Personal View site logo
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • My reason for getting the 12-35 was mainly that it´s very sharp, reasonably fast and pretty neutral lens that covers all the wide angles I´ll need. Yes, it´s dissapointing that it´s not parfocal but it´s not the end of the world for MY use of it. However had there not been issues with zooming during recording, I could have put the gh2 with the 12-35 in the hands of any documentary shooter used to eng cams / camcorders and get acceptable results. My biggest gripe is the focus by wire. It does not feel right IMO but it could still turn very useful if it can be remote controlled by wifi.

As for OIS, it will of course help with handheld but the biggest pro with it is avoiding jello from micro-vibrations (f.i. if you do a critical dolly or rails shot)

• That's not at all why I bought the lens, my reason was for the OIS, and I would say several other people bought it for that reason. Although the OIS works pretty good, especially handheld, it's nothing I can't get from a rig or stabilizer obviously. I've had my fun with it, but I'm returning it on Monday, it isn't really worth the high cost. There are several better lenses for half the cost, so I'm pretty much trading it for a rokinon 35 t1.5, rokinon 85 1.4 and possibly a gopro 3 after I see a little more from it.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

I do understand your opinion. Nevertheless, nobody's saying someone wanna try "to change from extreme apertures during a shot". A lot of people bought this lens just because they thought it would have a true constant aperture during zooming in and out. Cinema-like lens... People were wrong, just as I was.

• Just tested it out and I see what you are saying, but everything I said in the 2nd half of my previous post is my procedure so it's kind of a non issue for me, which is probably why I didn't really take notice to the issue.

• wouldn't zooming in and out be a "zooming" issue instead of an aperture issue? I'm going to make a test video for you as soon as I make this post.

All "issues" aside, VERY VERY rarely will I zoom in and out during a shot and typically I will have the aperture set before I begin a shot. I exchanged the voightlander 25mm for 17mm for the de clicked aperture, and purchased the rokinon 35 t1.5 because of it's de clicked aperture (if you couldn't tell de clicked is the route I will try and stick with from here on out with lenses because I'm in love with it) But like I said, I try to stay away from having to change from extreme apertures during a shot.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

"I have this lens and have no aperture issues."

How can that be, you don't have this aperture glitch? I own this lens myself and I do have this glitch. My friends have this lens and they do have this glitch.

BTW, every panasonic lens has this "feature". See the beginning of this thread and you'll see that everybody has the same problem.

@GravitateMediaGroup, could you give us some shots you made with this lens (with zoomig in/out)?

Very strange...

• I have this lens and have no aperture issues.

• This clip was shot with the 12-35mm 2.8 & 45-175 vario GX lenses by Jan den Ouden, Holland. Patch used was Nick Driftwood's Cluster V5 25p, cinema settings.

• I use firmware 444 sharp.In 24p mode with 12-35mm lense not switch in ExTele mode, the menu set is not activated. Why?

• @dixier What you mean "I can't see difference." try to shot a fixed point at 35mm , OIS should eliminate the small vibrations of shooting handheld !

• how to check optical stabilization? I turn on\off, but I can't see difference.

• 12-35 aperture glitch:

sad, very sad :-(

• We returned the 12-35mm lens because of the aperture glitches, summarized here:

A call to Panasonic (and their natural-language-phone-tree-from-HELL) confirmed that this is a "design feature" of the lens.

I'm back to using the Oly 14-54mkII which is optically similar but has the same aperture blade "jumps" and is noisy as well. However, my wife's documentary work really requires a lens in that 28mm-70mm equivalent range, parfocal, quiet and with constant aperture.

I have not really found anything equivalent to what the 12-35mm was supposed to be for the GH2. My 16mm roots has me thinking of trying an old Angenieux zoom. Ok, just typing that made me cringe... there's got to be something better.

• Just do it! The Oly is cheaper and it's really good. Don't expect a zoom to perform like a prime.

Plus, it has an option that comes close to manual focusing.

• How does this compare at 12mm to the oly 12mm f2? i wanted to get the 12mm for street photography at f2.

• Even Canon "L" lenses on the expensive C300 don't have completely stepless aperture.

Get something mechanical and use your hand!

• "We'll need to ask Panasonic guys about reasons for this."

@Vitaliy_Kiselev, since you're arranging the "Photokina team" I recommend to include this issue into the questions' list your team has for the event. More important is that the same aperture glitch will be 100% in the new 35-100 lens.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I think that sums it up very well.

• We'll need to ask Panasonic guys about reasons for this.
    Most probably they have something like stepper motor controlling aperture. And step size is not enough to make it seamless. Or it is just small firmware issue.

If you need really smooth zoom - best bet is to get old push-pull zooms.

• Thing is; the aperture "feature" should be possible to improve through a firmware update, so I encourage everyone using it to let Panasonic know.

I just did a test of it today and it seems it´s not a mechanical problem, but a problem of how the aperture is controlled, and it differs depending on what aperture you use. Like at f8-10 there are two "clicks" and wide open there are three..

• @thebmillz,

Your problem regarding the constant aperture "feature" of this lens has been described a lot of times in the beginning of this thread (see the page 2). I wrote about it too because I noticed the same effect when I bought this lens...

All I can say is that you gotta live with this lens or sell it.

The upcoming Panasonic 35-100 will have the same fuc...g feature. I'm sure about it.

• http://www.slrclub.com/v/panasonic_forum/121992/?page=2&divpage=22

The guy seems pro in disassembling. He had disassembled Leica 45mm 2.8. Yes he assembled too.

His comment about 12-35. Mostly plastic screws. Only one O-ring around the mount. The barrel contact area has nonwoven material. He says, "Use it with extra caution in rainy day."

• It;s worth the risk to me. But so are a lot of things. thx

• For some of us the OIS is the main attraction to buy this f2.8 lens. I wonder whether the flicker will be present on the GH3 with it, maybe it can be software controlled ?