Personal View site logo
Official Nikon D600 and D610 topic
  • 238 Replies sorted by
  • @ahbleza that is a great video and also a great example of a SONY looking picture I don't want in my Panasonic Camera. The FS700 takes a pretty picture but it looks very processed. Did anyone else think Chris had been chromakeyed into the shot at 1 minute in?

As I said in a comment for that video. 3:15 is priceless and why Nikon has no chance of attracting anybody who has ever used a proper LIVEVIEW camera

• @ahbleza very encouraging for video users when he talks about the moire/aliasing. I think that as we have less pixel so less line skipping than in the d800 which result in better moire/aliasing. Perhaps if they had the same system in a 12 to 16 megapixel came we would get gh2 very low level of moire/aliasing.

• Hands-on with D600.

• They don't d600/d7000 have the same pixel pitch at all. The D7000 is a 16 megapixel apsc camera, while the d600 has a 24 megapixel full frame sensor, so about 2.2 more surface area than apsc. The direct equivalent is the d800 sensor with 36 megapixel.

Now perhaps for photo quality those two camera d7000/d600 can be compared to a certain extent in raw (will have to see dxomark for DR). But I can tell you that Nikon has done big big advancement since the d800 compared to any earlier models. They cannot be compared at all in terms of DR, rolling shutter and details. Lets not forget the uncompressed hdmi out, with an Atomos ninja and perhaps a mosaic filter (Will have to see how it does with moire/aliasing in more urban scenery), it could become a beast in terms of full frame camera.

• Oh I see. But what about APS-C models? Sony and Panasonic now manage to include the 1080p on all their DSLRS, even on Sony's new full frame.

• Here's the word from DPReview on the D600:

The D600's UI is all but identical to the DX-format D7000, and It shares the same 39-point AF system. In terms of functionality though, the D600 also has a lot in common with its big brother the D800, particularly when it coms to video specification. Something that we didn't expect on the D600 was the ability to shoot uncompressed video footage via HDMI. This, plus a mic socket for an external microphone, and a headphone jack should make the D600 very appealing to videographers. The only real difference between the implementation of the D600's video mode compared to the D800 is that you can't adjust aperture during movie recording on the new model (unless you use an older manual focus lens with a mechanical aperture ring).

OK, that confirms that the D600 is essentially a full-frame upgrade of the D7000, sharing a similar pixel-pitch, the same inability to alter aperture in Live View, and lacking a real-time histogram. While the D600 does feature broader video functionality, those features are available on the D5100 as well (except for 50/60p video modes). One feature I find highly useful, a fold-out LCD screen, is available only on the D5100. On cameras without a fold-out LCD, you're forced to either mount the camera directly in front of your eyes, or attach a separate video monitor.

In terms of price, the D5100 is available for $550, while the D600 is listed at $2100. Both cameras feature 14-bit RAW stills and comparable dynamic range. What the D5100 lacks are an in-body focus motor, dual SD card slots, HDMI recording, audio monitor jack, auto-focus fine tuning, and custom gamma profiles. If you're looking for a still/video hybrid, can work without these pro features, and don't need a full-frame camera, the D5100 looks like a real bargain. What I'd really like, however, would be a D500 full-frame upgrade...

• @that1guyy Even if Nikon could get 1080 60p out of the D600 why would they put in a feature that makes it worse comparatively to the D800. They've stated their intentions with the D800, it may be unlikely that they'll improve on that until the next major line.

• @that1guyy

Is it limitation of sensor and ASIC used. It is much harder to make 60fps on full frame sensor.

• @that1guyy the new Panasonic will have 1080P 60FPS

• I wonder what the problem is with these manufacturers not putting 1080p 60p? Is there some sort of hardware limitation or they are just lazy? Nikon doesn't even have to worry about a Pro Cinema division so they can go all out, but they don't.

• I find it very very good. Very little aliasing (have to really search for it) and I saw moire once in one guy shoulder strap and another time a see like very faint moire in the water ripples at 3.45 and with there clothes there could have been a lot more. Very detailed and gorgeous dynamic range. Some rough shots in the car etc that seems to handle rolling shutter quite well. There is one place when the guy is in silhouette with a very gradual fade and no real banding.

• They posted a downloadable video, I still downloading

vimeo.com/49436646

• For some odd reason Nikon has issues with metering in live view. For example, the D800 does have a histogram in LV video mode, but exposure meter bars are only available in LV stills mode. Not that I heavily rely on exposure bars in video but why would it be unavailable for video?

• @LPowell Thanks for pointing out that Live View issue.

If I need to exit Live View every time I need to change aperture, I'm out of words.. That's a huge bummer, and might stop me from concidering this camera!! This functions like a "purely designed tech" reminder all the time. - In adition to "not able to change mic gain during recording".. Is this how Nikon plans to conquer full frame video enthusiasts / film makers??

Is there some way of giving feedback to Nikon? I really hope this is possible to address in firmware?

• Until now, I would give Nikon the price for best promotional video. For now until further test I would not put the d600 out of the competition, as one of the best contender in the latest camera announcement. Even more so if you want the full frame look.

One thing that Nikon is not shy to give us is DR. Until now I have been underwhelmed by the Sony cameras DR. Someone said, pair a d600 with an Atomos Ninja and you get 8 bit 422 recording in prores with peaking/exposure/false color etc. for less than the Sony VG900. And I guess it is far from being a bad idea.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

It does look like a good stills camera though. Video is not the best but usable.

• @LPowell

Yep, we had this link in top post.

Want full frame, get VG900, said multiple times.

• Here's a link to Nikon's "Digitutor D600"

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d600/index.html

One of the tutorials advises you to select your aperture before switching to Live View, which strongly suggests that the D600 shares the D7000's Live View aperture restrictions. And there was no mention of a live histogram in Live View mode.

So far, the D600 looks pretty much like a full-frame version of the D7000. For my purposes, that's not a compelling enough reason to upgrade.

• "At Full HD, you can choose from frame rates of 30, 25, or 24 fps. For 720p, meanwhile, rates of 60, 50, 30, or 25 fps are on offer. Bit rate choices are 24Mbps, or 12 Mbps, and you can shoot in FX- or DX-format at either resolution."

• My interest is in how the HDMI to external recorder video looks. These videos I would guess are in camera and they look pretty good, but i'd be curious about just how far the image could be pushed with a less compressed image capture. The D800 stuff i've seen recorded to Atomos Ninja looked great IMO.

The D600 could be a runaway hit with this kind of color and DR. Even with the lower Bit Rate and Vimeo Compression this stuff still looks impressive. Curious about the low light and also how it will handle architectural scenes. They need more cityscape scenes to show how it handles Moire and Aliasing.

• 720p only but so much better than the YouTube one.

• vimeo.com/49395253

• D600: Chasing the Light is post on vimeo but it doesn't allow to be embedded ...