Personal View site logo
GH2 Rain-like diagonal noise
  • I purchased a GH2 about a month ago, so I'm rather new to it. Recently I've noticed a strange, diagonal, streaky noise in my footage. It almost looks like rain in parts of the image, and it always appears to be moving in the same direction (from upper left to lower right). I was using the Flow Motion 2.02 patch, and thought it might be somehow related to that, but I switched back to the original firmware and the "rain" is still there. I've tried 2 different lenses, and I see it with both. I'm not even shooting at that high of an ISO (400). Any ideas?

Examples here (view full screen):

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • I get that noise too... BUT. I got it when I used the Sanity hack, and saw it only when I watched the footage in premiere pro CS5 at a lower-than-native resolution. Watching it at Full looked fine, and it rendered well, too.

BTW, your Vimeo videos don't seem to be working properly: one frame per second?

• I get that recently too. I can't find the root of it, but right now it shows up after i export from PPcs6.

• Interesting. I don't see it when I play back the original MTS files in VLC. Could it be an Adobe thing?

(I think the Vimeo playhead is just snapping every second. The video seems to be playing fine, at least in fullscreen. It's hard to tell because there's no actual motion, just noise)

• Here's what I know - I shoot exclusively with Sanity 5 and use Premiere Pro 5. I've never had an issue. However, I saw the diagonal streaking when I played the same footage in Premiere on a friend's computer that wasn't as fast as mine. So it appears to be a realtime decoding issue brought about by under-powered hardware. The good news is the footage itself is fine, and it rendered fine on my friend's computer.

My machine has a Core i7 920 processor overclocked to 3.8 GHz. My friend's computer has a Q6600 processor overclocked to 3.1 GHz.

Also, my friend was using the software version of the Mercury playback engine, whereas my machine has an Nvidia card and uses the hardware version. That might have something to do with it, as well.

• is sanity like the best or something alot of people say they only use sanity

• Had same problem. Here's my situation-hopefully we can solve problem. I shot with GH2, no hack/setting, just stock firmware, 1080p. Edited in Prem Pro on PC. Burned a Standard Def DVD (720x480 Res). It played fine on DVD player. But putting DVD in my MacBook pro (3GB RAM)and played it, and got Diagonal Rain on some shots. The MacBook pro doesn't have a 720x480 screen resolution choice, so maybe the different Res issue as mentioned before between footage and monitor could be cause. (I must say this Diagonal Rain was only slight, but curious to cause as I'd like to avoid in future). Any ideas on culprit?