Personal View site logo
PTool v3.66d public beta topic
  • PTool v3.66d public beta released

https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

1. You'll need to download firmware from http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

2. StreamParser by Chris Brandin as help tool to analyse AVCHD streams - https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

Other good idea is also use trial version of Elecard StremEye - http://www.elecard.com/en/download/products.html

3. Remember that Testers section patches are for testers. Use simple bitrate patches.

4. How can I make encoder hold better in low detailed scenes? Use Auto Quantizer patches.

5. How to update firmware:

• Load your camera firmware, see 1. how to get it.
      • Check all necessary patches, Version increment must be always checked.
      • Save firmware. Just change last digit to any number you want.
      • Copy firmware to root of SD card. Fully charge you battery. Do not even attempt to use AC coupler!
      • Power off your camera if it was on.
      • Power on camera. After this press (not hold) green play button.
      • You'll see hourglass and prompt to update.
      • Press down arrow and after this Menu/set.
      • Wait until upgrade will be completed.
    6. How to provide reports in this topic?

• Post here only problems and questions about new patches. For all else we have special topics.
      • Use systematic approach (one-two changes at a time with careful thinking).
      • Shift-Click on round button in PTool to save your particular settings.
      • Attach here settings with detailed observation + MediaInfo screenshot + StreamParser screenshot in case of troubles.

7. Read FAQs at http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

8-999. Reserved.

• 105 Replies sorted by
  • Known Issues

GX1 has problems playing back MP4 files with increased bitrate.

More testing required to spot the cause.

• I tested only PAL mode.

Case 1. Default bitrate for FSH/SH and 1080p MP4 worked fine. In-Camera-Playback (ICP) passed. Video Bitrate FSH/SH=16000000, Video Bitrate 1080p MP4=20000000

Case 2. Raising FSH/SH failed ICP for MP4 file. Video Bitrate FSH/SH=32000000, Video Bitrate 1080p MP4=20000000

Case 3. Raising MP4 bitrate failed ICP for MP4. Video Bitrate FSH/SH=16000000, Video Bitrate 1080p MP4=35000000

Case 4. No FSH/SH bitrate selected. Rasing MP4 passed ICP, but the overall bitrate remained only 20Mbps instead of 35Mbps. Video Bitrate 1080p MP4=35000000

That'll give some idea to those who want to test more to find more clues for VK.

seta.ini
    278B
    setb.ini
    278B
    setc.ini
    278B
    setd.ini
    247B
  • Case 4. No FSH/SH bitrate selected. Rasing MP4 passed ICP, but the overall bitrate remained only 20Mbps instead of 35Mbps. Video Bitrate 1080p MP4=35000000

This case is meaningless, as FSH patch is requires by any other bitrate patches. See tips in PTool.

• I have a suggestion. Just release it as a final patch. At least the default bitrates work. It might seem pointless, but you'd get a lot more testers... almost instantly.

• Case 2. Raising FSH/SH failed ICP for MP4 file. Video Bitrate FSH/SH=32000000, Video Bitrate 1080p MP4=20000000

It is also very very interesting.

• @stonebat

I have a suggestion. Just release it as a final patch

Sorry? What is "final patch" ?

Did you noticed words "public beta" ?

• I meant official version :)

• I meant official version :)

Still do not understand you.

PTool is publically available.

Of course, it is beta, as we need to figure out this MP4 stuff.

• If I modify the setting of audio bitrate for MP4, say from 128Kbps to 192Kbps, GX1 can no longer record the video in MP4 format. It just instantly stops when pressing the recording button. Nothing found in the folder.

Cheers:-)

• I'll test!

• *** NEW *** Driftwood 'GalaXian'. 12/15 GOP

Here's the GX1 cluster variation provisionally entitled 'GalaXian' setting. Everything is souped up to Cluster v6 GH2 levels but set at 56M all round max, Q target is 18. You probably won't reach those dizzy heights. This features the Cluster v6 scaling matrix set on AVCHD modes. I don't think MP4 mode at level 66 baseline uses the scaling matrices as checked in ptools and Streameye Pro confirms this with matrices = n/a (not applicable) in the headers.

There is NO in-camera playback of MP4 modes at present but they look dramatically better than the stock recordings, AVCHD is unaffected and playsback.

Also features superior audio from @thepalalias at 'pasadenapulse.net'.

Test it out and see how you get on. Who knows, one day, we may get the in-camera playback resolved?! For now I continue testing...

UPDATE: In this release PAL works, NTSC may freeze and is being sorted in the next revision.

Driftwood 'Gala~X~ian' . setj.zip
    Driftwood 'Galaxian' GX1 Setting FHD 1080-25p mp4 - Nokton 0 95.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Driftwood 'Galaxian' GX1 Setting FHD 1080-25p mp4 example2 - Nokton 0 95.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Driftwood 'Galaxian' GX1 Setting FHD 1080-25p mp4 example3 - X lens 14-42.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
  • Nick Driftwood, any chance to apply the 'GalaXian' settings to G3 ? I'm a relative newbie to hacking, but a Driftwood patch for the G3 is what i was hoping for.

• I'm posting my working settings here too, in case G3 topic will move down in the list :) Based on driftwood's GalaXian settings. Edit: found an issue so use uewer sete.ini

sete.ini
    sete.ini
  • I don't seem to see an option to enable manual mode for any of the firmwares I've loaded into PTool. Am I missing something?

Otherwise everything works fine, with the above caveats (MP4 playback, etc)

EDIT: Apologies, just read the G3 hack forum and understand now.

• This setting is based on Cbrandin"32M" for FSH mode. Not so high bitrate but It works perfectly on GX1 and in-camera-playback of MP4 is passed.

I tested it with NTSC video.

setb.ini
    624B
  • Hi..i´m new at this forum..i have a G3 and did the firmwareupdate with mr JOFO ´S settings ,the camera did update but the version number still says 1.2..(i did download and install the latest panasonic firmware on the camera 1.2 about 4 weeks ago) how do i know that my new firmware that i named 1.3 is on my camera?..everything looks like it done before...

• @woolhats

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

Plus we have few topics with beginners in the topic title.

• Ok..thanks

• The updated firmware with Jofo´s latest patch is working ok..but the camera still says version1.2..but i dont mind..as a newbie i´m glad that I manage to do it..thank you all

• Where can I find PTool v3.65d?, I'm still using v3.64d '200212'. What's new in v.3.66d beta?

• @mjfeliciano here are the changes, also on the first post :)

and the downloads are here: https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

• MP4 is GX1-only, is that right? :)

• Hello, any simple instructions to change my Lumix GX1X japanese menu into a spanish one? Thanks (I'm quite amateur in that)

• Download latest firmware from panasonic. Download PTool v3.66d, load firmware, open Patches for end users -> Interface and check All Interface Languages. Save firmware and name it e.g. GX1___14.bin copy to SD card and update firmware normal way (power up camera, press Play button and confirm update). After update you will be able to change language to whatever you need...