Personal View site logo
24mm F1.4 T1.5 Samyang Rokinon official topic
  • 119 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat good to know, it looks like an amazing lens

• So what bayonet do you suggest ? Canon or Nikon with adapter to MFT ?

• If you go Nikon it will focus opposite to everybody else, so I'd vote for Canon if you are not used to Nikon.

• Wow, these Koreans got it right again. What I love most from my 85mm, the beautiful Bokeh, is here as well – and that's rare for a wide lens. If the reviewer writes. "Wide open performance for this lens is a tad bit disappointing considering that I’ve shot with many other lenses wide open and they were much sharper. … With that said, it’s good, but it can and should be much better." he doesn't get it, IMHO, if he later states: "Wide open though, the bokeh looks absolutely wonderful and incredibly film-like."

All the lenses which are super sharp wide open have an ugly Bokeh, as far as my experience goes (and I've been in photography for quite a while). It's connected with spherical correction.

I'm very grateful that Samyang had the guts to go manual in this auto-everything world and is trying to achieve the right balance between sharpness and OOF quality. They are more and more becoming the poor man's Leicas in a world where all others are just counting lines per mm. I wish them all the success they deserve.

I only wish for a GH2 with a larger sensor now ;-)

• I think lenstip got a bad copy of the lens.

• A new review by ePhotozine: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-24mm-f-1-4-ed-as-if-umc-lens-review-19623

Pros: Samyang crisp look @ 24mm, 25cm min. focus, F1.4, huge manual focus barrel, step-less aperture version.

Cons: Soft wide open but usable, F2.8 is much better. 3 stop vignetting wide open but if we use the lens on M4/3 these problems are negligible as we are using the sweet centre :)

Personally I want to finish of my set of Samyang 35mm, 85mm + CZ 50mm 1.7 with this last wide angle. But I will wait to see if they make any improvements to the lenses in the coming months' cine versions.

• How's the breathing problem with this lens? Anything like the 35? I've read the 85 is much better than the 35 so I'm praying that this one is better!

• I took delivery of the 24 and 85 yesterday and am very pleased. Excellent construction, optics, and everything is working great. The 85 has a noticeably tighter focus than the 24, almost too tight, but it will probably loosen up a hair over time.

I got the Nikon versions so I could use them alongside my existing Nikkors on my 5D, 7D, GH1, and the D800 and GH2 I will be using next month. My only disappointment with the entire affair was that even Cinevate and Novoflex EOS to Nikon adapters had significant play on both lesnes, but some screwdriver work on the adapters and a tiny touch of gaffers tape has fixed that, and everything feels rock solid.

As a side note, I seem to be able to focus better on a 5D focusing screen if I don't have my Z-finder on and am snapping stills with these Rokinons than I can with old Nikkors...not sure why that is, yet.

• @kellar42

So the breathing is ok on these puppies? The 85 is in route right now and the 24 soon. My 35 breaths like crazy on both the Nikon and Canon mount versions. Worse than any lens I have.

• I'm not seeing it on the 85mm, haven't used the 24mm as much yet.

• Amazon has a very nice deal on these right now in Four Thirds (not µFT, but can be adapted easily). The 14mm too, seems they are selling these out – who is filming with a Four Thirds anyway?

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008U7GTAA/

• Samyang 24mm measured at DXOMark

nikon_v26.jpg
    394 x 470 - 34K
  • I would like to buy a cine lens Samyang 24mm T1.5 ED AS IF UMC (nikon mount) for my GH4.

someone could tell me if there are problems with SpeedBooster metabones nikon g to MTF ?

thx

• I use exactly that lens vis RJ speed boost to GH2 no prob. Are you maybe referring to the len's Nikon active pin in some way?

• @goanna thx mate , yes also about aperture pin , do you have a cine version? how about the quality of this lens?

I got 17,5mm voightlander that become a 40,2mm on 4K 2.3x crop mode on the GH4 . The Samyang 24mm with a speedbooster become a 38,5mm on 4K 2.3x crop mode on the GH4
    I wanted to know if you think it was worth buying it

sorry my English : )

• @valpopando Yes, I have the cine/Nikon version of the 24mm. I'm happy with the image quality - I really should make some time to compare the Samyang 24 with the Voigtlander 25.

All in all, these fast Samyangs compare very well, value-wise, with most lenses 2 or 3 times their cost - so it's a bit of a no-brainer for anybody not scared of manual focus or breathing issues.

• The aperture pin of the Samyang does indeed hand over its iris control to the RJ adapter, meaning smooth aperture control even with the non-cine version.

BTW, see statistical-only comparison with the Nokton 25 at

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=samyang_24_1p4&products=voigtlander_25_0p95_m43

• @goanna Thx a lot .

At this point I really think to buy it. then I also have the advantage to use it on my Nikon D610 do you have any videos on GH2?

• I have to say this lens is quite soft wide open, so not usable for me at 1.5, starts getting sharp at f2 and up. This contrary to the 85mm wich is sharp wide open. Doesn't seem my copy of the lens as i have read more people having them soft. Actually I might sell it...

• Well here ya go, Comparison of the two with no attempt to make the Samyang look pretty. Hell, nobody ever says to open it wide up like this. Sorry, my only Samyang->M4/3 adapter at present is the RJ booster so a full FOV comparison is a whole Chinese 10 days away.* Also excuse text error: the Nokton is f.0.95 and without and RJ booster (of course)!

("10 *rubber days" started on 28th January - but that's a whole 'nother story).

Nokton.JPG
    2488 x 1400 - 533K
    SamyangNokton.JPG
    2488 x 1400 - 492K
  • Wow thx @goanna are those still frame from movie? if the adapter used isn't the metabones but the chip one ( RJ booster ) the quality of samyang at full aperture looks good