Personal View site logo
Total disaster, reports from the weddings front
  • 108 Replies sorted by
  • @tonalt It's a dirty job, but someone got to put the GH2 to test on other things than bushes :-)

• Thanks for sharing your experience. Now I'm 100% sure I won't shoot wedding ever.

• @MRfanny LOL! I Interviewed all the relatives, but forgot the father of the bride (who was the one paying for the gig)

• don't worry, photoshop can fix it all up =) Funny stories by the way.

I was asked to help man a camera for a wedding and i didnt know who the groom was so i cut him in half for most of the ceremony. Forgot to switch the mic back on whilst filming a toast too.

• Never do a highlight edit at 4 o'clock in the night and have a shoot the next day. You need those Z:s. Being sleepy on a shoot is disastrous and you barely keep up with the events. And drugs make those shaky shots even worse ;) itching with caffeine coming out of my ears I actually saw the wedding at first in post!

• Setting up my Konova slider in the last minute before the couples dance took ages. Quick release went AWOL and I just had to go handheld shake-a-thon instead. So much for that beatypass :( Don't waste time on screwing stuff together and miss that important shot. Use the same quick release on everything. Get your gear ready in time. Assemble that slider way before the shot. Know your bag inside out and always put stuff back in the same place.

• The guests always have a nasty habit of getting in the way and you NEED that cut away to save the edit. Use MORE cameras. As a solo shooter with bad planning skills I bring at least three. Two on sticks with photo ball head for quick leveling and a third on a monopod with fluid head.

• I recently got stuck on a tripod with a zoom lens behind this huge arch of flowers and missed the bride and father walking down the isle when the traditional European wedding turned out to be American and I thought my B-cam would cover the couples entry from behind. To make matters worse, one of the guests knocked my B-cam sideways, totally obscuring the isle. Result: I only got the face of the father. The couple was hidden behind the flower arch from hell. Always ask HOW the wedding will unfold.