Personal View site logo
Micro Four Thirds DOF Chart of Doom
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • @VK isn't there the rule that given enough time 'every' thread on any forum will eventually turn into either a Flame war and/or an argument based on Nazi's?

I even think there is a term for this phenomenon.

• isn't there the rule that given enough time 'every' thread on any forum will eventually turn into either a Flame war and/or an argument based on Nazi's?

Nope.

• Ok... Maybe just the Nazi thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

If anything the below chart sums up 'trash talk flame war' cause.

chart.jpg
    600 x 664 - 270K
  • @alcomposer

OK, I got it. You work hard to proof this "law" :-)

• @alcomposer lol. Actually, now that you have mentioned the nazis, I have to confess that it was the mustached guy himself that once visited me in a dream and explained to me that all this "normal lens" and "z axis distortion" talk was part of a Zionist conspiracy. ;)

• Ok, I'll try to end this unlucky thread with some useful information :-)

@balazer, you write "Video resolutions will have greater depth of field" [than stills]. Well, that was my assumption as well, that's why I had been using a wider CoC than the 15 micron one normally recommended for stills on the GH2. But this morning I finally found the time to shoot some tests to determine the CoC I had to use for 1080 video shot with my GH2 and to my extreme surprise I found out that the suggested value for stills, that is 15 microns, still holds for video (my tests were not extremely accurate as my Leica Disto is out of the country with a friend, so it might be 14.5 or 15.5 micron, but that's more than enough precision for me). Now, I don't know about 720 or about other cameras, and I'm still surprised by the result, but I guess I'll have to dial back my DoF calculator to 15 micron.

• All poppycock.

I have always carried around my Eastman hyperfocal distance chart (yellow, plastic credit-card-size) - essential when you have to shoot wild and no assistant to pull focus. All I need.

A Normal lens is an arbitrary reference point so you can talk about lenses ("give me a wide" takes on a meaning).

Amazing how - apart from comparing modern lenses - we manage to re-invent a 3,000-year-old old wheel.