Personal View site logo
Boycott the Batman: Nolan’s Chaotic, Clunky Propaganda Machine - by Scott Creighton
  • QUOTE: "While driving along, I chanced upon a curious ending to a segment on National Petrolium Radio this afternoon. They were closing a discussion of Christopher Nolan’s latest and last Batman offering, The Dark Knight Rises. What I gathered from the few moments of the chat was that they had been discussing the propaganda aspect of the film: meaning Nolan’s less than transparent promoting of support of the Global War on Terror™. Seems like they were debating whether or not it was offensive propaganda targeting the Occupy Movement or if it was just good clean wholesome fun..." - Follow link to read more... http://willyloman.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/boycott-the-batman-nolans-chaotic-clunky-propaganda-machine/

I saw it last night and I couldn't agree more. Nothing but blatant establishment propaganda.

• 21 Replies sorted by
  • Topic CAN NOT consist of single link.

Provide contents and facts, in your own words, if you want, and only supply link so people could follow if interested.

• The Dark Knight Rises Shooting Aurora

• I don't mind a well-founded conspiracy theory, but in this case i'm just going to watch Batman for what it really is: a blockbuster movie. Whether it's a good film or a bad one, is debatable. Whether it's a product of the corporate state to make us believe we need protection from terrorists: isn't every fucking Hollywood apocalyptic blockbuster from the last 20 years? The only reason i write here it this : if you really want to make a difference, i suggest you go out in the streets and protest, instead of wasting your valuable time discussing futile theories, which lead to nothing productive.

• I'd say avoid it cuz it fucking sucked. Lazy predictable shit-ass filmmaking. Nolan is indeed falible...

• Why does the ending always involve a fucking bomb with a fucking timer?!! Can't these writers think up something different?

@johnnym So how's your protesting coming along?

• Dunno about any conspiracy theories, but this whole series has been overrated and quite a bore actually.

• I saw some of what Alex (tin-foil hat) Jones had to say about it. You could take a look at every film that has been released and say that it contains propaganda if you looked hard enough.

http://www.infowars.com/warner-bros-censors-critical-review-of-dark-knight-rises/

• Yeah, you would have to boycott most movies. Personally, i just watch movies for entertainment and don't take it seriously. I plan on at least renting the movie.

• Nolan has made only two good movies in my opinion. Memento and the Prestige. The rest. Dull pretentious and quite frankly boring garbage that is in dire need of a good editor.

Many filmgoers are so desperate for the next "Master" hollywood filmmaker is the reason Nolan is highly regarded.

As for the shooting. Terrible.

• It is good to remember marketing basics. And bad PR is also PR. So, any public boycottes will lead to more viewers.

• Maybe the blogger should actually SEE the movie before he mouths off about it.

• Not to mention that the movie got shot up in Colorado and 14 people killed. I can't see paying for a ticket to get shot. Correction, looks like 16 dead now.

• I thought it was pretty entertaining overall. Worth seeing in theaters because they really did a great job of making it "s spectacle". But... I was hoping it would dive more into the philosophically of the series, and yet it came up shortest of them all in that regard. I was left at the end wondering why I should give any shit at all about "the people" of Gotham that batman is sworn, somewhere, to protect. If anything, I felt like the League of Shadows was more logical in their plans, since they've proven time and time again that "the people" in this city are either corrupt, or animals. Never once did they redeem themselves... or give any reason to be saved besides, "hey, they're 'the people', you just got to save them". A bit ham-fisted here.

In terms of filmaking though I think this confirms my long-running suspicion that Nolan is a bit overrated. His comedic sense is non-existent, and the dialog was cringe inducing in some areas... almost "memento" bad... and that movie was garbage. There was also no further character exploration here... didn't give a crap about Levitt's character (don't even remember his name) or Cat women. And all they dove into with Wayne was... "you need to fear death again"... really really shallow stuff here. It's get's a B overall.

Many filmgoers are so desperate for the next "Master" hollywood filmmaker is the reason Nolan is highly regarded.

Yea, I think this is the case. Memento was pointless garbage and film-making masturbation and Inception was swedo-intellectual at best. His movies never seem to have any sense of structure either... they all play as one long run-on 2nd act. Dialog is usually hammy as well. The two best things about his films are Wally Pfister and Hans Zimmer... and they ain't him. I think he does a better job at making you think his movies are good... than actually making them good. I always come out of the theater thinking, "Wow that was pretty good. no... wait... no it wasn't. Son of a bitch, Nolan."

• 2000 Memento
    2002 Insomnia
    2005 Batman Begins
    2006 The Prestige
    2008 The Dark Knight

2010 Inception

2012 The Dark Knight Rises

ALL movies that are critically and commercially successful. SO OVERATED....? GARBAGE? Seems like a lot of people on forums either are very jealous or just not capable of understanding art/entertainment, and therefore need to post on forums how bad and garbage-like some films are, while the masses and critics must be just WRONG or silly..

Show me something anyone has done that has any project quality in the same realm. Like come on guys, give up the contrarian nature you love to have sometimes. Its ok to be popular and artistic... just because a lot people like something doesn't make it trash.

I saw the dark knight rises last night, while not as good as dark knight, still big budget film-making at its very best. It had some pacing issues, and some plot issues but overall an almost impossible task of being better than the dark knight.

• Hey, I like Nolan... I just don't think he's "the master" that people make him out to be. His movies are just always paraded as deep and intellectual when they're really not at all. Inception complicated? Where? That movie had a plot that an 8-year old could fallow. No where near as "mind-blowing" or well executed as something like The Matrix (which might be the most perfect sci-fi action film ever made). And Memento... yea it was interesting... but what was the point? It was setting up for this huge twist or reveal at the end... and then... nothing? Lame. The Prestige? I actually thought that was pretty good, might be my favorite of his besides Batman Begins (the best of the series IMO)

So, Christopher Nolan is good, I'm not saying he's a hack. But allot of it have to do with Mr. Pfisters classic, yet modern visuals and the tone set by Hans Zimmer's amazing scores. The "spectacle" and atmosphere's he creates are really good... but the scripts, philosophy, and structure seem to always come up short.

• @bwhitz Nolan is not my favorite director either. He doesn't evoke enough emotional resonance for me. I would agree that he doesn't make you feel enough, but all movies don't have to be the same thing, or have the same goals. It is still a master at shot choice, and story telling, which is what filmmaking is at its technical core.

My favorite filmmakers are Ridley Scott, Martin Scorsese, Alfonso Cuaron, and of old David Lean, George Lucas (as creator, not so much director), Coppola. All very different methods of making good films, but none-the-less masters of their own crafts, or the way they make movies. I prefer visual mood creation, and a deep connection to character. Whether its through the visual style, or through plot.

I think Nolan's weakest point is emotional resonance, but what he lacks there he makes up for in visual style, and spectacle, and imaginitive stories with huge scale. I love the scale of his work.

• Inception was swedo-intellectual at best.

What does that mean? A film that pays homage to Ingmar Bergman films? Or perhaps has excessive Ikea product placement?

• This thread started at an unfortunate time, before the Colorado tragedy. I feel that out of respect for victims and their families it would be decent to observe some sort of moratorium here.

• Honestly, I don't get what all the fuss is about. I think he's a perfectly fine director and I like pretty much all his movies. I also don't go around digging into movies looking for ulterior motives or agendas either, that's a sign of someone who already has ulterior motives and agendas themselves.

• The best movie that Christopher Nolan ever made was "The Following" (1998) for just £6,000. The rest have been progressively overrated as the budgets increased. But Wally Pfister is an incredible cinematographer nonetheless.

• One last time, please resist acting like it's business as usual.

Not now.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions