Personal View site logo
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • @samuelcabral, @neveraholiday , @rojover and @Vitaliy_Kiselev. It would be a real bonus to crank up this crippled little gem! The codec is indeed very weak! But @ the beginning of this thread Vitaly says he hates this camera, so..... OK the answer just came from the man himself!

• It doesn't need hacking, GH3 is around the corner an will b rocking AVCHD 2.0 and probably match EM-5's strengths give or take.

• Ok, sorry Vitaliy :) Anyway, if anybody is interested in the mic adapter mod, let me know and I'll put some pics and drawings ;)

• Did a lot of testing with the new OM-D EM-5 the last couple of days. IS works fine with my Sachtler Artemis steadicam rig. Straight horizons are far more easily now! With arichitecture @ the side of the frame you can see the trick! Corrections can be spotted in the lines of buidings but IS is still great! M.Zuiko Digital 12mm 2.0 lens is a juwel and beautyfull crafted!

In strobing daylight shots taken from a open cabriolet car i got huge macroblocking:

Any opinions here? Do i have a bad copy or is the codec that weak??

Did also a test with la7200 anamorphic lensadapter combined with the 12mm:

pros:

• beautifull screen

• 3d pictures and good overall picture iq (see picture below)

• movement and sharpness remain a bit better while panning/zooming etc. @ 30p

• IS works beautyfully!

• nicely build & small

• very little ghosting & great AF

• good resolution

cons:

• only 30p

• no 720 50/60

• weak codec - not fit for fast changing/flickering light with fast movement

• no M control in video while filming (maybe i need to read the manual?)

• no MF assist with manual glass

• no omnidirectional screen

• quite expensive

• no build in mikejack (sold as a accessoire)

Pic below is shot with the Leica 25mm lens:

P1010103.JPG
    4608 x 2592 - 7M
  • Appart from vitaly. Any one can hack this camera?

• @rojover i interested in your SEMA-1 mod, put your photos or draw please.

I think integrate mic of E-M5 is better that Olympus mic ME-51S of SEMA-1. Mic ME-51S is very poor in music bass. Audio Technica ATR-3350 i think cheap and good mic to connect SEMA-1 adapter. Rhode Videomic pro stereo is good also, but expensive.

• NEX system have small problem, have only 7 digital native lenses available now. m4/3 have 30 lens or more

• DI.SUPPORT@OLYMPUS-EUROPA.COM esta es la dirección para quejarse sobre el bitrate (que lo aumenten como mínimo a 35 mbps) y los 24p y 25p que estamos en europa........

• @JOSELUISGARCI Seriously? On a forum where everyone speaks english, you decide to speak spanish (or portugese?) and believe everyone will understand. But on I side note, I do agree that 35mbps and those framerates would a fine addition, although I understand that the hacking process is very hard and doubt it will happen.

I hope other companies will take note from the GoPro and make their own "ProTune".

• @JOSELUISGARCI @Mordae Vitaly gave already his answer @ the top of this page. I bought the OM-D 2 weeks ago, got my doubts 'bout 30p only and esp. how the codec acted during many tests! It's no camera for skaters or other sportive shooters or fast panning and tilting, forget it! You get one smudge of dirty macroblocking during fast actions or fast changing light! If the camera finds back it's flow you shoot very detailed, clear footage. It's ideal for slow steadicamshooting because of it's IS and close-ups and it has a new kind of IQ considering resolution in still mode for micro 4/3. It is all very crispy but at the same time a bit odd to spend 1600 euro ++ (12mm lens incl.) and still have doubts. I could have it brought back with full return of the sum i bought it for, but instead i kept it. It has to many pro's which are stated in my previous post. A hacked GH2 is more allround and value for money than Om-D though, so i will definitely keep them untill GH3 shows up!

• Olympus E-M5 vs Nikon D800:

I think E-M5 with IS 5 axis is better

• Music video recording with Olympus E-M5 and Olympus i-SPEED PL

• @cocute I just came here to post the same video. You're right -- the Olympus does seem to offer better video, mainly I think because of the stabilization it applies to the scenes. It remains to be seen how the Oly would cope in areas where the D800 might shine, i.e., detail, lower light, DR, and most importantly, clean HDMI for 4:2:2.

• @ahbleza Sorry E-M5 have HDMI out only usable to playback photos and videos, not usable to capture video and not usable to use in live view when shooting photo o video. And don't think official update firmware to fix this. :-( Hope is a hack. :-)

• Just wanted to add that I emailed technical.support[at]olympus-europa.com to ask them about the possibility of adding higher bitrates, 24/25fps, and stabilisation for third-party lenses. The reply I got was that there was no information regarding firmware updates for these features, but that my comment would be forwarded to the technical team. It might be worth anyone who's interested emailing as well, with enough interest they may decide it's worth providing a firmware upgrade.

• My last video with the OMD E-M5 :

• @fabrys , "film look" very nice colors, is it graded or straight from the camera ?

• @feha : Not straight from the camera : color upgrading with Magic Bullet Modjo in FC7.

• @oboemaroni I've been emailing them since they released the original PEN. They just don't understand video and why anyone would want other frame rates let alone better codecs, despite the fact that they make some great lenses that would be ideally suited for cine use.

jb

• @johnbrawley That's frustrating. I really want a camera which is as good for video as the GH2, but with stabilisation and better stills abilities. The OM-D looks great but for the key problems with codecs and frame rates. Looks like I'm going to have to get a Sony instead, which is a shame for me and for Olympus!

• obo - same here... hard time deciding between this and the nex.

the IBIS is BOSS... i mean its poor mans steadycam!

i'll donate $200 for a hack.