Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • @Zaven13 couldn't be said better! thumbs up!

• @LPowell is it possible that two copies of GH2 have slightly different sensors? Or a bit different response to the firmware? I currently have two GH2 bodies, one with FloMo v 2.02, another Sanity v5. The one with FloMo keeps looking sharper and more contrasty, for sure. I swapped the lenses but the result is still the same: Sanity seems to "brighten" the shadows, while FloMo gives, IMHO, better defined shadows (I see more detail), and also a bit punchier (more contrast.)

• @LPowell sorry for the delay. I've attached an uncompressed screenshot. This week we shot a flashmob and since reliability was a must I used FM 2.0.2, the camera never froze but you can see a lot of compression artifacts and visible blocks around fast moving parts which I've never seen on Driftwood's Mysteron (I've just opened a similar project on my mac shot on that gop1 hack to seek the same compression artifacts, but I know it's not fair, I'm gonna plan a side by side comparison with another GH2 and these two hacks). On the other hand the firmware never crashed which was my main goal for this event and I think I'm gonna keep your FM for a long time : )

The footage is 25P 1080 HBR - 160 ISO - Lumix 14-140 - 1/50 f/8 on Lexar Professional 32Gb 400x (60MB/s)

screenshot_flashmob.png
    1920 x 1002 - 3M
    screenshot_flashmob2.png
    1919 x 1002 - 3M
  • @Lanz1 From what I can see of your frame grabs, this looks like motion blur. If you can send me a copy of the original MTS file, I'll be happy to analyze it in detail.

• @LPowell yes, I know there's a lot of motion blur, but for example in the first pic look at the arm over the sky: it's blurred but there are a lot of compression blocks. Or look at the orange/brown wall behind: looks more like a low compressed JPEG rather than motion blur, same thing on the edges of check-patterned shirts. I mean... wait! For a 800 euros camera this is still wonderful, I know that I don't have a RED Epic in my hands (LOL!) ... I'm just asking for something impossible, right? ;P ... by the way you you should be proud of your amazing job: all my friends who shoots with canons got impressed when they saw my GH2 performing much better on this project than their 5Ds!

I'll upload the mts as soon as I can, I don't have a fast connection right now.

• @mo7ies Behave @Zaven13 I completely agree!

@LPowell I'm going out in a little to test FM2.2 in H mode as you suggested Lee.

Hopefully I get close to the same great IQ I've been getting with a little forgiveness during the torture tests.

• @Lanz1 & @LPowell: This footage is HBR, so before knowing how you are deinterlacing, I'd abstain from making any remarks about IQ...

• I reloaded FM2.2 and started chasing Dragon Fly's. I couldn't force a lock up in any mode today. Frame grab smooth -2 14-40 lens SP 125

• @peternap Wow, that's a major block fest you've got there. Are U sure it's FLM 2.0.2?

• @duartix I see no rectangular macroblock artifacts in the out-of-focus background. However, this is only a single frame. It would be more revealing to watch the background in motion, if @peternap can upload the MTS file?

• @LPowell Sorry Lee. I can't upload to Vimeo with that new format and Exposure Room won't take the MTS file. I may switch over to Chrome later and then I can upload to Vimeo. Glad you said something. I was just about to format the card without saving the files.

• @LPowell & @peternap :

That's strange. The file is SD resolution and at 250KB and Q99 it shouldn't look like a Lego landscape. The OOF backgrounds are a mess, Lee. The insect's wing contours are a mess. The leaves are a mess. It looks like a JPEG saved at 60% compression when it shouldn't...

I'm reuploading the original attached JPEG (this time as PNG) to check if anyone sees the same as I do.

download.png
    1280 x 720 - 897K
  • @duartix It may be the be the way it was grabbed as a JPEG. I still can't upload the MTS but I grabbed another frame with VLC as a PNG.

• I came across this teaser on Vimeo and I think it worths sharing

Shot on GH2 and FM.

View it in 1080p splendor

• @LongJohnSilver Nice work and shot on the older FM it looks like.

• @LongJohnSilver , wow, was this shot with GH2 !!!

• I wish the Vimeo full screen control worked here so we could view the videos in a larger window.

• Download the original file to view in Fullscreen, or turn "scaling" on in Vimeo. The downloaded file will look way better. way.

• I'm using Adobe Premiere CS5.5 and get "Error compiling movie" when trying to export an MPEG-2 movie for DVD with my video files recorded using Flow Motion v2.02. I have been using another hack preset for a while now and never had this problem in Premiere.

Randy

• @LPowell: Thank you for the very interesting explanations on HBR mode encoding.

I am not overly concerned with HBR quality since I'm not going to use it much. Nevertheless I wanted to find out whether the artifacts I saw in the "moving tree leaves" HBR recording were caused by an erraneous interpretation of the material as interlaced, so I did a test shot where I moved a page of a book with tables (many thin vertical lines) in front of the camera, brightly lit, at 1s/4000 shutter speed, such that if there was any kind of interlacing going on, I should clearly see it. But there wasn't any distortion in those lines, they looked perfecty straight. Only when shooting the same scenery with low light / high ISO, then I started to see some "zig-zag" artifacts, not unlike the HBR artifacts that I saw in the "moving leaves" shot, but also not easy to distinguish from the inevitable noise distorting the image.

I guess the different encoding the "even" and "odd" lines are subject could explain the difficulty of HBR recording in detail-rich scenes. When I look at the first .png Lanz1 posted above, the metal frame of the lantern seems to exhibit a little of that kind of "zig zag" artifacts I was also experiencing. But it could also be just unavoidable inaccuracies occuring at ~50MBit/s bit rate.

• I was able to get around the "Error compiling movie" problem by applying a CC filter to each of the video files.

Randy

• @peternap A world of a difference.

• @duartix I'm glad you said something. I'm out in the boonies now on the laptop and can't see the MB's. It looked fine to me. Other than an occasional lockup, I've never had a problem with FM or FM2.2...certainly not with the image quality.

• @rockhunter

just click on the vimeo logo and you'll go on the vimeo page. Full screen, scaling off and you are set!

On the comments there is a description how it was filmed.

Bye

• Hi guys, I know this may seem really random and I dont know even if it's been mentioned here before, BUT I was wondering, how does Flowchart compare with Driftwood's patches in terms of quality and reliability???

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions