Personal View site logo
The Definitive Hackintosh topic
  • I'm sure someone out there has a behemoth to show off. I'm in the process of building and Ivy Bridge Quad-core with 32gb of RAM, SSD boot drive, and newer NVIDIA card. All for a bit over $1000. Super stoked.

• 359 Replies sorted by
  • Fantastic! I'm looking at building or buying a new machine. I'm about 85% sure going to Windows but wouldn't mind having both. Which specific board and card did you end up with? Are you doing any 3D?

• I did the UD5 board from Gigabyte as well has the GeForce 560 Ti. I'd definitely go with a hackintosh. Having the ability to run any OS under the sun is nice. No 3D in the foreseeable future.

• I'm currently planning to build a hackintosh, using this beast:

http://www.vizio.com/notebook/specs

I hope to use Unibeast, in a configuration with an external USB 3.0 drive as the primary boot disk for OSX: http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-1-5-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

There are some nice build options here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac

• GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt Ivy Bridge board with some potential. Upgrading to ML and this board on my Customac this week.

• i7-920 UD5 SSD, 12Gb ram 4TB HDDs, this setup is working great for almost 3 years. I'd never touch it if software would not force me to update.

• I have a 3930k on a asus x79 sabertooth motherboard. Nvidia 560. No problems. Tonymacx86.com is your friend.

Also for a laptop, dell xps 15 quad core works, but only with intel integrated graphics, (no support for 525m) but other similar laptops have discrete graphics working.

• i7 @4.8GHz 32 Gig Ram Agility 3 SSDs GTX580 on Lion all running peachy here no crashes Pro Tools Logic and Premiere running fine and fast

• @markmark1 Does your machine have sleep issues? I've heard x79 based systems have DSDT issues.

• I've got a compact and performant Z68, i7-2600k, Radeon HD6870 system running nice 'n smooth. Full specs: http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/30271-performant-micro-atx-system-good-choice.html

Pretty stoked since I recently updated my system to OSX 10.7.4. Fixed my USB3.0 ports and overclocking is now too damn easy. Waiting for my replacement cooler to arrive in the mail to turn things up a bit :)

Tonymacx86 is indeed the best resource (unibeast, multibeast, etc). Be prepared to wade through pages and pages of forum posts to find answers to your system's specific issues. It can be frustrating but rewarding in the end!

Btw, stay away from the single fan XFX HD6870 2GB graphics card. Too damn loud. No reason to take an old Radeon considering Mountain Lion's support for new Nvidia cards anyway.

• I got a working Hackintosh for over 5 years now, recently upgraded to the i7 2600k GTX260 and 16GB DDR, runs buttersmooth.

• @dtr - What issues did you run into with your install?

• At first my mobo's USB3.0 wasn't working, fixed now. And a weird glitch with the ethernet port. My macbookpro and hackintosh can only communicate over ethernet if I boot the hack with the cable connected on both ends. Have to check whether that's resolved with my latest update.

Apart from that in the process of installing and tweaking there were quite a few steps to take, like a wrong ethernet kext (driver) was causing a kernel panic, had to tweak the BIOS a bit to get intel speedstep and turbo boost working, finding the optimal SMBIOS for my system, deleting a kext that was preventing that SMBIOS from booting, and more. Also with past multibeast/chimera/OSX versions I had to test and tweak my DSDT a lot before my graphics card was fully functional (all display outputs, acceleration, etc). In more recent versions it's recognized automatically by chimera.

All info for fixing these things can be found on the net. It just can take a while before finding it. Choosing hardware that has been tested by others before is advisable.

A minor glitch that I'm still having is the USB2.0 ports on my firewire+usb PCIe card not working. Firewire is working and I have enough USB on my mobo so I don't really care.

• I have a core i5 2500k, overcloked to 4.3ghz and 16gb of Ram at 1333ghz, Gforce GTX560, a only one 1tb hard drive, all running in an Asus p8z68. Fortunately i have usb 3.0 on board. All stable. Hate macs, its for non powe users. Still got work to do, to make it run at 4.8 but heat is the issue when i hit the 4.5ghz barrier. Voltage twaeking and memory timings is time consuming. Good luck on your system build up.

Sin-título-1.jpg
    474 x 478 - 42K
  • @soundgh2: Thats cool. I'm using PT&Reaper. What Motherboard?

Right now, still doing research. How much more do you really get in the real world with PT/3D/Video with the Xeon2687's? The overclocked 3930k looks to be excellent price/performance. I think that may be the way to go for me.

• @pvjames - Isn't that an X79 set up? Major sleep issues and tapering support from Apple doesn't seem worth it.

• @artiswar You shouldn't be having problems with Sleep in ML. Remove Sleepenabler kext as you dont need it anymore. All kext extensions now run from system/Library/Extensions. There's also no more 32 bit mode in ML so be careful about using any old 32bit kexts to 'fix' things.

• @driftwood - My machine isn't even built yet but I've heard using Xenon processors require a X79 based board which has issues with sleep. My current slated build is x77 based which has no real issues.

• @pvjames - Pricey pricey. I can't justify a Xenon system. 3770k i7 is enough for me.

• I went the hackintosh route

dual booting fcp studio 3 and fcpx

Z77X-UD5H, core i7-3770, 16gb ram, sapphire 6870 delivered 3 network projects so far at lightning speed!!

• @artiswar: i don't think i will go that route either cause the performance for that price doesn't correlate with an overclocked x3930.

• Guys, what do you think about instructions to make dual booting hackintoch, so all Mac system will be located on external USB 3.0 drive?

• That's super easy to do, just install the system to the external drive as you would as if it was internal. The tonymacx86 multibeast app just installs the boot loader to that drive, have the bios boot from the external drive and you are good to go!

• Btw, to avoid misunderstandings, installing on a USB drive doesn't mean any PC can now be booted with this OSX install. The tweaks required in order to make a system boot and run optimally are highly system-specific, so the chances of successfully booting a random other system are quite slim.

• On the Z68xx boards you can poke F12 during boot and choose whatever drive you like to boot from - USB Internal etc works just fine, super simple setup using that board and they tend to have premade DSDT's on Tonymac also. A clean install takes about 10 mins on a clean drive and off you go.