Personal View site logo
My reasons for moving away from apple
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • I read a lot of forum about preferences for Canon's, panasonic's, sony's.... always decent constructive arguments. Whenever someone talks about preferences in Apple/Microsoft/Linux, it comes down to agressive replies.

This is getting really boring.... (and of course, your reply will be "then stop reading") :)

• @Zeko Do you know what else is getting (already got) boring? Being called fanboy and listening to people saying (directly or indirectly) that Mac users are stupid and Apple control their brains.

So you're right about aggressive replies, but that's only half the story.

I read a lot of forum about preferences for Canon's, panasonic's, sony's.... always decent constructive arguments

This would be great but It's not the truth...

• @Kino 2012 MacPros are almost identical to 2010 MacPros so I agree with people saying this is not a "real" update.

On the other hand let me point out that newer Xeons aren't a lot faster than previous ones:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e5-2687w-benchmark-review,3149-10.html

A 16-core Xeon-X5 machine turned out to be, on average, 21% faster than a 12-core Xeon Westmere machine.

Not bad but if I had the latter I'd "stick with it".

• @rikyxxx & @Zeko:

Unfortunately every tool has a purpose... Working within a pro environment (or any environment) means working across many systems... if you are able to stick to Windows then that is great. Linux makes a great server solution, or SAN/NAS storage controller.

I personally like using OS X, and honestly there is very little difference between Windows 7 and OS X...

And now in mid 2012 you need to "roll your own" serious desktop for both!

What you can translate from that is that both require XP in your life from time to time... (that is what I have found).

What I am liking about FCPX is that it 'forces' - nay- 'demands' that I think about my media. Very important. Using a NLE for editing and data management not compositing!

And strangely enough FCPX is frankly more usable for audio in its 'beta' form than FCP7 - go figure!

(And personally I have discovered that Apple Motion is suddenly usable!) Who would have thought.

YMMV...

• @alcomposer

Agree 100%.

FCPX, although a little premature when launched, is a great improvement in terms of usability and introduced little "gems" like syncing external audio automatically.

One thing I really disliked about peterosinski's article is how it was "dishonest" about FCPX: some people complained about it, it's true, but some others eventually got to like it even better than FCP7 => http://www.izzyvideo.com/regarding-final-cut-pro-x/ (the comments are even more interesting...)

• Mac user since 92. My reasons for moving away from Apple are simple.

1. Price
    2. Self built machines are easy to upgrade, so I don't have to get a new 2500€ machine when I want a newer CPU for example.
    3. Apple updates are in many cases a year or two behind PCs, although they've stepped their game up in recent years. But then again, update frequency.
    4. I don't use Apple's own music or video software, so the switch is easy for me.

Pretty much a no-brainer if you ask me...

• @Mordae,

That does sound like a no-brainer... At the end of the day the MOST important thing is the product. And if you are making great stuff with your gear then that is all that matters. I suppose like @VK there must be a 'thrill' with people using 'your' solution,... (or a solution that you think is cool)... however the OUTCOME is the only important thing here.

• Aside from the macs. Would you guys continue to use macbooks?

I usually do event videography requiring edit on the fly. I haven't looked into a solid enough portable laptop other than macbook pro. We are using it with Premiere installed.

What your guys recommendation on the portable versions?

• @peterosinski, Even the holy book has been the reason for dividing Christians as an institution - this is just a computer company we are talking about. So let's all take it easy. Questions is, what is that worthy replacement out there that you are content with ?