Personal View site logo
In NYC until December, looking for an internship.
  • Hi, everyone!

I put out a similar post last semester when I was headed to LA, and I just realized I didn't do it this time.

I've already arrived and settled into an apartment in NYC for my semester in an art/film program at the New York Center for Art and Media Studies. For part of my education while here in New York, I get to do an internship. Any suggestions, connections, leads or even offers would be wonderful and much appreciated.

I am seeking an internship related to both cinematography and art.

I have basic experience with a very wide range of film industry equipment. Last semester I interned at a rental house in Los Angeles as a functionality/quality inspection intern. Because of this, I have experience running all types of gear through its paces, everything from kino-flo and arri kits to microphones and digital cameras. I learned how to pick up an unfamiliar piece of equipment and learn about it quickly and effectively.

I feel most skilled and comfortable in a production setting, helping out in any capacity. I enjoy anything involving cameras, lights and lenses. I also have some post-production experience. I understand video codecs, sound design and I know my way around Final Cut Pro, but I do not claim to be an editor.

PM me or just throw up a reply on this thread if you think you can help me out.

-Caleb

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • You sound like a good kid, but you gotta focus on what you can deliver to other people. "I feel most skilled and comfortable" etc is not going to help you. What can you deliver? What are you passionate about? Even if you don't know the answer, go after the first thing that comes to mind and if you don't like it, move on to the second thing.

There are too many skilled but talented people who don't go after what they want, and too many untalented but narcissistic people that do.

And if that advice doesn't help, use FB, other forums, etc, to find the filmmaker you love most who is currently working in NYC and find a way to show up on set -- anyway you can -- and stay there.

You gottta make it happen for yourself. Too many people rely on the internet today. Pick up the phone, show up in person. Be super polite, emphasize how you can help them, and go for it.

• "Pick up the phone, show up in person. Be super polite, emphasize how you can help them, and go for it."

Actually, I snagged an awesome internship doing exactly these things just this week. I'm helping out with a really cool documentary and loving every minute of it. The above is just a version of my cover letter, tailored towards the forum (obviously). Usually, my resume accompanies it, and I let the resume "do most of the talking".

• Caleb (Resume)

Specialized film major seeking a film/art internship. Already knowledgeable, hard working and self-motivated quick learner. Has valuable understanding of cameras, camera rigs and certain HD workflows. Good natural grasp of filmmaking as an artistic, expansive group process.

Education:

Pursuing individualized BA in Film and Art from Bethel University (2009 to present, Saint Paul, Minnesota). Honored by art faculty with academic Scholarship. Recently attended the Los Angeles Film Studies Center.

Completed Courses in Field of Study at Bethel University:

• Introduction to Film • Films of Great Directors • Media Communication • Introduction to Media Production • Film and the Modern Sensibility • Photography • Documentary Filmmaking • Basic Communication

Completed Courses at Los Angeles Film Studies Center:

• Artistic Development in Film • Hollywood Production Workshop • Professional Screenwriting

Camera Experience:

• Canon 5D MarkII • Sony FS/EX/Z • Canon GL2 • Panasonic GH2

Software Experience:

• Final Cut Pro • Final Cut X • LiveType • DVD Studio Pro • Microsoft Office •ClipWrap • ProTools • Cineform Codec

Employment:

Employed at Giese Carpet and Flooring of North Branch Minnesota as a salesperson. Responsibilities included front desk duties, assisting customers on the sales floor, filling out and filing paperwork for customer orders, occasionally running things out to flooring installers, and general cleaning of the store location.

Internships:

Interned for the summer of 2011 at ProMedia Productions, Inc. of Roseville, Minnesota, co-designed and built a beam splitter rig for filming in 3D.

Interned for the spring semester of 2012 at Action Audio and Visual of Burbank, California. Gained exposure to the rental industry as a whole as well as to a wide variety of film and sound equipment, including lights, cameras, scrims and flags, tripods, jibs, dollies, speakers, projection equipment, shotgun and lavalier microphones, etc.

• Give a shot on NYFA, maybe they should need people to assist the scholars to do their short films. That is just an idea, i hope it can be useful ;)