Personal View site logo
Cheap resin 4x4 ND filters
  • 52 Replies sorted by
  • @Sangye: I can confirm that from my limited testing. You can see my shots with Fotga's 4x4 filters above and I also got the more expensive glass filters Cinematics makes (the newer generation) but they have both been crap. Too much color-shift and also a huge loss in sharpness. To save myself some money, I bought a Heliopan Variograu screw-on filter that is awesome. I will upgrade to a decent matte box with good 4x4 filters when I have money.

• @peternap Thanks, that does look like it could work but I get the sneaking suspicion that since it holds 4X4s it's too big to fit in my mattebox without some serious modifications.

• Here's my advice on filters: don't be cheap. There are many ways to cut costs when building up your video gear. Filters are not one of them. Across the board, cheap filters look cheap. I have never seen a cheap ND filter that looked any good. In middle price ranges (e.g. $150-$250 for 4x4 filters) there are some good deals, but anything under $100 is probably going to be crap.

• Has anyone used the LEE Filters 4x4" Neutral Density Polyester Filter Set?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks, hopefully it'll be available soon. Seems like a simple enough concept. I figured it would exist already.

• @Xenocide38

Do not know about such thing.
    We are working with Lanparte on similar stuff, do not know how soon it'll be available.

• Has anyone seen a 4x4 filter tray that has a hole cut in it with 77mm threads? Basically a metal square that you could attach a threaded filter to for use in a mattebox. I've been looking around but can't seem to find anything.

• I have a cheap one-- I bought a 60 or 70$ Lee .9 ND 4x4 for my MB but its basically worthless because the image gets ghosted back on the reflection from the filters glossiness...

• I don't have an IR filter but I'm currently in contact with Fotocola and they advise me to simply adjust the white balance and redo the test. I will do that tomorrow or as soon as I have time.

• Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm but could that magenta cast be the greater ratio of IR filtrating through as the ND increases.

@pechente and n3f0, if you have an IR filter, could you try stacking it to see if the magenta cast weakens?

• I also bought the Fotga filters and can confirm what n3f0 said. They have a red tint and heavily decrease the detail in the image. Here are some samples:

image ↑ No ND

image ↑ Fotga ND2

image ↑ Fotga ND4

image ↑ Fotga ND8

NO-ND.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    ND4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    ND2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    ND8.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Long time ago I bought the cavision glass filters. They are about $50 each and also turn everything pink. Useless. Strangely enough their plastic nd grad filter is great, and I can just push it all the way in to get an nd 3.

• Speaking of clearouts, classic black soft filters are being sold pretty cheap right now directly from schneider. I believe these are the type often favoured by Spielberg -- think war of the worlds was shot with them. Won't work with 2/3 inch chips but seem fine with m43s and larger.

• I recently bought a set of Fotga ND grad filters from China and tried them out today. What lovely pink skies i now have. Don't waste your money buying these filters. (unless you really want a pink cast on your pics.)

• Samy's camera is a pro still and video camera store here in Los Angeles. Order from them without fear. They are the LA version of nyc's B&H.

• I would also advice keeping an eye on this eBay seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/samyscamerainc/m.html?_nkw=4x4&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313. I picked up two new Schneider optics filters for 39/49$, the seller claim they are new, unopened and undamaged genuine Schneider filters. He had 2 of each for sale, but they obviously sold in no time at that price.. but I'd still check his page from time to time!

And I'll keep you guys posted if something's wrong when I receive my order..

• A little tip for UK based people and that's the used filters from ProAv.co.uk. I picked up a Formatt Polarizer, Formatt ND 0.6 and a Tiffend 1/2 Pro-Mist for £30 each!

• Has anyone tried the Fotga filters and care share some thoughts about it?

• @VK - safe to assume these Fotga filters are also not glass based on price? It doesn't mention anything about materials in the listing.
  • Fotga filters now available in sets and dropped in price ($84 set price with shipping)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/fotocola/m.html?_nkw=4%22x4%22
  • Yep, of course not glass.
  • @artemator at this price, you can safely assume it's not glass.
  • Somebody knows from what material these filters are made?
    Plastic is not so good for HD shootings.