Personal View site logo
85mm F1.4 and T1.5 Cine Rokinon, Samyang Lenses
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • @peternap Yes, all Nikon lenses have focus rings that turn in the opposite direction as Lumix, Canon, and Sigma lenses. I chose Nikon (and Rokinon & Tokina F-mount) lenses specifically for use with a follow focus because that's the direction I want it to turn. If you prefer the Lumix focus direction, I'd recommend getting Rokinon, Tokina, or Sigma manual-focus lenses in the Canon EF mount as you did, without an iris control lever.

• @Tobsen with the Nikon mount, does the focus ring turn in the opposite direction as well?

Yep, which doesn't bother me. I have a lot of Nikon glass and can go either way. I do use a follow focus but only on a couple of lenses.

• @peternap thanks for your reply. @vicharris with the Nikon mount, does the focus ring turn in the opposite direction as well?

• @Tobsen I went with all Nikon mount. I had many different types of mounts but decided to just stay with MFT and Nikon to make change out glass much easier. Another reason I went with Nikon is there is tons of old glass that has a manual iris ring on the camera. Not so much with the Canon mount stuff. Also, I don't think the cine ones will be worth it IMO for me. I can declick the glass my self and I like being able to slide the FF gear anywhere I want on the cam. I know for certain lenses it needs to be all the way back to make it work with a MB and rails. With all these Cine lenses coming out, I'm sure people are going to get rid of their old ones which are the same exact glass.

• @Tobsen I got the Canon mount. I didn't have a Canon adapter that DIDN'T have the iris built in and this was a good reason to get one. Aside from that there was no special reason at all.

• Many people are talking about this Samyang/Rokinon 85mm lens. You got me interested so I asked them if they will release a Cine version of it anytime soon. Around end of September they said :)

Since I haven't found a m43 version of it, I am wondering what lens mount you ordered? I am currently not sure what mount would be the most "future-proof" considering what great cameras are being released withing the next months.

• Just got mine in today. What can I say, just wow for the price and built like a tank. Sharp as hell! The focus ring is a bit stiff. Much more than the 35 but it still works really smooth with a FF. You're just not going to rack really fast!

• @vicharris Okay. I thought the 'it' was referring back to the 85mm. Unfortunately the Rokinon 35mm seems to breathe quite a bit as well from all reports. However you won't find much of a breathing issue with the 85mm.

• @pundit No, I meant the 14mm. I know a swerved off topic for a sec. I was just commenting on how I would like a complete set of primes from them, except the 14 from the marks on Rockwell. He seemed to love the Rokinon/Vivitar 85 and 35. I have the canon and nikon 35 here and they rock except for the damn breathing.

• @vicharris ??? I think you mean Rockwell gave the 85mm pretty good marks.

• Waiting for mine to come in the mail any day now! I might just end up with a whole damn prime collection of these lenses. Well, besides the 14mm. It received pretty bad marks over at Rockwell.

• @pundit Thanks! I just ordered it at $294. off Amazon with a Canon mount so It would work with my FF.

• @peternap It is a re-branded Samyang. It's sharp wide open with very smooth creamy bokeh. For a still lens it is actually very suitable for video as it has a very nice focusing action with almost imperceptible breathing, if any. And yes it's a bargain. You won't be disappointed. Incidentally the Rokinon version usually sells for around $30 to $50 less than the Samyang version.