Personal View site logo
AN "Valkyrie", GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, natural, Freeze-less Reliable All-round GOP3 Settings :-)
  • 1001 Replies sorted by
  • @bkmcwd took some footage today with my new-old (NOS) Vivitar 28-108 mm. I am starting to like this lens. I find the GOP3ZILLA beta 5 a good compromise between size and quality. Thanks @bkmcwd!

• @ Silent users of my settings :-)

I release new "GOLGOP3-13-MAX_SednaAQ1C_Standard_BETA1" setting.

I think that recording will stop shortly after not making especially 720/60p moderate so far. Since the I frame became quite small with 6GOP in 720/60p, I returned to 9GOP.

Stability (don't stop during recording) is thought as important especially in my settings.

*Deblocking tables are substituted by your liking.

Although the performance under lowlight is not different from a normal version, the image quality in the scene which requires high stress improves in this MAX version. However, with MAX version, playback in camera may not often be available in 24p. This is because the maximum frame size which can be played back by GH2 may be exceeded. Of course, the file which cannot be played back in camera can also be satisfactorily played in PC. Supposing you consider that the playback in a camera is important, I will not recommend you this setting. Please use normal version. However, IQ of MAX version is better than normal versions especially in high stressed scene, IMO.

Special thanks to @driftwood. :-)

Please try it!

*Of course, already combined with excellent audio tune @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2"

NOTE:

*Although bit rate setups are quite high, the bit rate which actually appears are lower than these. Since the actual bit rate changes by the object to shoot, please confirm by yourself.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with super mega size I-frames.

*24p80%(30p) is available in 24L only.

*In PAL Mode, I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card strongly.

*In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*EX Tele works.(Not tested yet, but probably)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. In other mode, need test.

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

Please download original raw data from vimeo and check actual IQ.

bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-MAX_SednaAQ1C_standard_BETA1.zip
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX_SednaAQ1C_ST_24p_ISO800_ramen_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 635 - 184K
  • @liquidify

You are welcome! :-) Did you enjoy Japan? If you do not mind, I would like to see the movie of the trip.

• i just returned from japan. I used your setting golgop3 natural for a bunch of stuff there so that I could conserve space compared to the higher bitrate driftwood settings. Your patch did very well. Thank you.

I have slightly changed BETA6 only in 60p and release "GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard_V2_BETA7" setting.

Most characters of this BETA7 setting are the same as BETA6. Only 60p is changed. But I am not sure which is better BETA5, BETA6 or BETA7.

However, I think all these settings are very stable in all mode.

Please try it!

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard_V2_BETA7.zip
    941B
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B7_24p_ISO3200_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 634 - 189K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B7_HBR30p_ISO3200_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1295 x 632 - 175K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B7_60p_ISO3200_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 633 - 175K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2_B7_24p_ISO3200_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 634 - 192K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2_B7_HBR30p_ISO3200_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 633 - 177K
  • @kndkndknd

Thanks for testing my settings! :-)

• @bkmcwd, Thanks for your new settings.

I used GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard V2 Beta5 FH, NOS(-2.-2.0.-2) and the lens was Soligor 25mm f1.5 c-mount lens.

Thanks for your work.

test20120602.jpg
    1365 x 769 - 348K
  • @driftwood

I realized now that the second half of your comment is added...

Although I have tried before the setting in which the B frame becomes large relatively, I am never pleased with I frame size becoming small too much. By such a reason, I am looking for the setting that the size of the I frame does not fall as much as possible, now.

Thanks again! :-)

@karl

Many thanks for detailed comparison test in FM2 thread! :-)

I think that the result may change by the difference in Deblocking Tables. I am just still going to improve further more. Please tell me the point which you noticed anything, thanks.

• @driftwood Wow! Thanks for the tip! Thinking such is rational. :-)

• @LPowell Film mode was CINEMA[+2.-2.+1.-2] when it froze. Not with test chart but real fine textiles under the halogen bulb.

Although the frozen direct cause is not known, I think whether the bit rate was too high.

• @driftwood - "As soon as you go over Max GOP Size of 1,000,000 Bytes youre in troubled waters."

Very true, and that's why increasing the GOP-length won't necessarily make a patch more stable. At one point I was favoring a 3-frame GOP for 720p, but its high-detail performance didn't hold up as well the 6-frame GOP I used in Flow Motion v2.

Note also that the interlaced field encoding of FSH and HBR modes can be regarded as a kind of interleaved 540p60 mode. From that perspective, a 3-frame HBR GOP contains a 6-field GOP: I p B b B b. So in that way it makes sense to pair a 6-frame 720p GOP with a 3-frame 1080i GOP..

• @bkmcwd GH2 Memory. Not enough for 60 frames per second. That is why.

As soon as you go over Max GOP Size of 1,000,000 Bytes youre in troubled waters.

You have to try and divide up the frames in the GOP accordingly - and that means allocating x to i frames, x to P/b frames - its like dividing up the pie. Once youre happy with whatever frame limit/ FBs, etc... keep tweaking 'GOP Related' together with increments/decrements in quantisation and encoder setting 720p ... but notice when B frames look great, i frames begin to get lower!

Fun game eh?! ;-)

• @bkmcwd 720p60 is the highest bitrate the GH2 supports and it appears to suffer from a narrower range of stability than 720p50 or any other video mode. What were your shooting conditions in the shot that froze? It's puzzling that I haven't once been able to provoke 720p in v2.01 to fail, and I've put it through my most extreme tests repeatedly. Perhaps it does have an issue with wide-angle Panasonic zooms?

• @karl Thanks for testing my setting! :-)

"Using this opportunity, I did some IQ comparison shots, I just posted them in the FlowMotion 2 thread."

I am looking forward to seeing the result very much.

"Regarding beta6: Are you sure that a higher bitrate for 720p60 is worth the risk to have the same problem that FM 2.01 still has? I mean: Can you actually see a better IQ for 720p60 in beta6 than in beta5?"

60p of FM2.01 was immediately frozen also in my test. BETA5 and BETA6 of me do not stop in the same test. For the moment in MY view, I think that around 53M is the limit of 60p. The efforts for raising IQ in the limit are continued. Although I have already begun the next improvement with another approach, I think that BETA6 is better than BETA5.

@LPowell

60p of FM2.01 was immediately frozen also in my test with pany 14-45mm F5.6 SS1/60 ISO1600. Why does only 60p of GH2 have so low tolerance?

• @karl Yes, my tests of shooting video in automated Still-Frame modes worked reliabliy without failing in FH and H modes, where Flow Motion v2.01 is limited to peak bitrates of 60Mbps. FSH mode also seemed to work reliably as well, it appears the problem only occurs in 720p SH mode.

• @LPowell: Not yet. The next chance may be some time away (has to be noon again, sun & wind present...), can you already recommend a more specific setting (as in: exposure mode A, S, or M)?

• @karl Have you had a chance to confirm that the problem you reported occurs only when shooting 720p SH mode with Flow Motion v2.01 in auto-exposure Still-Frame P-mode? In my testing, I haven't been able to provoke recording failures in any Creative Movie video modes.

• I installed GOP3ZILLA-MAX_Standard_V2_BETA5 right after I had tried FlowMotion 2.01 (which still has a 720p60 stopping issue for me).

Using this opportunity, I did some IQ comparison shots, I just posted them in the FlowMotion 2 thread.

Regarding beta6: Are you sure that a higher bitrate for 720p60 is worth the risk to have the same problem that FM 2.01 still has? I mean: Can you actually see a better IQ for 720p60 in beta6 than in beta5?

I have slightly improved BETA5 only in 60p and release "GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard_V2_BETA6" setting.

Most characters of this BETA6 setting are the same as BETA5. Only 60p is improved so that the bit rate may become high a little.

I think this setting is very stable in all mode.

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard_V2_BETA6.zip
    921B
  • @safari Thanks! :-)

I am always using DIY SteadiCam currently displayed on my profile.

• @bkmcwd Downloaded the 24p Vimeo sample...WOW! Nice ....One question...that is some nice steady cam work....what equip do you have for your steadycam? ..really smooth..I like!

• @ Silent users of my settings again :-)

I release new "GOP3ZILLA-MAX_Standard_V2_BETA5" setting.

*The difference from BETA3 is only 720/60p.

*The BETA4 is not good.

I think that recording will stop shortly after not making especially 720/60p moderate so far. Since the I frame became quite small with 6GOP in 720/60p, I returned to 9GOP.

Stability (don't stop during recording) is thought as important especially in my settings.

The stability of FSH, HBR, and SH were improved in this BETA5. And, in this setting, bitrate is slightly improved from BETA3.

Although the performance under lowlight is not different from a normal version, the image quality in the scene which requires high stress improves in this MAX version. However, with MAX version, playback in camera may not often be available in 24p. This is because the maximum frame size which can be played back by GH2 may be exceeded. Of course, the file which cannot be played back in camera can also be satisfactorily played in PC. Supposing you consider that the playback in a camera is important, I will not recommend you this setting. Please use normal version. However, IQ of MAX version is better than normal versions, IMO.

Please try it!

*Of course, already combined with excellent audio tune @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2"

NOTE:

*Although bit rate setups are quite high, the bit rate which actually appears are lower than these. Since the actual bit rate changes by the object to shoot, please confirm by yourself.

*24p80%(30p) is available in 24H and 24L both.

*In PAL Mode, I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card strongly.

*In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. In other mode, need test.

StreamParser results are here:http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/66026#Comment_66026

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard_V2_BETA5.zip
    936B
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B5_60p_ISO400_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 634 - 183K
  • This setting is not good. The improved version has been released.

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard_V2_BETA4.zip
    922B

UPDATE(2012/06/01): I release new "GOP3ZILLA-MAX_Standard_V2_BETA5" setting.http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/66232#Comment_66232

I release new "GOP3ZILLA-MAX_Standard_V2_BETA3" setting.

The stability of FSH, HBR, and SH were improved in this BETA3.

Although the performance under lowlight is not different from a normal version, the image quality in the scene which requires high stress improves in this MAX version. However, with MAX version, playback in camera may not often be available in 24p. This is because the maximum frame size which can be played back by GH2 may be exceeded. Of course, the file which cannot be played back in camera can also be satisfactorily played in PC. Supposing you consider that the playback in a camera is important, I will not recommend you this setting. Please use normal version.

Please try it!

NOTE:

*24p80%(30p) is available in 24H and 24L both.

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard_V2_BETA3.zip
    927B
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B3_24p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 634 - 180K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B3_HBR25p_ISO400_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 180K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B3_HBR30p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 180K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B3_50p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 633 - 181K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_ST_V2B3_60p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1295 x 633 - 181K
  • Since my PC revived, I tested also about PAL several times with latest GOP3ZILLA-MAX_BETAs. The results were not bad when "1080i50 GOP Table" was changed as mentioned above. "720p50" is also good. BETA3 is due to be released soon. :-)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters