Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • Here's a quickly cut montage from yesterday. All at 24p but everything else changed from shot to shot. Just trying to tests the limits outdoors. Again, sorry about the horrible handheld. Kind of hard to put down a tripod on the backlot at Paramount!

• As I remember, it is possible adjusting screws.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev From the outside of the lens I hope? Tomorrow, monday, I have to make the decision rather I want the lens or my money returned. Love the lens so I hope I can adjust a screw to set focus little beyond infinity.

• @vicharris It seems your lens is ok, much more usable. earlier I promised video captured with the lens returned. below is the one. shot handheld, sorry for shaky image

• I compared my Noktor to my Lumix 14-42mm kit lens. Infinity focus is on par but the Noktor gets very soft at wide aperture. No surprises there. I'll do a test video like dream_beam's for comparison when the weather clears up here...

In the meanwhile, here's a bunch of frames from video a shot at an exhibition yesterday. 24H, Cake2.3 patch, Noktor 12mm lens. No grading.

I'm quite happy with these shots (beginner videographer here). Just missed the lens flares in the light bulbs shot while shooting. Something to remember with this lens. It's just a bit in the posted frame but it gets worse in the rest of the take.

00004.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 505K
    00020.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 839K
    00032.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 435K
    00024.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 740K
    00037.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 369K
    00022.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 915K
    00026.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 723K
    00045.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 560K
    00039.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 633K
  • Btw, a 1-to-1 comparison of the current production Noktor and the Olympus 12mm f/2 would be very interesting...

• @dtr what exhibition was that? looks interesting..

• Expo by students of the ArtScience department of The Hague's art academy. If you happen to be around, the 'dark side' chapter of the expo is over but today and tomorrow is the 'bright side' part at De Besturing: https://www.facebook.com/events/249104075189613/

• Thanks @dtr It's not quite travelling distance for me unfortunatly.. but sparks an idea to start a thread for interesting filmmaking or art film exhibitions, thanks :)

• @soundgh2: thanks, nice test! looks like this is with a pre-'cine' version though (reversed focus ring). i wonder if there's possible discrepancies between the two, which could explain the focus issue some people experience. or maybe it's just bad assembling.

The only big issue I really have with the SLR Magic is with flares and that haze.

Yep.

• Btw, SLR Magic is coming out with a Voigtlander rival...

• @dtr I think there's some variance in QC - I was a lucky one no problems here, however you may be right mines the same as the one in the comparison - oh and I bought it for the flares hehe - personally think some of the new glass looks too precise, too sharp, but hey horse for courses!

• @soundgh2 +1 completely agree, I now consider myself lucky for getting a good copy after hearing all these stories... Better take good care of it, as any replacement might be a lemon. Having said that, since I have had it, I have been spending a lot less time on this forum :), well and it has been busy too. There are many other choices for people who need auto focus or a different (or wider) look.

• Mine does go a gnats cojones past infinity, but at least it gets there by the look of some of the problems.

• @CrazyPete, got my Lanparte gear ring today...pictures/video to come!

• Here's a little piece I put together trying to push the SLR Lens to it's limits at night. I never went higher than ISO1200 and was set on Nostalgic -2,-2,0,-2 and 3200 WB. I was changing the aperture so I can't give that but never went above 5.6. Just a little bit of CC when I was under horrid fluorescent lighting to lessen the green nastiness. Think I'm starting to like it!

• Here are some pictures of the Lanparte adjustable gear belt with the Fifty Dollar Follow Focus. It works fine, just need to set it at infinity with the handle at 12 o'clock to get the most movement.

DSC03012.JPG
    4608 x 2592 - 3M
    DSC03013.JPG
    4608 x 2592 - 2M
    DSC03014.JPG
    4608 x 2592 - 3M
    DSC03015.JPG
    4608 x 2592 - 3M
  • @vicharris I like your video and I'm glad the lens is working well for you. It seems like it should be a good low light lens.

@fosterchen I'm glad I was able to help. That looks like it will work well. I notice that you have a filter on there with out any step up ring, do you see any vignetting?

• Test Shot!

• @CrazyPete Thanks! It seems to be working well. I'm heading to panasonic tomorrow to test it out on their af100's. They seemed to be pretty impressed with the lens at Cine Gear. Also, I found a $8 step-up ring, 58-77 that works fine for my ND. Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005R4QHFG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

There's no way we should be paying $50-$80 for this thing!

• @vicharris The Slr magic is holding up great at night, nice video! How is the lens doing with ETC mode?

• @CrazyPete there is no vignetting that I see so far in video mode, but I haven't tested all the photo modes, which I'm thinking probably will have some. Maybe outdoors stopped down I'll see some, but it doesn't bother me that much for my purposes. This is a regular 58mm UV filter that I just put on for testing use, since I have an extra Canon cap that fits this nicely...no more screw on cap! I'll try to do a better example of a focus pull from infinity to macro!

• @RawB Yep, it's looking pretty sweet. Haven't really tried to much ETC yet. I'll do some tests and see.

• @fosterchen Is there a place to buy that FF right now? Looks perfect for the SLR since it's so small and out of the way. A full size FF is just to much.

• got mine today, bought it used but "comes as new" from a collegue who owned 12mm Oly and Noktor both decided to keep Oly. I did a short Test in the backyard. Indeed it is a little soft but for me with a slight highpass filter sharpness is perfect plus I can go for standard softness. CM Skin Soft 24p, standard -1/-1/-1/-1 , f=2 (afair) Heliopan Vario NF 77mm with 58/77 adapter, ISO 320

12mm.png
    1937 x 1095 - 3M