Personal View site logo
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • looks like a great lens.

I did spot some aliasing (or maybe i meant moire?) in some of the clips though, I thought that was something the gh2 didnt have? IT was specifically in the horizontal lines. (like the grating at 1:26)

• The GH2 is not supposed to be without any moiré. It has more resolution lines that others (like its Canon rivals), which significantly reduces moiré, but doesn't eliminate it, because the root cause is still present : using an electronic captor. And quite possibly, the sharper the lens, the more moiré you can have. (And GH2's reputation was built on less sharp lenses, like the kit lenses or the pancakes. The arrival of super sharp lenses reveals the flaw. For example, the panasonic 25mm f/1.4 is said to be one of the sharpest lenses ever, and i also found moiré while using it).

• Very sharp AND nice bokeh – a rare combination. Looks like a winner!

• I saw on some reviews that front element rotates while zooming ? This is not good if the filter thread rotates too ?! Can anyone confirm this ?

• @feha The front element does not rotate. :-)

• @bkmcwd of cause it doesn't! But the Cameraman himself sometimes rotates around the ND filter fader...

• @gameb

"front element rotates while zooming"

Is this about fader ND? I thought that he cared about whether the foremost part of the lens turns. :-)

• @bkmcwd today is not april 1st but June 26th LOL

• "This is not good if the filter thread rotates too ?" @gameb , LOL , so i wanted to know for sure ... On the video it seams the front text on the lens was rotating while zooming ...

The video above made me think so, but then i see he does rotate the lens body too :-) Ah, my bad observation ...

• Great looking lens! Think I'll get this instead of the Voigtlander 17.5mm.

• @Feha Good observation :-)

• @bobw

Sorry?

This review link is present in top topic post, as well as preorder link for UK.

• Luminous Landscape has a review of this Panasonic lens compared to the excellent Olympus 12-60mm.

• This lens is not parfocal. I asked a friend to test it.

• @stonebat

Btw, it could become parfocal :-) Via firmware.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev that would be a huge thing :) do you speak in terms of panasonic implementing it, or do you see a potential for investigating it?

• Sure it could... I mean all of m43 zooms could... in a million years.

• Hi everybody,

I've just tested my new Panasonic 12-35mm and I'd like to share with you some things I didn't like about this lens...

The good points are for video-shooters:

1. yes, it's very sharp.
    2. light in weight.
    3. nice bokeh.

But, since most of us here on Personal-View are interested in video/cinema shooting, there are several things you won't like about this lens:

1. it has some breathing - but it's not a problem, I suppose.
    2. while you zoom in/out during shooting a video you clearly see some "small' change in the scene in terms of lighting. The light changes a little bit but then (almost instantly) it goes back to the initial condition.

This effect reminds me the same thing when you zoom in/out using a non-constant aperture lens. Of course, this effect is not that huge but you'll notice. Unfortinately I can't upload a file for you to see it but trust me, this lens has it.

@bkmcwd, I would appreciate if you could confirm my words, since you do have the same lens already.

• Unfortinately I can't upload a file for you to see it but trust me, this lens has it.

This is quite bad sign.

• We may need to treat it as a variable prime then, but it's not the fastest lens compared to real ones…

• @Mikhailk

"I would appreciate if you could confirm my words, since you do have the same lens already."

Yes, I also noticed the effect. Although I do not know how it should explain in English, brightness changes in step with a sound of an iris(?) operation.

• @bkmcwd,

Thanks a lot for the confirmation. I also forgot to say that this effect (brightness changes in step) comes with a sound, as you said.

I don't know about you or others who have this lens, but I'm very disappointed 'cause this lens is not a cheap one.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev, yes, it's a bad sign. Those who wanna have a true "cinematic" zooming (without the brightness change) while shooting a movie/video, may forget about this lens.

• Those who wanna have a true "cinematic" zooming (without the brightness change) while shooting a movie/video, may forget about this lens.

This thing needs carefully testing to understand why this happens.
    As issue can be just with lens firmware error. It tries to keep F number during zooming, but fail to do it properly. So, it can be non-constant F number zoom with electronic adjustment.