Personal View site logo
Film Grain Overlays . . . a trick for getting better 4K with anamorphic from your 1080p camera?
  • 45 Replies sorted by
  • @B3Guy the best you'll get out of the GH2 at 2.39 anamorphic is 2.5k. 2x anamorphic will obviously soften up the image, which isn't that bad on the GH2 as its already so sharp. Using a 1.33-1.5x anamorphic will sacrifice less resolution/sharpness.

These techniques in this thread are really interesting though, so I'll be doing some testing myself.

• Yeah, like I said, I'll probably keep 90% of my stuff at 1080 vertical. Try this stuff out and let me know. I myself have pretty limited resources (old software and obviously no 4K display), so I'm limited to evaluating the quality by watching a zone of footage, zoomed in to 100%. But it works pretty good I think, even up to 4K.

And really, let's be honest. Tack-sharp clinical 4K footage is a certain look. Most stuff looks great a bit softer. That's kinda what this does. It upgrades your footage from "stretched 1080p" to "dreamy 4K".

a side note, this method works so well thanks to the ever-wonderfu work of Vitaliy Kiselev, Driftwood and others who give our GH2s the ability to resolve all that detail. I have a hard time immersing myself in anamorphic footage from other DSLR cameras because so many of them really don't resolve anywhere near full 1080p, and the stretching of the footage only makes all that garbly garbage worse. So thanks to the hard workers here at P-View, and maybe some users of other cameras can pick this up and use it as well, 'cause they need all the help they can get canon . . . cough ;)

• @robmneilson, that's just brilliant!! Well done. It's looks amazing on an HDTV and that's just at 720p! I need to figure out how to do this.

• Thank you sir, it's simple Lomo anamorphics plus GH2. I did get VERY lucky with the weather however. It rained for days before and was overcast when we shot. So everything was very green, and I was able to get good dynamic range in the frame. I lit everything with a small battery belt powered HMI sun gun and bounce boards.

• Here is the png I used for my basic test. I'll let you know as I collect more of them. I'm boing to try and track them down and make a collection. http://byscuits.com/grain-tm400.png

• @robmneilson , amazing quality ...

• +1 @feha @robmneilson awesome

Btw Re: "I lit everything with a small battery belt powered HMI sun gun" -> Do you have a link for this light?

• @sistercities I can't remember which model, but it was either a 125w or 200w pocket par. I'd imagine that I would have gone for the 200w if I had the choice, but the rental house might have not had one.

http://www.adorama.com/AR501300.html?gclid=CPfV3sK06bACFQKEnQodJRc9_Q

Pretty much can get one for about $200/day plus the cost of extra battery belts.

• Hi Everybody,

I think this is a pretty interesting thread. I've been doing tests using the instructions @Macalincag 's so generously provided. Looks great to me! ...I also just received a newsletter email from the GorillaGrain people today advertising a new grain product for stills photography:

http://grainsnap.com/store/

Looks like you get several 3K tiffs (iso100-6400) for $49.

There was also a discount code in the email (305WOOT) that's supposed to drop the price another 25% if you use it in the next 2-3 days.

You guys think these stills can be used with the method Macalincag shared?

...and couldn't we get the same effect of having several different iso's simply by adjusting the contrast or opacity of 1 grain scan in overlay?

• @Wilbo

You guys think these stills can be used with the method Macalincag shared?

Sure. After all, the method I've suggested stems from a still image. The larger the original resolution, the finer the grain is as well (once down-scaled). So the 3k tiffs you've mentioned should look pretty "fine" once scaled down to HD (if fine is what you're after).

and couldn't we get the same effect of having several different iso's simply by adjusting the contrast or opacity of 1 grain scan in overlay?

Not so much as different ISOs have different characteristics, ranging from fine to coarse. Adjusting the contrast, etc., though, allows you to decide how subtle or harsh the the grain will be.

On the contrary, you can crop to HD out of the high resolution images if you want your grain to look coarser. The looks entirely up to you and you should experiment to which you like best.

• I would suggest either native (keep image at 100% size and sample different parts of it each frame), or a simple reduction like 50%, 25%, etc. so that there isn't funky downsampling going on.

• sample different parts of it each frame

That's a good idea too. You can also flip and invert them too! Then you'll have yourself an image sequence in no time.

• Been there, done that, works great. No need for expensive ProRes grain files. The only thing it doesn't work with is dirt/dust. The same piece of dust, even in different locations, is painfully recognizable and very distracting. That being said, who wants dirty footage anyhow? Most of the time, dirt and dust looks cheesy.

• Thanks for the follow up @Macalincag ! I think I may jump on this deal soon.

• @Macalincag:

I tried your free AE alternative. It worked out nice. But I'm not sure I did it right... Is it supposed to just wiggle back and forth a tad bit diagonally. It looks good but I notice a speck of white from the original .png file. It gets annoying when you see it. It jumps back and forth. He he ;)

Did I do something wrong you think? Is it supposed to move more randomly?

• @kanintesova

If you are seeing the same pattern maybe you should randomize it more. Of course you can use other grain plates as well if you find them that don't have any white specs. If done the way I suggested you shouldn't see anything once overlayed onto your footage (don't forget to adjust contrast to taste).

• @robmneilson Absolutely stunning, your work! I try not to think of the amount of work that went into it. Just perfect. I hope you'll have better results with Instant HD than I. I tried their demo and it didn't give me any better result over upscaling in AE itself.

• @shian you're killing me, man! sooo wish I had AE and GHears right now. I might have to go the subscription route.

• @johnnym thanks man, wish I was shooting lots more narrative stuff lately...but I'd prefer to work as a DP and let other productions spend the money, as opposed to making/funding my own stuff!