Personal View site logo
35mm F1.4 Samyang or Rokinon Prime Lens
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • @alcomposer Yes, in the Video Friendly Lenses thread, I listed focus breathing as "Constant Field of View" (in order to make "yes" a positive rating). Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/p1

• Just saw this on Facebook Rokinon group: Introducing THE new Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens

Looks to have gears for focus and iris!

rokinon-35mm-cine.jpg
    720 x 561 - 36K
  • Wow, I hope it wont be a lot more expensive. This looks really nice!

• I just realized when I focus quickly with mine it sounds a little rough. Nothing crazy but not at all smooth when it's racked at a normal rate. Anyone else out there experience this?

• I did. It had some play, too. So I returned it.

• @stonebat

Damn! I really don't know if I even tested it with a fast focus till now. I'm one week over Amazons return policy and contacted Rokinon. They said they'd be happy to replace it with a new unit if it's not defective but I have to pay to ship it back and inclose a $15 check so they can mail me a replacement. I think that kinda sucks for a 5 week old lens that's barely been used twice. Not so sure about the company now but damn, when you get a good one they are great for the money! Lesson learned I guess.

• The 35mm cine variation if it follows the pricing of the 8mm cine will be $50 more

• @vicharris Sorry to hear that. There's no other way. On the day 1, test. On the day 2, test. And so on.

• @kavadni That's quite good price for the mods.

• BTW 35mm focal length on Gh2 is great for medium close up shot.

• I think they will put up 24mm Cine version too, I am waiting for. I messaged the FB Samyang Asia page and got reply for July-September timeframe.

• Perfect timing, I am going to commit to these unless something better comes up before now and BMD Cine Camera day

• @stonebat, yes indeed a great price, I am committing .. I just ordered a canon to m4/3 adapter. Am getting a bowen without any iris crap from bhphoto.

• @kavadni

You're going to need one with a tripod mount. I tired one like the bower and when you use a FF, it moves the whole camera and lens. Tried 3 different types. These lens are just too large for the GH2. I finally bought a $22 tripod mount one on ebay and it sits like a tank now! Don't waste your money on that expensive one. I'll find the link and PM you with it. Just ordered a Nikon one just like it too for the Tokina 11-16.

• This looks like a really interesting lens. Up till now, my favorite 35mm is an older 35/1.4 Nikon because it has a unique bokeh from the 9 blade iris that can do "fade to circular highlights" trick, which is kind of cliche but still cool. But this lens looks really sharp wide open and the Bokeh looks good. Holy cow, it is big. Any place to get it for cheap?

• Yeap this lens is humongous with an adaptor. Gh2 would look like a rear lens cap. Stellar performance at 1.4.

• @vicharris, thanks for the link. I may grab one .. initially .. I intend to use a lens support on rails which holds the lens in addition to holding it up.

• @kavadni Did you order your Bower 35mm yet??

• @vicharris Please post the link for the tripod adapter. No need to be secretive about it.

• @leejb4, the bower adapter EOS to M4/3 arrived today

• @kavadni Nice, I would love to see some tests if you get the chance! I am in the process of purchasing a lens as well. P.s. It might have already been said but is there any difference between the branding or are all the lenses exactly the same? (ex. Bower, Samyang, Rokinon)

• @leejb4 .. I have had a Bower EOS to M4/3 adapter arrive, I am going to wait for the Rokinon Cine version to be released and then purchase the Canon variety of the 35mm lens

• @Ralph_B My bad! Here ya go. It works like a charm and solid as a rock. My Nikon should be here soon. So far non of the other chinese Nikon adapters focus to infinity for me. Hope this one does!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330635650626?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Probably a really dumb question but here goes. I just picked up the Nikon version of this lens since I decided to try and just use one damn adapter type and when I shake the lens, it feels like something is knocking back and forth. My canon doesn't have this it all. Anyone else out there experience this? The seller on Ebay is trying to tell me they've never experienced this when they had it but it seems to be a common QC issue from the factory. Think I got had here!