Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Boom is still experimental, so why hold next to FM???
    the differences are in the darker parts, that makes BOOM overall nicer to look ad (for me personally).

When creating and fine-tuning the new settings its oke to do crops so the details pop out.
    but nobody is after that looking ad this, its the overall picture that does it all. and more important what does have the focus

• PPS....by the way. I personally prefer the Boom Flat 4s for my shooting style, taste, and work-flow based on this comparison. Cheers! Thanks again.

• Thanks for posting LPowell. I find it helpful to see the comparison.

ps...For anyone who doesn't like the comparison, I'm not sure why. I don't think that flowmotion looks "better", nor do I think this comparison makes it look better. It's just different. I prefer a flatter image to start with when I shoot (most cine-folks do, for color correction later)....and I think that flowmotion is clearly NOT flatter. Yes, the appearance of sharpness seems to go to flowmotion. Hmmm....interesting. Thanks for posting.

If everyone is going to get all nasty and personal about it....that's fine. LPowell, some of us know that this is just moving images and camera settings (hack config), please keep posting. Is flowmotion better LPowell??? I'm sure you'll agree....it's just different. Better in some ways, not better in other ways.....JUST ANOTHER TOOL, RIGHT????? Thanks again.

Chill Peeps.

• WTF!

@ LPowell 6:44AM:

Tell me what is your intention? What do you expect of these stupid comparisons? Flow Motion is by the way really not the best setting! So do us a favour, and post your comparisons in your own thread...

• @artiswar ah ok, so the original footage is still 1080p?

• OMG!

@LPowell Your War against Driftwood and the other ppl doing great work gets me somehow frustrated... What is you intention? I think you should chill down and get your own Settings completly worked out. And don't get me any other comparison...it's getting me a bad mood! Thanks man!

t3d6255_2388502-double_facepalm.jpg
    750 x 600 - 141K
  • @retrospective - Sorry! it's a screen shot using Command + Shift + 4 on a Mac Pro. Screen's WQHD.

• @artiswar is your frame grab taken in MJPEG since it's beyond 1080p?

• @artiswar Not sure of the point. In more productive insight, has anyone else noticed an INCREASE in grain even at ISO 200 with boom?

Agree...different settings, both great in their own right.

Yes, I have noticed an increase in grain at higher ISO's but to me it's pleasing and not really objectionable. One of the great things about the AN settings including Boom is that even with some noise/grain, they still look clean.

• Not sure of the point.

In more productive insight, has anyone else noticed an INCREASE in grain even at ISO 200 with boom?

facepalm.jpg
    300 x 300 - 13K
  • Flow Motion v2.02 versus Apocalypse Now - Boom Flat 4s - 24H mode

Flow Motion v2.02 (unedited 200% crop): image

Apocalypse Now - Boom Flat 4s (unedited 200% crop): image

Detailed analysis here:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2-100mbps-fast-action-performance-reliability-for-class-10-sd-cards/p17

• @vicharris Similar, eh? ^_^ Couple army guys, but mostly ex-pats. The teaching market is a great way to make a living here.

• @jweeke On second look, the letters should have given it away. Where'd you find all those white guys? Military? I spent 3 years in Japan and that sight looks all too familiar!! :)

• Shooting a short for the next 3 days on Boom.

Still from dailies, precolor.

Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 10.12.22 PM.png
    2186 x 1228 - 2M
  • @ahbleza "Same problem. The AN Soft 444 doesn't span for me with a SanDisk 32 GB 95 MB/s Extreme Pro card."

I think that's normal. You really need the 64 GB card to get spanning.

• @vicharris Thanks, that means a lot! We try to be entertaining, at least.

The video [

] was shot in Seoul, and features a type of alcohol which I'm not even sure you can get in other countries. But if you find it you should try it, because it's truly pretty great.

• @jweeke Nice job! It made me smile! Totally forgot I was watching it to look for signs of a GH2. Just sat back and waited for the story to unfold. Where was this shot?

• @peternap Gotta love that Samyang 85mm!

• here is a Boom! sample.

I'm happy with that quality. thanks, driftwood, cbrandin and VK!

• @Stills, @MirrorKisser. If you are only interested in intra and 24p, then Sedna and CM settings are good to go. If you require any non-24p modes like HBR, FSH and SH, you need a longer GOP setting (3GOP, 6GOP, 12/15 GOP) for stability.

• @peternap - Thanks for the info :) @Stills Boom should be ok in 24H mode

• @matthere The only time I've had BOOM go into fallback mode was when I had it in L mode. The same type of shot did not fall back when I was in H.

I've been doing mostly wide shots (Some really wide with the 7.5mm) all day and it's preformed like a champ.

• @Zaven13 No mention of 24p, 60p or other higher rates? And I'm curious about it specifying both MP4 and MOV... aren't these basically the same, with different wrappers?

• I like BOOM! a lot, but what are other good allround and stable intra settings by Nick? Some recommend Sedna, but that is a rather "old" setting. Thankful for every recommendation, cheers!!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions