Personal View site logo
All about 8K format, Super-Hi, H.264 and HEVC
  • 88 Replies sorted by
  • To add a couple of thoughts:

i) The compression we use these days is pretty crude and designed for processors that have been around for 10-15 years. New maths applied to larger areas and over several frames (if we even use frames in the future) would allow for much greater resolution over the same bandwidth.

ii) If they were available 8K sets would drive the development of upscaling boxes. When I was little I saw a presentation on Fractal Compression that could add back 'detail' that was probably there (i.e. it extended the fractal that was used to compress the image in the first place). The results were amazing on material like landscapes.

• Gonna take many years for co's like BSkyB and other Satellite Ops around the world to bankrollout 2k let alone 8k. These Sat boxes (Sky in the UK for example) are installed in 8million homes and theyre already at full capacity in terms of broadcast channels in the available EPG (every new bank of 16 transponders on a fresh satellite contains compressed space for around 4-8 channels per transponder). Their HD channels are at best 720p.

They would have to rollout a completely new service (launch a few more sats) manufacture/bankroll a manufacturer to make boxes and charge a fortune for premium quality material - imagine over a £100 p/month to subscribe for a small bouquet of 8K channels... and in this climate?

Cable co's are better geared for this with fibre optic technology etc... but bandwidth is still at a premium.

• @chazzmoe

Most interesting here is that old decision that moved most TV distribution to the satellites around the world. As for cable operators, it is just capitalism, they can use very high bitrates, but it means that they need more hardware that cost money. They better write themselfs some premium :-)

• I'm watching TV on a 1080p tv right now and I think the thing people overlook is, yeah it's 1080p or 8k but your provider (Dish network, Direct tv, cable, whatever) compresses the crap out of it so your seeing a much lower resolution anyway, I can just imagine watching 8k tv through a 7mbs stream.

• 8K is a tentative benchmark resolution arrived at partly because of the need to preserve and archive motion picture film:

So far, early films like the Wizard of Oz show the film emulsion can resolve more detail than current 4K release copies - and even 6K is not quite enough. So they threw 8K resolution at it for the latest release, and probably final archival version.

Newer film stocks since the 1930's employ massively finer emulsions and we can expect higher res digitization formats to follow as Moore's Law makes the processing and storage affordable, then cheap and finally, trivial.

• For me, the most important overlooked aspect is this was developed at
    8K at 120Hz on a roughly APS-C sized sensor!

(Sorry Full-Frame... maybe next round of standards in 2050 or so)

You can use existing stills glass, if you had to...

If you read Reduser, they leapfrogged Red's 6K Dragon sensor in resolution and framerate- but then again, this is a future compressed broadcast standard and not a film standard...

• The most serious challenge with the large 4k sensors is cooling. Some cameras use fans to cool, in the case of BlackMagic Design Cinema (2.5k sensor) they use combination - metal body works as a heat radiator, plus fan. How do you cool 8k sensor in a small-ish rig?!

• I think a bump in resolution, probably with OLED as Vitaliy suggests, would provide a noticeable bump in quality and certainly there is room in the marketplace. The absence of pixels at distance greater than nose creates a compelling illusion.

• those cameras where used ad the Olympics...

• I can't wait to run a C64 emulator on such a 8k screen... or better: run 504 instances of a C64 emulator concurrently, each in its own, unobscured window ;-)

• but this is getting ridiculous, whereas, home use is concerned

I do not agree. As such res home wall made from OLED could be pretty standard option in few years.

• I can understand the implementation for movie theaters, but this is getting ridiculous, whereas, home use is concerned.

• Any speculations on how long it may take to see consumer products for this format?

For cameras it'll be very short period :-) As for TVs, it'll take years.

Main problem with all this is our eyes.