, but just not enough, so we want to see more, and as fast as possible...

Yes, as I said, hired some cheap US PR agency. Or asked film "pros", that is even worse.
    But most probably two leaks was just plain accidents.

• @John_Farragut The main alternative is staying with the GH2 instead of opting for the new features.

I think most of us would be happy to upgrade as long as the price was reasonable and we did not lose any features/functionality. I think many are apprehensive about the possibility that there may have been things that are not as good on the GH3 as the GH2 - an apprehension that has been triggered by the possibility of a single-aspect ratio sensor from another manufacturer, etc.

Hopefully our fears are unfounded and the GH3 will be able to do everything the GH2 does except better, in which case it mainly becomes a waiting game on the price for some.

But the 600D and 6D both are two full-frame competitors at a slightly higher price-point and if you go higher than that there is a ton of competition: most notably the BMCC.

Anyway, I am not saying the GH3 will not be a good camera. I am just saying there is a lot more pressure now on the Monday press conference with a lot of anxiety while there had mainly been anticipation before.

@igorek7 @mozes I hope you are right. Let's see if they can turn this around when they have our attention. :)

• i think panasonic did it right.
    they have full focus for tomorrow.........
    they give something, but just not enough, so we want to see more, and as fast as possible...

• The latest official news about the Panasonic restructuring its image sensors department as a part semiconductor business were presented in July: http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.de/2012/07/panasonic-in-transition.html There have been specifically mentioned, that Panasonic plants to enter mobile imaging with its MOS sensors. However, the rumors are that the LX7 was already fabricated by some other manufacture (in fact, Aptina is among the candidates). The G5 sensor, even though it lacks the multi-aspect capability is made by Panasonic. As for the GH3, let's wait and see. The "foreign"-sensor rumor can be just a FUD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt).

• If the codec is good, and it has headphone and proper mic levels (maybe even XLR), then it's very reasonably priced for the body. I mean, what's the alternative in this price range, right? With a couple of Noktons, good value proper video production out of the box in small package.

• Specially for Philip.

Release from PB before NDA end does not mean that PB broke NDA. It means exactly that is written, that feature had been releasedh full Panasonic approval!) before NDA ceased to exist and people who had been involved in testing started telling opinions and tech details. Period.

We fully understand that it was sanctioned.

PB still do not answer any questions concerning GH3. And openly state that he is under NDA still.

• @PhilipBloom dont be to emotional and tell us about the sensor :-P Its more important than talk about NDA if we are hours before NDA ending.

• @PhilipBloom I would have been surprised if it were not. :)

Genesis definitely came across a lot better than the leaked promo video, so I am glad it was up so soon after, but I did not think that the timing was a reaction to that.

• the release of "genesis" yesterday was a totally sanctioned and approved decision by Panasonic from the very start.

VK: I edited my post to make it clear.

• So VK...

You are going to 'hack' this one? Because I just LOVE that build quality. The GH2 was like using a box of tissues.

Now all we need are some high end lenses... Looks like I will be saving up for Olympus! :-(

• Also does it matter if it (rumoured) has a Sony sensor? Sony make great sensors

In fact, it is extremely important, as temporary financial and technical advantage to use third party sensor and not invest money in your own team and specs always has clear consequences. Look at Nikon as example.

• $1299?!?!

Too expensive! If Panasonic want me to buy one it should be $750 body only! ;-D

Clearly Panasonic are aiming for the Dslr crowd in the design of the GH3 rather than its own entity. Aiming for new customers.

Guys dont expect 4.2.2 itll be 4.2.0 you know it.

Also does it matter if it (rumoured) has a Sony sensor? Sony make great sensors. :-p

I think the "leaks" are basically due to the Sony announcements and to remind the GH3 coming.

• @brianluce If I still had a quote board, that would definitely go on it. :)

Okay, that made me laugh enough to relax to go to bed. I think I'll hit the hay shortly.

• I think a lot of us have been caught off-guard by the possibility that the sensor may have gone in a different direction as opposed to simply refining the one on the GH2.

I know right? You guys have me paranoid that the GH3 is going to reincarnate in video mode as a 7d or moire machine.

• I think a lot of us have been caught off-guard by the possibility that the sensor may have gone in a different direction as opposed to simply refining the one on the GH2.

I am hoping it all turns out well, though. Just a little anxiety inducing.

• @Vitaliy

I'm sure they've included 24p. Hope so :/ I'm hoping the GH3 will improve significantly on latitude. GH2 image is already sharp enough and alias free for me. But I'd be willing to pay for more latitude, that the only small weakness for the GH2 in my mind.

• @matthere very good point about money and value fo camera. it is worth it? hmmm maybe not looking it that way.

We have also not hear about color. Will it be 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 ?

• @brianluce

It is very incomplete specs.

• So it only does 60p and 50p?

• I have been very interested to hear about the gh3, and anticipated getting one, but if there isn't 720/120/100 I think I can live without 1080/60/50 it would be a nice addition for sure, but with the resolution on the gh2's 720/60 being good already, I don't think it is worth an extra £800/$1300 just for 1080/60 and splash proof. I am still very interested to see if the codec still holds any surprises.. But that is a lot of money to spend when I already have a really good camera in my hand!

• Little bit worried that there's no on board stereo mics :(

• The Sync support is for camera sync or only flash?

• HDR (High Dynamic Range)

I want to know what this means? One button Stills HDR?

HDR video like red?

• It is really too early to tell about UHS - it might just not be considered important by marketing, or it might not be there.

Price is close to what we had been braced to expect. Honestly, I think they have over-priced it. It should not have exceeded the original price of the GH2 with a kit lens for a body only. Especially with the ca. $2,000 and $3,000 options offered by their competitors.

They may have priced people into buying a GH2 instead.

The upper limit on the ISO will be nice if the sensor can support interesting detail in the noise.

I really miss the multi-aspect sensor - but I guess it will mean less vignetting on some lenses. Sad how you sometimes don't realize how much something means to you until it is gone.

In terms of the lower resolution higher-frame rates: there is nothing to support that they are there, but I would be happy if it turned out they were.

So far, 1080 60P and weatherproofing same to be the main selling points. If someone does not need those, then the details we are about to find out become very important (in terms of specific image quality, etc.)

I am hoping that the specifics blow me away, because at the moment I am less enthusiastic about the camera than I thought I would be. Of course, low expectations may make me a happier camper anyway. :)

• At least I understand this one leak.

Most probably they decided to check how much complains about price people will make.
    So, keep complaining!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions