Personal View site logo
DAW for music production
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • Very happy with Sonar X1 here (the updates were critical)

• Bitwig = vaporware, not even a Beta (or even a bad Beta).

• @Mr_Moore

Sorry? On your link I don't see similar software.
    All I see is some community oriented MIDI thing that is long ceased to exist, or I am wrong?

• Ohm Studio is the first real-time collaborative digital audio workstation.

Only it’s not.
    1994 called and said hello: http://www.jamwith.us/about_us/rocket_history.shtml

• I like REAPER. Bitwig also sounds interesting, except it hasn't been released yet.

• Ohm Studio is the first real-time collaborative digital audio workstation. Start a project, invite musicians and make music together. It's as simple as that.

http://www.ohmstudio.com/

• Steinberg nuendo is excellent

• Sadly 99.99% of the world do use Pro Tools for TV production with the occasional Fairlight and doorstop erm I mean Audiofile thrown in for nostalgia lol In the end audio goes in one end comes out the other - AVID are merging Pro Tools with media composer after version 10 so that might change a few minds in the audio community.

+1 for Cubase - rebooted mine after years on Logic and had fun with it last week - very easy to use.

Only seen Pyramix used recently as a film dubber to record stems to, and by a few chums who use it to record live (with MADI for the easy input runs) but it's a very comprehensive and nice DAW with good hardware.

• Bit of an irrational selection for comparison imo. Logic Pro should be compared against Sonar X1, Cubase and such. I'll second the comments on Samplitude, an incredible package for the price really, I've been using it since the early SeK'D version on the Amiga.

• Sequoia, Samplitude and Pyramix for the best audio with video capabilities; keep a copy of ProTools handy for those all too frequent occurrences where people think it is somehow better. From the audio point of view, Samplitude is a very good deal because of the Spectral NR, which is similar to the really expensive ones. NR is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. It also comes with sophisticated Impulse Reverb built in. However, it lacks 4 point crossfades, which is the big difference between high end DAW and midlevel DAW. For live recording on a budget, consider Reaper, which is very, very hard to crash, and when it does crash it leaves the audio on the disk. Personally, I will not edit without 4 point CF, because there is such a big difference in the quality of the end product and the time it takes to get there. But you can get there on a budget with Samplitude, and remove the cell phones as well.