Personal View site logo
GoPro ProTune 35mbps RELEASED + App + now HD3
  • 177 Replies sorted by
  • GH2 ... Lol seriously. Shoot 60p, slow down half by dropping onto a 30p timeline render out. Reimport on a 30p timeline and slowdown further with Twixtor or Optical Motion.

The 60 to 30 process before Twixtor gives smoother results in the final slowmo.

• It's not a bad little camera - 1080p is fine for web stuff but blow up the image and you'll see it's not really resolving a lot of lines. A good B camera and the killer feature is the super wide angle lens when shooting the inside of a vehicle.

I am using one with a Arduino as a car dash cam via the data port, nice feature as you can control some if its feature via a dock connector like plug. Still will not do recycle recording.

I've used it to record long form events such as a 4 hour class a buddy was doing, great B-camera, audio with the provided enclose is unusable / very muffled.

• @AfricaGH2

Can you tell me more about what you're getting the Arduino to do? (Shields, any custom libraries?)

• Every time I see this topic bubble up in the site, I get excited and instantly check the GoPro site to see if the ProTune update has been released.

• Haha, yes might be a little delayed, Gopro have some other issues with Wifi bacpac at the moment, some hardware, some firmware and some user issues. Plus they still have to deliver on the streaming part of the deal yet. The company is separated into different divisions now so possibly one doesn't affect the other, however there are at least 50 jobs open in their career available listing, mostly engineers. http://gopro.com/careers/

BTW @ROBERTO, you have a PM re; Aruino

• @subco, the screenshots are genuine, I got them off GoPros head editor who confirmed the clean one was shot with a ProTune beta FW.

• Sorry to anyone who opens this thread expecting good news - I'm just wondering if anyone has heard any updates about when this is coming? It's weirdly difficult to find information about this on the internet past the initial stories from NAB. What is going on? Summer's almost over!

• @Oedipax - Great, you made me look again!

I periodically check on this, too, but keep finding nothing but those same initial stories. Yep, pretty frustrating but I guess it'll be released when it's released.

• Last I heard was a week or so ago and now they're saying this fall. Rambo's the resident expert on GoPro.

• We're all still waiting. I didn't have time to catch up with GoPro personally this year at San Fran, but I know they are very understaffed at the moment, especially software engineering wise. All part of the growing pains of a company trying to keep up with it's popularity. 95% of GOpRo users will not even use or have a use for ProTune, it's really only of benefit to Filmmakers, broadcasters etc not your weekend sports action warrior sharing spills with his mates.

Personally I would fix the jello before doing anything else, all the shots on the big networks are horrible and I suspect the only reason they use GOpro is for the 170 wide angle and size. Most of the time a CCD based p&s would have done a better job.

Bring on the HD3 all new, slim line all in one no backbak GOpro and I'll be happy chappy.

• Many other companies are coming on this market with something slimmer and a back screen. Dunno about the quality, but GoPro is no more alone...

• @rambo People seem to get pretty pissed off at GoPro at the moment (see DVinfo). They shipped the WiFi backpack without the connectivity apps which is not cool http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/wi-fi-bacpac/ (which are also coming in fall according to their website) -- so they are delivering half-finished products. They also fail to deliver on promises they made earlier. As @bechou mentioned, many companies are entering this arena now so I guess we'll soon have better alternatives available.

Can't wait for the ProTune FW update. The Hero 2 could use a IQ boost.

• Yep all that, but people are still buying them.

BTW, the issues are exaggerated somewhat as people mostly seek out forums to complain not praise, we have threads of pissed off people on our forum, but lot's are user issues and incompatibility issues with various operating systems and anti virus software. The streaming App was never promised to be shipped with the remote, it was always going to be an upgrade, a free one. However, it was a huge mistake to have it printed on the retail boxes of the wifi bacpac, people grab them off the shelves thinking everything comes with it.

I'm not defending them, but as Admin of the forum i get to see what the real issues are.

What is amazing is they still have 95% of the market and VC companies and banks are still throwing money at them.

• @rambo Good to hear. I like GoPro a lot so I hope they can get their act together. And I still think it was stupid to ship the WiFi backpack without the app. They should have just waited till the app was done. At least now they have to work very hard to correct their mistakes. I hope we'll see both updates soon!

• I really like GoPro too, now considering all the comers i am waiting for more than a grading software.. I hope to see a real improvement with the next GoPro cam, or i ll try a CamOne.

• As @Rambo knows, I love the little things. I've also sold a majority of mine now and am just keeping a few because I simply don't know where this is going.

The bottom line is they won't replace other cameras now or in the foreseeable future, but they still do what they do well.

I wasn't impressed with the battery back or the WiFi back so they have a little catching up to do, but they still get respectable video in good light, have the best mounting systems in the business and hold up well (at least for me). Cineform is a sad joke (IMO) and they should keep quiet about firmware upgrades until they're sure they can do it......but otherwise, they are GOOD POV's.

I can wait!

• @Rambo I want GoPro HD Hero 3, too!!!

• wow i might actually get one of these.

id reallly like to see comparison between Gh2 and new GoPro

• @jclmedia id reallly like to see comparison between Gh2 and new GoPro

There isn't any.

• +1. Pointless comparison.

• I use the GoPro2 cam for sea/sailing/surfing etc... - this will go someway to help sort out the macroblocking problems we've experienced in grading some of the shots on my latest short 'Swim to Land'.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Looks good but I'd like to see something done by someone that doesn't have an entire post production team.

• Any info on when they going to release the ProTune FW update?

• Seems they're on 'Valve time' - i.e. "When it's done."