Personal View site logo
Converting Zeiss Jena Biotar 25mm f/1.4 to M4/3
  • I found a Zeiss Jena Biotar 25mm f/1.4 lens for relatively cheap, so I asked the seller what type of mount it was and he replied with, "Pentaflex". I've tried searching numerous forums and google about this style of mount and there really isn't very much information. I was wondering if anyone knew if the seller just made a mistake and it's actually M42 or if Pentaflex is a real mount. If Pentaflex is an accurate description for the mount on this lens, is it adaptable to M4/3?

Thank you in advance for any help.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • @rsg2033 Pentaflex appears to be the camera brand with a M42 lens mount.

Here's a Pentaflex manual in which the lens mount is specified as being M42.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/praktica_pdf/pentacon_pentaflex_sl.pdf

M42 > M4/3rd's lens adapters are readily available for the GH2 and cheap so you should not have a problem fitting the Biotar.

• thanks pundit, I've been looking forever to try and find out about these lenses.

• Pundit is wrong!

Pentaflex mount isn't M-42 ...it is a movie camera mount, very close to the arriflex PL mount.

• @bubba Apologies. It looks like I stand corrected!

Here indeed is a Jena Biotar with a Pentaflex mount...

I PM'd @rsg2033 to tell him to re-check this post.

I think maybe I should stick to commenting on still photography gear and leave the film/video gear talk to the experts! ;>)

140.jpg
    137 x 140 - 7K
  • @pundit You're OK, Thanks for trying to be helpful :-)

• @bubba, do you know what type of adapter would be needed to adapt the pentaflex mount for m4/3?

• Don't think there is a Pentaflex to M43 mount. But you may be able to get a cheap $10-15 Canon FD/M43 adapters on ebay and modify it to fit the Pentaflex lens. Some Zeiss Jena biotars were C-mount.

• @jleo gotchya. I've got an fd to m4/3 I don't think that'll work based on the photo of the lens.

• @rsg2033 hmmm, seems like this guy was able to fit an old pentaflex lens to m4/3 with an adapter. You might want to contact him and ask for a link.

• @strancali We're back to the same confusion once more.

There appears to be a Pentaflex Cine Camera Mount not to be confused with a Pentaflex lens/Still Camera with a M42 mount... apparently two different things.

QUOTE: "I also used an old pentaflex 50mm lens with a m42 to m4/3 adapter."

Adapting a Pentaflex M42 lens to M4/3rd's is not a problem.

Adapting a Pentaflex Cine Camera mount is.

Yes it's confusing and has caught out more than a few people I'm sure... me included!

• @pundit yea I see your point, I better leave this one alone lol

• Yeah this is a tough one. The seller isn't really helpful. I think there's a language barrier.

• @rsg2033 Can you get him to supply a detailed picture showing the lens coupling? I don't know exactly what a Pentaflex Cine Mount looks like but a M42 should be fairly obvious in a photo.