Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Did a wee test tonight of AN - DREWnet 12/15 GOP Sharp with Helios 2/58M on 24H, 720p60 HBR, VB. All files spanned no problem at all. In camera play back. Very filmic image coming out of this little beast. Super please with the results @Driftwood Still have to grade the footage but i'm very please with the results coming strait out of the camera. Think I've found my new patch :-) I will be using it for upcoming project. Going to do some more testing with pany 14-140 soft and see what it looks like with the Helios. will try Nebular and upload results in the next couple of days. Again totally chuffed Thank you @Cbrandin @Driftwood @bkmcwd @Vitaliy for all the blood, sweat and tears you have put into making the GH2 what it is. Fecking brilliant guys ;-)

• @ahbleza ! I just recorded 01h01m30s (meaning 7x4.29GB + 1x2.57GB) and stopped because I think it's enough for the test of spanning. So can you try to reproduce this : Cinema 24H, Standard -2 0 0 -2, 50 fps, iso 640, i.Dynamic OFF, i.Resolution OFF, fresh battery, fresh formatted card 64GB 95MB/s class 10 Extreme Pro, Driftwood Cluster V7 AN 6GOP Nebula 444 Soft, Voigtländer 25mm f0.95 ? Hope you'll succeed !

• Hi @Mirrorkisser, thanks, I saw LPowell's settings, which I use (although I stopped using FlowMotion due to issues with its 720p60.)

I went out into the park today, with a fresh battery, a clean formated card and turned i.Dynamic, i.Resolution and AF off. Once again, it recorded only 4.29 GB before stopping. Normally, I use my Voigtlander, but I particularly wanted to use my new Olympus 75mm f1.8 today, and it's just not spanning.

Any other suggestions from anyone? Videospec shows my clips have average of 58 Mbps with 1080p24 (23.976 fps.) I was really hoping this would span.

• @ahbleza, for mixing with af100, i think lpowell has matched the gh2 as much as possible with the af100 and certain flow motion settings. Or try cluster v6 an outstanding setting that did not fail once on me.

• @mozes Thanks for that. ISO was 160. The shoot was a simple interview, with primary camera my AF100 (flawless) as master, so no problems. There's some beautiful looking GH2 footage to cut between when needed. I will try with i.Dynamic and i.Resolution off too, next time. Live and learn.

• @braamokiev Very nice :), I added your video to the Vimeo Channel

• .@ahbleza yes the auto-focus can be the problem
    When focus get lost, and refocus is quick with a lot off contrast or high detail, it can stop recording.
    or even when using a very high iso, but its very rare...

• @ahbleza Do you really need i.dynamic and i.resolution? It might help to turn those off.

• @blaisejadoul My card is the 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s class 10.

One potential issue -- I think I accidentally engaged auto focus during the shoot. Could this be a cause?

• @ahbleza BTW Is your card a 64GB 95mb/s extreme pro ?

• @ahbleza As I wrote before, I shot some tests and the recording lasted 37 and 48 min before I stop it myself. Beautiful and efficient spanning ! The only "main" difference with your settings is i.Dynamic OFF and i.Resolution OFF... And I shot these tests with the Pany 14-140 !

• @ahbleza No problems here. Many others have been good too.

• I just finished a shoot with my GH2 as "B" camera, using Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft' - setd, and I'm not very impressed.

While the quality is fine, I was disappointed that the camera would stop recording several times with no warning, and apparently lose some of the files.

Here's the list of files on the card now:

00000.MTS 32.8 MB 00001.MTS 6.2 MB 00002.MTS 4.29 GB 00004.MTS 4.29 GB 00006.MTS 4.29 GB 00008.MTS 3.37 GB 00009.MTS 2.22 GB 00010.MTS 4.29 GB 00012.MTS 4.29 GB 00014.MTS 1.23 GB

What happened to files 3, 5, 7, 11 and 13?

Basically, I get around 6 minutes of recording before it stops silently. I simply start recording again. Camera settings as follows:

24P cinema -2, -2, -1, -2 Quality 24H Exposure mode M i.Dynamic Standard i.Resolution Standard Aperture 4.5 Shutter 1/50 Lens Olympus 75mm f1.8

I will upload one of the files to Vimeo as soon as I can to check quality, which I'm sure is fine.

I chose these settings because I thought they would span, and be stable. Was I wrong to expect that from this patch?

• @mlysbakken The bad part is that I have to retest everything I've done with that camera lately....which is a lot. That'll teach me to look at ALL my settings.

I was getting annoyed with myself. I'd looked at Onionbrain's tests and they were great. He can take an I phone and make it look like a Red but I just couldn't figure out why mine were coming out so low quality.

• @peternap Whew, that's good news!

• @Driftwood can you check you were defo filming in 24H

I started to not check Nick. I never, absolutely never, shoot in L mode. But when Driftwood speaks, I listen, so I looked at my settings and sure enough, I had it in L.

Whoever said "You're not getting older, you're getting better"...didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

I'll reshoot it tonight. Thanks!

• @HillTop1 when GH3 comes out we might not need anymore hacks :(

• @retrospective +1, I think they are holding IntraVenus for when the GH3 gets announce lol

• Patch Boom L lens leica 50mm and Nikon 24mm Grading with After effects -2, -1, 0, 1

• When's IntraVenus coming out? :D

• @peternap can you check you were defo filming in 24H mode when u experienced fallback as only L mode should produce that problem. L mode is not primed at all for flat 4s.

Thanks.

• @driftwood - THe AN settings are really amazing. Thanks for all this and to the others who test and test... There's somehting of a hobby to all this and it's really fun. Vitaliy is like a father figure here for us all, looking out for "us". My first time getting involved in any sort of forum and it's a great experience.

THe Atacama is like the moon or mars in places, as you must be seeing. Hope you get up to the observatory there. Crikey! that's a life changer.

Bye for now.

• @zcream Actually @Driftwood is based in the U.K. It is just that the GH2 supports the 24H mode better than HBR (and many of the users are using HBR in NTSC so that gets talked about a lot). But there is no way to push the GH2 as far in HBR as in 24H (and that is just in terms of bitrate per second, not even accounting for the difference in data per frame).

• Dont forget 25P please :-) All the devs on this seems to be in NTSC land (USA, Japan)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions