Personal View site logo
Atomos Ninja frying drive?
  • I am an owner of a Ninja that I bought used and as such didn't get any drives with it. I decided on the new Intel 330 series, as they were very good specs at a good price. Everything worked fine in the Ninja, until after a shoot where I left the drive sitting in the caddy on the computer over night (as it was 3 in the morning and we didn't have time to go). I returned the next morning and found everything transferred, phew. But but I had an error message saying that the drive had been unmounted, so I put it into my Ninja... And it didn't register it! I couldn't even format it, to the Ninja I had "nothing" in the drive. It seemed it was dead. I heard that on the 320 series you could get the Bad Context 13x error, where if the drive was unmounted any way that wasn't perfect, it would die on you. Could this be the same here? Because if that's the case, then I'm really scared, as getting unmounted improperly can happen when you pull it in and out of different devices. It seemed to be enough to just have it pulled without the computer unmounting it...

So I wonder, can I do anything to see if I can get the drive working again? Any software, tips? I should mention that I'm a Mac user... And if not, is this a problem with the 330 drives then? If so, any tips on ones that doesn't do this? Because I can not have this happen again on a shoot!

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Can you format it to FAT32 in the Mac (supposing it's a Ninja 1) ?

• Yeah sure, but I format them in the Ninja, which is FAT32...