Personal View site logo
DIY Blimp for less than £20
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • At least these days we have the internet so we can learn first from other people's DIY successes/stuff ups and decide if we want to go there or not. And of course if there is a bargain that actually works the word gets around.

• @Rambo - My Rycote is just a bag with velcro tabs, so maybe not a Softie at all.

Where I live, there's no kit rental shop. When you want something, you DIY. Everyone, from mechanics to TV techs, have workshops and their work is - at best, better than anything you wait a week for; at worst it's over-engineered.

• The limitation of the softie is that in really strong wind, the exposed end of the mic is subject to wind buffeting that moves the mic physically causing low rumbles, even if the ports are completely covered with fur. That's why for serious wind, you need a fully-enclosed blimp... or at least another softie stuck on the other end! Seriously:you'd be amazed how much a second softie over the other end of the mic (with a cutout for the cable) can get you through wind conditions that are too much for just one softie on the front end of the mic.

• Makes no sense spending $250 for a blimp for an $19 mic. I ordered one as well. Please report-back on your results. $20-40 is max to spend on a $20 mic for this.

• Oh I like DIY and do heaps of it, as some stuff i need just isn't available to buy, but you're right, after a few stuff ups it would have been better buying right in the first place, plus you can always sell it, no one buys DIY secondhand.

• I'm all for DIY when it's cost effective and practical. However I see many DIY's that end up costing more in $$$ and time than simply buying the right tool for the job in the first place. And then does the damn thing even work? For some it's a learning experience... for others? Well they'll never learn!

(An insight from a semi-cured DIY'er!) ;>P

• @Roberto >This avoids mic shuffle as well as wind.

So does the handle that comes with the Softie link i posted above, but i rarely need it as the Senny has good internal isolation from shuffling.

The cheap shoguns have loose XLR sockets and rattle like crazy. Good quality mics and cables have rubber O rings etc, worth every but of the extra bucks.

• @Rambo

Rycote Softie - that's what I used - but with the plastic frame inside, rubber bands isolate the shotgun from the sides. This avoids mic shuffle as well as wind.

• I've never needed a fully enclosed blimp for my K6 based Sennheiser shotgun even when travelling 20 mph in an open boat in windy conditions. If you use a Professional windsock like a genuine Rycote Softie and not a cheap aftermarket copy, they work fantastic. Not cheap, but you will have it for years. http://www.rycote.com/products/softie_kit/

• @kronstadt

Yes, you do need audio-transparent fabric. I have a blimp I made using a genuine fluffy dog replacement cover, complete with drawstring. For a cage I used plastic garden-mesh, heated and moulded it into round-ended cylinder with my hands while wearing welding gloves. Light and works perfectly.

The bird-feeder sounds great. (Bugger, I just threw one out when the birds ignored it!)

• My own opinion - get Rode Blimp. It is about $204-240 is USA (shipped to me was $260):
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=rode%20blimp&_sacat=0&_clu=2&_fcid=168&_localstpos=&_stpos=&gbr=1
    And it really great tool.

2 fluffy faux-fur lady's ankle warmers

This can be absolutely unsuitable as you need acoustically transparent cloth and good fur.