Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • @johnbrawley Did you use this cam anywhere in the Cocorosie video you did? Anyway, stunning images.

• Special message to "company saviours". I have no interest in "BM is good, give them time" here. Same way as I won't tolerate unfounded bashing of any company, I won't tolerate unfounded flame on how good they are if they are not.

• Taking a cue from all this BM madness, it'd be nice to be able to tease investors who put money in our films, by playing a similar game of peekaboo. "Oh, the first cut will be ready by July,' but come the end of the month, no sound, no picture, no comments

• @johnbrawley

If i were johnbrawley, i would stop participating in this forum cos I clearly have stakes with BM, and my views wd be anything but objective

• If i were johnbrawley, i would stop participating in this forum cos I clearly have stakes with BM, and my views wd be anything but objective

LOL. Take it easy :-)

John is not working for BM. I doubt that he has anything in common with weird BM behaviour, as it has no voice in this decisions.

• In Singapore, i heard the first shipment has been pushed all the way back to October : )
    What has happened Blackmagic? Care to verify?

• Just to keep this straight, this is not a flame message on how good BM is. I just want to point out that they did say they would ship to the distributers in July. It is still July, so as far as we all know they are still on schedule, and there is no delay. As for releasing video, that could mean two things: One, they are still tweaking the camera; or Two, they just don't want to. The fact is you don't need to understand their marketing strategy. Only time will tell if it will work. Come August 1st and the camera's are not on route to the distributers, there is no footage, and/or no word from BM, I will join the nay sayers and agree that BM has made a mistake. Personally I believe we will get at least two of those three, by the end of the month. Remember there is 6 days left in July.

• From the recent interview, isn't BMD waiting for certification? ProRes certification from Apple? Perhaps the codecs they support?

• I believe it was mentioned it was the thunderbolt certification they are waiting on from intel and ProRes certification from Apple. Once those certifications come, they should be able to ship. That is unless they are still tweaking the camera, which could be a bad move. I think a lot of us are waiting until the end of the month. If nothing significant happens there will be a lot of angre people.

• I believe it was mentioned it was the thunderbolt certification they are waiting on from intel and ProRes certification from Apple..

This is that could happen if you use wrong interface and wrong format :-)
    Sorry, could not resist.

• I believe I've read it here, lots of good information. I apologize if its been posted but it's the transcript of the video from a couple of pages back.

http://filmmakeriq.com/2012/07/exclusive-blackmagic-answers-your-questions-about-their-new-cinema-camera/

• "This is that could happen if you use wrong interface and wrong format"

Hot sure I understand what you are saying here.

• Prores is 100% the right format for my workflow, fwiw. I think a lot of other people feel the same.

• Got reacquainted with a friend recently and found out he has been shooting with AF102 but he records footage straight via SDI to AJA Kona on Prores 422 HQ. I have been thinking, if BM cam's censor is smaller, wouldn't it make sense to just use existing technology like my friend's workflow rather than wait on BM with bated breath. Those who hv tried a similar workflow, how's the quality? I have seen comparisons between images acquired on AF102/ext recorder and images taken off a hacked GH2 (sedna AQ1) and honestly, I can't tell the difference until it's time to color grade or chroma key.

How would AF102/ext recorder compare with BM cam?

Anyone cares to share? Cheers

• @kazuo

I'll PM you to discuss since your question is off topic and the AF100 to external recorder was my work flow for the last year.

• @Brian202020 The right interface is USB 3.0 :) Not in the least for contemporary genital operations.

• been following the recent developments in this thread. just want to say that I appreciate the way you're keeping things honest and even keeled, Vitaliy.

• LOL! Fortunately, there will always be willing early adopters. To tell you the truth, we really need them to take the bait and find out what's for dinner. I'm not one willing to try, but fortunately there are others.

I happen to think the whole thing is a joke. I certainly don't buy a car without driving it first. Although, from a marketing standpoint, I certainly understand why there's no early footage for the release model. I remember what happened with the pre-order list for the HVX200 when footage was released. People cancelled orders in droves and many moved towards the JVC HD100, which of course, had its shortcomings too.

• How would AF102/ext recorder compare with BM cam?

Much less DR and softer-720pish image. Sorry to be blunt. But that's about it. AF-100 even with an external recorder only look a tad better than my 7D for detail. I know we haven't seen any real footage yet... but those stills that were just posted really do have that true film aesthetic.

As for releasing video, that could mean two things: One, they are still tweaking the camera; or Two, they just don't want to.

They could also be producing more of a short-film than just test clips. Remember the FS-100 release videos? They gave it to some ass-clown who left in it auto-mode and recorded everything in 60i. So I like to hope they're going for more of a "Mobius" approach with this.

• @bwhitz

you talking about those graded by Shian? Let's not confuse real filmic properties with Shian's exceptional ability to pull colors out of an image. I daresay if you pass him some images taken with af100/ext recorder, he could get similar results.

• I think if we are patient, the camera will come out and the image will look great==almost as good as a hacked GH2! In the meantime, I would only ask ppl, hey, this is a low BS forum, if ppl want to post samples, post real samples, which in this case is a nice, ungraded chunk of raw footage. Only reason not to release raw is that they don't want us to see the footage ungraded. JPEGS don't tell us anything, except in this case we now know that the JPEGS have chunky grain in them. There is no reason not to release raw, this is like Romney's tax returns, there shouldn't be any license conflict with raw. And if there is a problem with the release date, ppl in this forum respect transparency and honesty, of course, and they don't don't like heavy waffling. I think most people here have had a project that did not go out the door right on time because it was not quite ready. I'm sorry, but JPEGS? In a video forum? And we spend time making these fake samples look better? We will not get any raw footage in this scenario. I think if we want raw footage we basically should just take whatever fake samples they give us, oversharpen them, add some heavy contrast and maybe some magenta, then we will see some raw. Someone could also shoot a similar model with the GH2 and the Olly 45 and we could grade that and it would look just as good, without the chunky grain (it would have some grain, though). Anyway, when the cam does come out, then we will have all the raw we want, so no big deal. I look forward to comparing it to the GH2, or the GH3 if it is delayed any more, as well as the 4K JVC GY-HMQ10. Also, my high end speakers aren't grainy.

• @HHL @retrospective

No "kids" here. And I am amazed with your logic. I do not see here ANY bashing of BM for delays. I know, in every similar topic, "company saviours" always come to protect poor guys. You don't have to. This is business and this company has many guys who get big money for this. Don't do this work for them for free :-)

@Vitaliy_Kiselev

Yes. No kids. Just another approach. If I thought that it would help to complain....I wouldn't hesitate to do it. If people don't want to be a part of the early adopters group, cancel your order. DONE. My approach is to give this group (BMD) space, time, and a little bit of patience. I understand that you feel like I'm giving them too much....no problem. You put the pressure on....I'll exercise patience and no doubt we'll all live. Cheers Vitaliy!

• @kazuo an external recorder of the af100 is only 8 bit for starters. Plus the DR of the AF100 is a lot less than the BMCC.

So you could record 10bit HDsdi from the BMCC uncompressed via its HDSDI or 10bit ProRes internally or DNx or 12bit RAW CinemaDNG. Greater bit depth gives a lot more room in the grade to move things around.

You also misunderstand my relationship to BMD. I know them and have known the owner since before he started the company before he had before BMD.

They play their cards close to their chest. There was no leak before NAB. Even now, with cameras out in the wild there is still no footage until BMD want it to be released. This is what they choose. This is their right to choose. You don't have to like it.

I'm a working cinematographer, happy to put my name out there here on this forum and share my own and personal views of the camera. I can offer some insight into BMD thinking because I'm a friend of theirs. I also believe I'm honest in my views about the camera. I'm not looks to protect BMD in any way and I don't have any stakes whatsoever with the company. Where I'm not bound by NDS I try to be as forthright as I can.

I'm not paid by BMD.

I don't have any ads on my blog.

I havent had any deals with accesory makers.

I have a couple of cameras on loan but they are prototypes.

I'm just a DOP who likes new cameras that allow me to do a better job. I get excited by possibility.

I've used RED, EPIC and ALEXA as well as AF100s and 5ds and even hacked GH1s in episodic national TV.

I am surprised, that of all the forums for independent filmmakers out there, this one has the most pessimism, cynicism and hostility towards what should be an awesome thing. An established company making what is for them a brand new product. Something that on paper offers something no one else offers.

Hey maybe they will be late on delivery. But they're not technically late yet. They have a track record for delivery what they say they will.

Yet here, where you would think this camera should almost have a spiritual home amongst those who choose to not play with what the big boys serve up.....

JB.

• I am surprised, that of all the forums for independent filmmakers out there, this one has the most pessimism, cynicism and hostility towards what should be an awesome thing. An established company making what is for them a brand new product. Something that on paper offers something no one else offers.

First, we have no hostility here.

Second, reason why our picture is different is exactly described by the points you wrote about your blog. We are different because we could allow this, many others can't.

As for cynicism, I find it very good approach dealing with any business, be it small company or large one. Business is not art, it is business, so company must follow some rules.

spiritual home amongst those who choose to not play with what the big boys serve up.....

This is just weird phrase. :-) As I said, big guys, small guys, medium guys, does not matter. Product and business approach matters.

I really wish well to BM, and I always supported them.

• Hey, I was the first to come out and slam the cam as "not ready", and took a "I'll wait and see" stance. I'm still waiting and seeing, so far so good. Haven't seen a working cam yet, so still waiting. Haven't got my hands on 12bit RAW footage, so still waiting. Graded some JPGs, they look OK. They're not where I would like them to be, but I've already qualified that in my last post.

I've never seen a company do something new like this and get it completely right out of the gate. I still believe it'll be maybe another year before this camera is something worth shooting on with any seriousness. But I could be wrong. I'd love to have a camera that shoots RAW for less than $10,000. I'd love to have one that shoots ProRes in that same category. When I heard about the cam, I very badly wanted to know more, and see it in action. I went to the event in Burbank, and was severely disappointed. To those who have pre-ordered, I hope you get something you love.

I, and others, will wait. Every time I've been an early adopter I've been burned. And so... I'll wait. And If I get handed one of these to shoot on for a project, I'm sure I'll be back here either praising it as being what it was promised to be, or decrying it as being something considerably less. Everything else (And I've been guilty of it myself) is just mental masturbation.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions